Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Do you put picture on your WhatsApp account?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

PassionFruit

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 8:09 pm
I do for my business

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 11:22 pm
giselle wrote:
I have 874 contacts.

Yes that's true. But I have the handyman, the plumber, school principal, doctor, and many other men in contacts often for different reasons. We went horseback riding at the time and I had the number of the owner of the ranch....etc.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 11:24 pm
seeker wrote:
So what? It's not a picture of my exotic vacation or embarrassing Purim costume, you can't even see if the room behind me is messy. It's a basic head shot so people know who you are. Does it bother you that people see your face when you go shopping, to shul, to pick up your kids, to the doctor's office? Which creepy thing exactly could happen as a result of putting a profile picture on WhatsApp that would not happen without it? Asking out of honest curiosity.

The fact that a random guy has a picture of me that he can look at and save onto his phone its enough for me.

There's a difference between someone seeing you in the street and someone being able to own a picture of you on their device for them to look at at any time.

Aylat

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 11:27 pm
I have a picture of some multi-coloured beads. Don't want a pic of myself or family, I just am uncomfortable with all the over-sharing that is social media. I have lots of contacts and am on lots of groups for work, kids' school etc. It's not a 'men having my photo' thing, it's my general aversion to social media.

dorothy1

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 11:35 pm
I have a picture of my baby
Most of my contacts seem to have a picture of their kids

etky

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 11:44 pm
Aylat wrote:
I have a picture of some multi-coloured beads. Don't want a pic of myself or family, I just am uncomfortable with all the over-sharing that is social media. I have lots of contacts and am on lots of groups for work, kids' school etc. It's not a 'men having my photo' thing, it's my general aversion to social media.

This, exactly.
Also, the Whatsapp photo has become just another, albeit subtle way to send subtle messages about ones status. Anything other than a frank advertisment or basic headshot is a form of bragging and IMHO a real turn off to be honest

etky

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 11:46 pm
dorothy1 wrote:
I have a picture of my baby
Most of my contacts seem to have a picture of their kids

Which in no way helps people who aren't close friends or relatives identify who you are.

giselle

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 12:07 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Yes that's true. But I have the handyman, the plumber, school principal, doctor, and many other men in contacts often for different reasons. We went horseback riding at the time and I had the number of the owner of the ranch....etc.

That’s my point. Not about men specifically, but just about having so many random contacts.

Mrs.K

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 12:12 am
100%. I have very few contacts in my phone and feel very frustrated when people message me and I have no idea who they are. I'm always grateful for a picture whether it's a mother in my child's class or a new neighbor inviting me to a kiddush.

It would never dawn on me that this is 'advertising' or 'bragging', and I sincerely hope that not everyone thinks this way. It's simply my way of saying, hey, I may not be in your contacts, so it's me.

etky

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 12:46 am
Mrs.K wrote:
100%. I have very few contacts in my phone and feel very frustrated when people message me and I have no idea who they are. I'm always grateful for a picture whether it's a mother in my child's class or a new neighbor inviting me to a kiddush.

It would never dawn on me that this is 'advertising' or 'bragging', and I sincerely hope that not everyone thinks this way. It's simply my way of saying, hey, I may not be in your contacts, so it's me.

A simple headshot is not advertising or bragging.

believeit

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:12 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
No I do not. I just dont like having my picture out there for any joe shmoe to see (and god forbid use)

I feel the same way.

etky

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:24 am
Among my contacts right now, here are some of the pictures that people have put in their acount:
children and grandchildren (doesn't help identify messager, especially infants who look completely generic)
family portrait from wedding or other event
picture of person on cruise
picture of person hiking
son& future daughter in law at engagement party
soldier son at his swearing in
head shot in cap and gown from graduation
husband and wife on vacation in loving pose
person in running gear

None of these pictures are solely (if at all) for the purpose of identifcation.
They serve the same purpose as FB and instagram accounts.
BTW, if I message someone who is not a contact I preface the interaction by stating who the message is from.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:27 am
I don't consider Whatsapp as a frivolous social media app. It's probably my main means of communication. I like to know what my conversation patner looks like. So I return the favor, using a photo of me as well. I also find it is more professional to have a photo of yourself on Whatsapp. I used to have my kids, as many people I know do, but I changed it to my self after I joined a group for women I took a class with and realized I had no idea who was who because everyone had their children as a profile pic. I figured, I want people to know who I am for my own right, in a group setting and as an individual. If I'm talking to a service provider or therapist or whatever.
I don't belong to any huge groups, mostly family, coworkers, neighbors and other parents of my children. They all know what I look like. Nobody is oggling my headshot. I honestly don't see the issue. I don't get women (or men) posing half-nude on their whatsapp account it's so ackward when you contact with them professionaly.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:28 am
Ha yes, people even see me in the street

chanchy123

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:32 am
thunderstorm wrote:
Mrs. Popular !

I have a total of 10 contacts

Wow. About 90% of the numbers on my phone have whatsapp accounts. They can range from my mom to my child's former teacher, to a number my husband once asked me to jot down so he can have it.

etky

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:35 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Wow. About 90% of the numbers on my phone have whatsapp accounts. They can range from my mom to my child's former teacher, to a number my husband once asked me to jot down so he can have it.

Whatsapp is far less popular in other places than in Israel where if you're not on Whatsapp you effectively don't exist.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:39 am
etky wrote:
Whatsapp is far less popular in other places than in Israel where if you're not on Whatsapp you effectively don't exist.

I know, the difference is still striking.
None of my DH'S siblings or their spouses have Whatsapp, here in Israel. It makes communication so difficult.

etky

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:43 am
chanchy123 wrote:
I know, the difference is still striking.
None of my DH'S siblings or their spouses have Whatsapp, here in Israel. It makes communication so difficult.

Lol, we have the same exact problem but with DH's siblings in the States.

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:50 am
Mrs.K wrote:

Just because there is a picture doesn't mean people automatically know and recognize the person. Even when I did have a picture I always opened up saying:

"Hey it's LovesHashem from the shul group, you know who I am? I'm the one who looks like xyz, or was talking to you about xyz. I was wondering...."

yo'ma

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 7:24 am
etky wrote:

Have you been elsewhere? It's very popular where I live. Almost every store and business has a whatsapp number. And everyone I know here and the states who has a smartphone has whatsapp.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics