Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Admission cards
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 7:37 pm
This will be the first year I'm sending DS to a real school. The school requires an admission fee, building fee and monthly tuition. We have paid the admission fee, and first month tuition but for specific financial reasons we do not have the required building fund fee to pay right now. We explained to the school but they won't hear of it and will not give us an admission card for our DS. We will IYH be able to put together the money in the very near future but not in time for the start of the school year.

We got all the other mail from school-supplies list, student handbook, busing info etc.

They did not say we cannot come to school, just that they won't give us a card. Is this something that will embarrass DS on hisfirst day? what does an admission card even mean? I'm nervous for him to have a bad start.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 7:40 pm
In my kids schools they are not allowed into class in the first day without it. Sometimes the parent brings the kid to school and discusses it with the administrators and they let the child into class. But some schools are very strict and won’t allow the kid into class until the issue is resolved.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 7:40 pm
Very much depends on the school. When I taught I collected the cards and marked them down but I just gave it to the office. I never made the students that didn’t have one feel uncomfortable.

cbsp

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 7:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This will be the first year I'm sending DS to a real school. The school requires an admission fee, building fee and monthly tuition. We have paid the admission fee, and first month tuition but for specific financial reasons we do not have the required building fund fee to pay right now. We explained to the school but they won't hear of it and will not give us an admission card for our DS. We will IYH be able to put together the money in the very near future but not in time for the start of the school year.

We got all the other mail from school-supplies list, student handbook, busing info etc.

They did not say we cannot come to school, just that they won't give us a card. Is this something that will embarrass DS on hisfirst day? what does an admission card even mean? I'm nervous for him to have a bad start.

Yes. Please do not send your child without an admission card.

I for the life of me do not understand why such cruelty continues to exist... Can someone from the admin side of things please explain?

Flip Flops

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 7:45 pm
Is there any way you can find out from others who send to your school?
In some schools it is a very big deal, and in others it just sits in the kid's briefcases until Pesach cleaning.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 8:03 pm
Flip Flops wrote:
Is there any way you can find out from others who send to your school?
In some schools it is a very big deal, and in others it just sits in the kid's briefcases until Pesach cleaning.

Doesn't the admission card tell the student what classroom to go to?

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 8:12 pm
How about a post dated check ?

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 8:22 pm
I don't think any of us can confirm your schools specific policy. Please call them and get your answer. In general, a building fund fee is less strict than tuition. Hopefully this works out for you and things go smoothly.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 8:28 pm
Where sending to the cheder in lakewood. anyone know their policy?

the school won't answer us when we ask if we need the admission card, all they say is that we MUST pay. I went to a diff school in lakewood and I don't remember there ever being an issue if someone didn't have one. but I'm sure things changed...

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 10:18 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
Doesn't the admission card tell the student what classroom to go to?

Not in the schools I'm familiar with.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 10:40 pm
Work out a payment plan for yid building fund with the school.

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 01 2019, 11:02 pm
Ask a parent who sent to the school the last few years to check with their kids whether it's a thing. My kids' school sends admission cards but as far as I know they were never asked to present them. They come home saying "Mommy what was this thing doing in my backpack?" I pray that yours is the same, though I hear in other schools it's serious business and my brain can't handle that level of upsetting.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:05 am
Op, I also send ds to the cheder in Lakewood. Your son is already on the class list and part of a class. I’m not sure if they would call him to the office and send him home but I really doubt it.
We owed a significant amount of tuition and my husband went to the office and paid half of if. We simply couldn’t pay the whole thing. We gave post dated checks for the rest... very post dated. My husband told them while he was there that he needs the admission cards. They said they are putting it in the mail that day. 2 days later we got it.
I would suggest writing 1-2 post dated checks for the amount they want from you. Bring it to the office today and tell them that you want the admission and bus card.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:53 am
cbsp wrote:
Yes. Please do not send your child without an admission card.

I for the life of me do not understand why such cruelty continues to exist... Can someone from the admin side of things please explain?

Um....yeah....the school needs $ to pay for salaries, building...etc...just like parents dont just "not pay mortgage" or "not pay for food...camp...clothes..etc" "not pay a wedding/bar mitzva caterer/hall"... so too the school needs a way to insist on $ ....

Im not accusing op(bec some ppl are unfortunately in hard times and some ppl do try to prioritize......but almost everything today requires $ paid BEFORE services. SO, why do ppl think they must pay for camp, new clothes, cleaning help, babysitters, rent/mortgage etc before or on time but for schools, many ppl are ok not paying on time or at all???

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 5:41 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Um....yeah....the school needs $ to pay for salaries, building...etc...just like parents dont just "not pay mortgage" or "not pay for food...camp...clothes..etc" "not pay a wedding/bar mitzva caterer/hall"... so too the school needs a way to insist on $ ....

Im not accusing op(bec some ppl are unfortunately in hard times and some ppl do try to prioritize......but almost everything today requires $ paid BEFORE services. SO, why do ppl think they must pay for camp, new clothes, cleaning help, babysitters, rent/mortgage etc before or on time but for schools, many ppl are ok not paying on time or at all???

Unfortunately, the reason that school is the hardest expense to fully pay is because I have no other expense anywhere approaching this magnitude.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 5:56 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Unfortunately, the reason that school is the hardest expense to fully pay is because I have no other expense anywhere approaching this magnitude.

But, like I said. Ppl are not prioritizing. Yes, school is more $ for me too. But, I DONT spend on other things (and every "small" thing adds up) in order to be able to pay the school. I just dont understand how ppl have $ for camp....but then not for the schools...it doesnr make sense ...except to say ppl are not prioritizing.

Again, some ppl really are in dire situations, so im not judging specific ppl....but I see ppl spending on...and not prioritizing school.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 6:04 am
I don't think my kids admission cards were ever collected at all.... many schools send it out just because and no one collects it.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 6:05 am
But, like I said. Ppl are not prioritizing. Yes, school is more $ for me too. But, I DONT spend on other things (and every "small" thing adds up) in order to be able to pay the school. I just dont understand how ppl have $ for camp....but then not for the schools...it doesnr make sense ...except to say ppl are not prioritizing.

Again, some ppl really are in dire situations, so im not judging specific ppl....but I see ppl spending on...and not prioritizing school.

My husband and I both work, so we MUST send our kids to camp. The only other option would be for one of us to quit our jobs to take care of our kids for 10 weeks. In which case the school would never see any money from us. What you're saying doesn't make any sense.

There are some people who spend money on everything but tuition, but most people are not like that. I understand that schools need money to educate our children, but don't make it sound like most parents are wasting money and not paying tuition, it's a very small minority.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 6:09 am

There can be plenty of other reasons. I couldn't afford camp for my daughter, but my in-laws stepped in and agreed to pay for it, knowing how much it meant to my daughter. They're able to step in here and there to help out, but they're not able to take upon themselves to assist with a steady monthly (and huge) expense.

Also, another thing to consider. Camp for my daughter was half of my monthly tuition bill.

So now do you understand how it can appear that people have money for camp, and not for school?

cbsp

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 6:23 am

That wasn't my question at all. I was asking about the humiliating practice of requiring the kids to bring their admission cards and then singling out those that don't have it.

In the "olden" days of paper stuff maybe that made sense. Can't there be a better system of enforcing payment that doesn't involve humiliating the kids?
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics