Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Mezonos bread
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:03 am
Many Jewish stores sell mezonos sandwiches (with mezonos bread). I’ve heard that if you’re sitting down to a meal, you should wash and bench, regardless if the bread is labeled mazenos. It would make it so much easier for me to have a slice of whole wheat bread in the morning , while in a rush to get to work, if I didn’t need to bench. I feel like many people might instead take a piece of cake or crackers, so they don’t have to worry about it. If it is in fact required to wash, then why are these sandwiches sold? What do you do?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:16 am
CYLOR.
I avoid mezonos bread myself but assume there is some mekor for it as used. I don't though.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 9:10 am
I don't wash for mezonos bread.
There are people who wash for pizza and kokosh cake.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 12:17 pm
Please AYLOR. The stance of the (U) is that there is no such thing as mezonos bread. If it looks like bread, tastes like bread and acts like bread (iow you’re making a meal of it and it’s not just a snack) then it’s bread and you wash and bench, even if it’s made with 100% pure fruit juice. There are always dissenting opinions.

It’s sold because there’s no civil law against it, and if people don’t bother learning the Halacha, as far as the seller is concerned it’s the buyer’s problem.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 12:42 pm
Quote:
Please AYLOR. The stance of the (U) is that there is no such thing as mezonos bread. If it looks like bread, tastes like bread and acts like bread (iow you’re making a meal of it and it’s not just a snack) then it’s bread and you wash and bench, even if it’s made with 100% pure fruit juice. There are always dissenting opinions.

This is what my rav also holds.
I found some yummy flax roll ups at costco that are shehakol that I eat when I don't want to wash.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 12:52 pm
Ask your own Rav about your specific circumstances. There are different opinions.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 12:56 pm
Another factor to consider is that even if you hold of mezonos bread (that "tzuras hapas" isn't enough to make it hamotzi), there is often not actually enough juice in the bread to make it mezonos. It simply wouldn't taste good enough that way.

I once heard a radio show from a member of the Chof-K about this.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 1:14 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Quote:

This is what my rav also holds.
I found some yummy flax roll ups at costco that are shehakol that I eat when I don't want to wash.

Do you know the brand? Are they sold in other stores as well?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 1:57 pm
These are them. I've only ever seen them at costco but I don't live in the tri-state area, so it could be they're sold elsewhere
https://images.app.goo.gl/7Xp3vz5V4v3eWvLM9

singleagain

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 2:05 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
These are them. I've only ever seen them at costco but I don't live in the tri-state area, so it could be they're sold elsewhere

Damascus ... We have that in seasons Clifton

Iymnok

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 2:07 pm
Sprouted grain bread is often shehakol. Try that.

egam

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 3:42 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

Are you sure they are shegakol?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:47 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

The flax roll ups contain flax flour, wheat flour, wheat gluten, corn starch, oat fiber, soy protein, soy flour, sesame flour, yeast, whole wheat flour...

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 4:58 pm
My rav said shehakol when I asked, obviously ask your own rav

Metukah

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 5:17 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Another factor to consider is that even if you hold of mezonos bread (that "tzuras hapas" isn't enough to make it hamotzi), there is often not actually enough juice in the bread to make it mezonos. It simply wouldn't taste good enough that way.

I once heard a radio show from a member of the Chof-K about this.

Not necessarily true.

I make mezonos bread. The required ratio of juice to water is 55:45. I use 55% apple juice (not from concentrate) and thus the bread is mezonos.

As per our halachic authority, it is indeed mezonos if eaten in small quantities and not as a meal.

Metukah

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 5:18 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I don't wash for mezonos bread.
There are people who wash for pizza and kokosh cake.

Not all pizza is mezonos, even for those who don't wash for mezonos.

If the pizza dough is not made with fruit juice, it is hamotzi.

Modt pizza stores in Israel do not make the dough mezonos; everyone is required to wash for this pizza.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 5:25 pm
Pizza is not hamotzei even though the dough doesn't have juice. Because it's baked with sauce and cheese, the pizza becomes a mezonos.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 5:45 pm
Pizza is not hamotzei even though the dough doesn't have juice. Because it's baked with sauce and cheese, the pizza becomes a mezonos.

Not if you make a meal of it, which is generally considered to be two slices. One slice is considered a snack.

Metukah

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 6:44 pm

Not according to the rulings I follow.

Do you also consider a sandwich mezonos because there's something on the bread?

Extras on a dough usually only make them mezonos if they make them into a snack/cake, eg kokosh, buns, scones, etc

abaker

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 7:11 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Sprouted grain bread is often shehakol. Try that.

Which brands are shehakol? I eat ezekial bread and it is hamotzi. I am curious to know how these flax wraps the link is posted above, are shehakol too..they contain wheat. Hmm.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions