Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
S/O make more $ than DH
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:23 pm
If you make more money that DH (or just a great salary in general), what do you do?
Looking for career ideas for DD18 who is very smart, well rounded, and ambitious, and looking for a very lucrative career path.

I can tell you that as a NH social worker, mine is not the path to follow.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:27 pm
how are her coding skills?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:29 pm
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
how are his coding skills?

Did you see where it said DD18?

But yes, how about software engineering? It's a great field, as is data analytics.

NPs do pretty well in the healthcare field, as do PAs.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:30 pm
Accounting

Cookiegirl

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:32 pm
Accounting background- now management

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:32 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Did you see where it said DD18?

But yes, how about software engineering? It's a great field, as is data analytics.

NPs do pretty well in the healthcare field, as do PAs.

Its 2019. Kids in highschool code. Kids in middle school code. Kids in elementary school code.

not to say - you can't catch up - but this is what is going on now.

(sorry I thought you were pointed out "18" not my gender mess up).

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:35 pm
Its 2019. Kids in highschool code. Kids in middle school code. Kids in elementary school code.

I'm still not following what you're saying.

Are you saying that it's hard to get into the field if there's no background in coding? That's just outright false.

My DH is in a coding bootcamp right now. He's one of the only ones with prior coding experience. Everyone is learning. Most of the people there are quite a bit older than he is.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:37 pm
Registered Nurse

pesek zman

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you make more money that DH (or just a great salary in general), what do you do?
Looking for career ideas for DD18 who is very smart, well rounded, and ambitious, and looking for a very lucrative career path.

Really? I’m a hospital SW and get paid very fairly. Plus the benefits are amazing.

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What's NH?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:39 pm

I think Lawngreen was noting that you referred to OP's son, when OP referenced a daughter (?)

pesek zman

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:40 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
What's NH?

Pretty sure she means nursing home

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:42 pm

Are you saying that it's hard to get into the field if there's no background in coding? That's just outright false.

My DH is in a coding bootcamp right now. He's one of the only ones with prior coding experience. Everyone is learning. Most of the people there are quite a bit older than he is.

That could be a selection bias with a coding boot camp.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:46 pm
Law can be lucrative, although we've had threads debating this. As a direct response to the OP's question, I bill at $350 per hour, which is more than my dh's hourly rate (and I'm probably under-billing as many attorneys in NYC -area with similar years experience are billing at $400)

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:54 pm

I'm saying a bright ambitious 18 year old would be coding by now if coding is what she is interested in.

The majority of the new hires at the major software companies are in their 20s and have been coding for a long time.

Yet - this is a booming market and there is place for everybody.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 8:56 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I think Lawngreen was noting that you referred to OP's son, when OP referenced a daughter (?)

Ah!!! Opps. Will fix.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 9:01 pm
OP here
Thank you to all of you who responded so quickly, I really appreciate it!!!

DD doesn't code yet, not interested but could learn if she felt it was financially lucrative. She is behind on the coding as her friends in the engineering elective in school do know how to code.

I feel like I don't know so much about accounting. What are realistic salaries, what does one do on a day to day, and how much advanced calculus... does one need?she used to love math, and took AP calculus - got a 4, but hated it.

RN/NP... not for her, she gets grossed out too easily and would never survive practicals.

Pesek Zman, I am glad that they pay you well. We deserve great salaries with all that we do, our Master degrees, continuing education.... Maybe I have been at my job too long and yearly 3% increase of nothing, is still nothing. I should consider leaving (but am so comfortable with my flexibility-Poor salary is the price I pay) and thank you for explaining NH is Nursing Home.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 9:10 pm
I'm a social worker. I specialized in a family therapy model that I adore. I make around 130k a year working part time. It's not millionaire money, but it's a great second income. I make my own schedule and can take off when I need to for my kids with minimum hassle. My office is only 5 minutes from my house. I know there are social workers who aren't making ends meet, but I also know lawyers, accountants, whatever who are also struggling. I think it would be smarter for your daughter to figure out what she likes to do and take it from there. Saying that she wants to make big bucks is looking at things backwards, in my opinion.

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 9:47 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I'm a social worker. I specialized in a family therapy model that I adore. I make around 130k a year working part time. It's not millionaire money, but it's a great second income. I make my own schedule and can take off when I need to for my kids with minimum hassle. My office is only 5 minutes from my house. I know there are social workers who aren't making ends meet, but I also know lawyers, accountants, whatever who are also struggling. I think it would be smarter for your daughter to figure out what she likes to do and take it from there. Saying that she wants to make big bucks is looking at things backwards, in my opinion.

From your post I assume you're in private practice for yourself? Are you a therapist? I'm asking because I have family members who are sw and are struggling.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 9:51 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
From your post I assume you're in private practice for yourself? Are you a therapist? I'm asking because I have family members who are sw and are struggling.

I'm a therapist. I work most of my hours at a mental health clinic and have a very small private practice. I also supervise other clinicians.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics