Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
S/O make more $ than DH
Previous  1  2

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Sep 02 2019, 10:18 pm
I responded I make more than DH. I sell cut and style wigs...

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 1:45 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I'm a therapist. I work most of my hours at a mental health clinic and have a very small private practice. I also supervise other clinicians.

I don't doubt you, but I don't think $130k, part time, is typical for mental health social workers. Would you agree with that?

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 1:50 am
OP I agree with what someone said earlier. Help DD discover her ambitions, and then find the space within that category that is lucrative. There is much potential in many areas. I think one of the best ways to be successful financially (after tremendous siyata dishmaya) is to love what you do, so that you have greater motivation to be good at it, which generally allows you to go to the next level.

Once DD decides on the broader field, you may decide to inquire here about which areas within that field are lucrative.

BTW, No one mentioned mortgages or real estate broker. Both have lots of potential, but depend ALOT on sales skills.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:25 am
My job doesn't pay SO well but I have flexible hours (can work anytime between 6 am and 6 pm, in the summer between 6 am and 10 pm), I can leave in between for pick ups or doctor appointments. I get a small raise every year and we get a bonus depending on our work performance. When we are sick we get full salary for 1 1/2 years.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:56 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
OP I agree with what someone said earlier. Help DD discover her ambitions, and then find the space within that category that is lucrative. There is much potential in many areas. I think one of the best ways to be successful financially (after tremendous siyata dishmaya) is to love what you do, so that you have greater motivation to be good at it, which generally allows you to go to the next level.

Once DD decides on the broader field, you may decide to inquire here about which areas within that field are lucrative.

BTW, No one mentioned mortgages or real estate broker. Both have lots of potential, but depend ALOT on sales skills.

This is great advice. Also where do you live now and where is your DD planning on living as an adult? Is she interested in aliyah? Moving to or from NYC? The lucrative jobs are different in different parts of the world and the US (assuming you live in the US).

cuterpatooter

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 1:06 pm
Rabbi Shafier has a great practical shiur on choosing a career. He has many on work in general that I highly recommend for a solid hands-on hashkafa.
https://theshmuz.com/shmuz/choosing-a-career/

just my two cents; more than what she loves to do, what is she good at doing? Usually, people like what they're good at, so win-win, but being particularly good at your field is more important and will get you more success than enjoying it.

perquacky

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 1:49 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I'm a therapist. I work most of my hours at a mental health clinic and have a very small private practice. I also supervise other clinicians.

I think that's amazing. But most social workers don't pull in such a large salary. It can be done, but it's not common.

Prosthetists, I believe make good money. Sadly, they're needed now more than ever.

And robotics sounds like a fascinating area of study.

Last edited by perquacky on Tue, Sep 03 2019, 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 1:53 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
This is great advice. Also where do you live now and where is your DD planning on living as an adult? Is she interested in aliyah? Moving to or from NYC? The lucrative jobs are different in different parts of the world and the US (assuming you live in the US).

Very good point.
She hopes to make Aliya

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 4:52 pm
I work in the pharmaceutical sector, and I love it. If she likes science but not medical practice, then this is a good fit. Schooling is long, pay can be high. Jobs can be demanding. She would have to really like it to work in the field and do well. Translates to Israel too.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 5:50 pm
Actuary translates well in Israel but requires advanced math classes.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics