Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Modeh Ani/Asher Yatzar?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 8:43 am
Please don't tell me to AYLOR, I am embarrassed and just wondering if anyone knows.

With age, I know sometimes wake up and need to RUN to the bathroom.
I do not/cannot say Modeh Ani first.
After I go to the bathroom, which do I say first?
I feel MA goes first in the morning, but I just peed and should say AY immediately.
I know, if these I my great big shailahs, I'm doing ok.

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 12:03 pm
From https://judaism.stackexchange......48277

Rabbi Binyamin Shmueli and Rabbi Eliezer Altshuler concur that one does not say Modeh Ani when waking up and returning to sleep, one only says it the final time they wake up in the morning.

From TorahMusings.com:

there are those who rule that one who goes to the bathroom several times during the night need not recite asher yatzar each time and need merely recite it once in the morning. (Rivevot Ephraim 6:123:2.)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 12:14 pm
Thank you so much for researching it for me. You are awesome!!!!

Actually my alarm clock goes off for the day and then I need to make a beeline for the bathroom. Amazing I can sleep a donut on Shabbos and The bathroom doesn't wake me, but once I'm up there is no waiting.
I unfortunately do not go back to bed as much as I wish I could, I need to get a move on my day.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 12:39 pm
Are we supposed to say asher yatzar if we wake up in middle of the night to use the bathroom? Or wait til we say asher yatza after mornong modeh ani?

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 1:54 pm
On the same topic, is it okay to go to the bathroom when you wake up before doing negel vasser - because you have to go badly.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 2:34 pm
If it’s morning already then I say modeh ani, al nitilas yadayim, Asher yotzar and Elokai neshama in that order. That’s after I got out of bed and went to the bathroom. Even if I’m going back into bed to rest I’ll say those few things. Takes a minute (or 2?)

Iymnok

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:42 pm
Model ani. According to Dh we don’t say netilas yadayim until birkas hashachar. I say it while I am doing simple stuff in the morning. (According to my research that is muttar.)
So run tothe bathroom, wash negel vasser then say moda ani.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 5:09 pm
zaq wrote:
From https://judaism.stackexchange......48277

Rabbi Binyamin Shmueli and Rabbi Eliezer Altshuler concur that one does not say Modeh Ani when waking up and returning to sleep, one only says it the final time they wake up in the morning.

From TorahMusings.com:

there are those who rule that one who goes to the bathroom several times during the night need not recite asher yatzar each time and need merely recite it once in the morning. (Rivevot Ephraim 6:123:2.)

I was told same about only saying Modeh Ani when waking up for the day, but that you should say Asher Yatzar every time even in middle of the night.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 5:43 pm
Well I am glad to hear some of the above bec when I wake up in the middle of the night I doubt Asher Yatzar would come out correct... DH said he does say in the middle of the night but I knew I had once heard s/t otherwise...

my problem is I wake up a few times toward morning, and often I go back to sleep because I haven't slept enough, but some of those times I end up getting up anyhow... if that makes any sense, so when do I say Modeh ani?

DH says just say it, so what if you say it 3 times...is that it? My neshama is popping in and out?

Anyhow unfortunately I've gotten out of the habit of saying it and now not sure what to do...

Also sometimes when going to sleep (for the first time...) I am not sure I don't have to go to the bathroom again so I am waiting to see and therefore not saying Asher Yatzer nor Shema and sometimes I fall asleep but sometimes I don't...

So I am feeling very ... un-Jewish? disconnected? ... dunno
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions