Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
I have to Tovel Ninja plastic blender jar, or just blade?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 12:59 pm
I think no one toivels plastic.

WastingTime

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 1:02 pm
There actually is such a custom, I think chassidish.
OP do you usually toivel plastic?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 1:06 pm
WastingTime wrote:
There actually is such a custom, I think chassidish.
OP do you usually toivel plastic?

No, but Im thinking maybe theres choshuv (expensive?) plastic and less choshuv plastic?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 1:06 pm
What do most Litvish Poskim say about Toveling plastic?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 1:30 pm
some say you should and some not. My father always toivelled plastic and when I got married, I found out my DH doesn't-it made toivelling all the wedding presents etc much easier Very Happy
Apparently if you toivel plastic it's easier for some kashrus sheilos, but I'm not sure.
Check with your LOR.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 1:32 pm
Just metal blade.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 1:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do most Litvish Poskim say about Toveling plastic?

I actually just bought a ninja blender yesterday. I'm bringing the lid that has the blades to be toiveled today. I'm going to hold onto the plastic part of the lid and dunk the metal blades.
Here's a star-k link:
https://www.star-k.org/article.....ines/

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 4:13 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I actually just bought a ninja blender yesterday. I'm bringing the lid that has the blades to be toiveled today. I'm going to hold onto the plastic part of the lid and dunk the metal blades.
Here's a star-k link:
https://www.star-k.org/article.....ines/

The blade is attached to the lid? Not on my model.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 4:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The blade is attached to the lid? Not on my model.

Yes..I have the ninja auto IQ personal blender. Which model do you have?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 5:35 pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

BL610

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 7:55 pm
If the blade is attached to the plastic, the entire piece needs to be toiveled, you can't hold on to it -- drop it for a millisecond. If the blade is removable, only the blade needs to be toiveled, unless you hold plastic needs tevila (some people do hold this; it's not a "Litvish" psak).

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 9:00 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
If the blade is attached to the plastic, the entire piece needs to be toiveled, you can't hold on to it -- drop it for a millisecond. If the blade is removable, only the blade needs to be toiveled, unless you hold plastic needs tevila (some people do hold this; it's not a "Litvish" psak).

I just called my Rav. You're right. Thank you for telling me. You did a mitzvah because you stopped me from toiveling it the wrong way.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 9:03 pm
I appreciate the feedback Smile Good for you for asking the shaila and may you be zoche to doing many more mitzvos k'das u'k'din.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 9:52 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I appreciate the feedback Smile Good for you for asking the shaila and may you be zoche to doing many more mitzvos k'das u'k'din.

AMEN! Very Happy

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 12:51 am
I have literally never heard of anyone "holding" that plastic needs tevila. Now that OP's question has been resolved, can anyone explain this? From what I learned and everything I have read (and I looked into this a few times when I had questions) these are the bullet points:
Metal and glass need tevila.
Ceramics/glazed ware is a shaila if it needs tevila so ideally you dip it at the same time when you're doing something metal, and/or AYLOR.
If something is made of mixed materials, e.g. a knife with a metal blade and plastic handle, then the entire utensil needs to be immersed.
If something has potential for irreversible damage, e.g. an appliance with both metal and electrical components such as a Keurig, there are differing opinions and that's the AYLOR.

Not one source I have consulted, whether online, in person, or in print, has ever made a peep about plastic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions