Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What do you do when your toddler doesn't eat dinner?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:40 pm
Made salmon and roasted veggies tonight. Both kids wouldn't eat it.

Should I give them something else that they like?

What do you do to prevent this if your toddlers like only junky food?

And at what age do you stop making them second dinners if they don't like the one served?

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:43 pm
I make them fish sticks or tuna patties when serving salmon, but I do offer them salmon to see if they might change their minds.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:44 pm
I’ve never made a second dinner. If my kid truly eats nothing (I require her to at least taste it) there’s always yogurt or cheese. I only ever had to do this a handful of times) I’m proud to say that because I exposed her to different flavors and textures her favorite meals right now are beef or chicken tacos (hard and soft) and curry chicken chili with naan

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:46 pm
pesek zman wrote:
I’ve never made a second dinner. If my kid truly eats nothing (I require her to at least taste it) there’s always yogurt or cheese. I only ever had to do this a handful of times) I’m proud to say that because I exposed her to different flavors and textures her favorite meals right now are beef or chicken tacos (hard and soft) and curry chicken chili with naan

At age 2?

And you'd let them eat the yogurt or cheese even though those are among the only things they'll eat?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
At age 2?

And you'd let them eat the yogurt or cheese even though those are among the only things they'll eat?

Yes. I remind her this is dinner. This is the only dinner. If she doesn’t want to eat she doesn’t have to but the next meal is breakfast. I also always serve 3 things: main (protein) a veg and a starch. She can eat any of those 3. Even if it’s only rice. I don’t force feed

nchr

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:50 pm
Then they don'thave to eat. I don't like when children are picky eaters or fussy and it rarely happens. I also dont like pressuring people to eat.

Last edited by nchr on Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:51 pm
nchr wrote:
Then they go to sleep hungry. I don't like when children are picky eaters or fussy and it rarely happens.

But what if it happens night after night?

My toddler became really really picky.

nchr

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But what if it happens night after night?

My toddler became really really picky.

It probably won't happen night after night if they know there is no other option. Or I'd give them a larger lunch so it's fine to miss another meal. Or try to make eating fun or cook colorful foods.

cinnabon

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:53 pm
I usually make nutritious and kid friendly suppers, but if they don’t like it then I just do peanut butter sandwiches and string cheese.
My kids are young (4 and 2).
Not the greatest eaters but I hope that will change as they grow up

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:55 pm
If you know your kids don't like salmon just bake chicken breasts (covered if needed halachikly) at the same time. You can freeze individual pieces of raw salmon and raw chicken so it's easy to only defrost what you need at any one time.
Bring a platter of chicken and platter of salmon to the table. Let everybody help themselves / point to what they want. If it sits on the table and nobody forces or coerces or discusses, eventually they will ask for it even if it takes a year or two.

littleprincess

I always have bread , pita... with scrambled eggs tuna or even chocolate spread . Yoghurts is also a good back up

My 3 and 5 year olds are very very very picky eaters !!
Like I'm already breaking my head what I should serve tomorrow for supper so they will also eat.

They never stay hungry b"h cos I always have backups !!

amother
OP

cinnabon wrote:
I usually make nutritious and kid friendly suppers, but if they don’t like it then I just do peanut butter sandwiches and string cheese.
My kids are young (4 and 2).
Not the greatest eaters but I hope that will change as they grow up

What's nutritious, kid-friendly, and quick?

I work full-time. Tried to get lots of ideas for quick and easy dinners.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:56 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you know your kids don't like salmon just bake chicken breasts (covered if needed halachikly) at the same time. You can freeze individual pieces of raw salmon and raw chicken so it's easy to only defrost what you need at any one time.
Bring a platter of chicken and platter of salmon to the table. Let everybody help themselves / point to what they want. If it sits on the table and nobody forces or coerces or discusses, eventually they will ask for it even if it takes a year or two.

Great idea in theory but it's enough of a hardship for me to get the chicken OR salmon on the table!!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Great idea in theory but it's enough of a hardship for me to get the chicken OR salmon on the table!!

I put the same seasoning on both.

nchr

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 3:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What's nutritious, kid-friendly, and quick?

I work full-time. Tried to get lots of ideas for quick and easy dinners.

It may be late for this for these kids, but you need to introduce your kid in the future to adult foods from 6+ months. Introduce them a few times and it helps them develop a more mature palate v. kid friendly stuff.

Maybe start now by putting "adult" food on the plate next to some kiddie stuff..

flowerpower

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 4:02 pm
I offer dinner. If they don’t like it then they can eat whole wheat bread with peanut butter or cereal and milk. My son ate cherrios and milk every night until he turned 5. Now he started trying new foods.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 4:02 pm
Most toddlers don’t like salmon. I make something kid-friendly or if it’s not I give cereal, oatmeal or eggs.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 4:16 pm
Most toddlers and little kids don't like salmon. You need to make kid friendly meals if you want them to eat. When I make salmon I give fish sticks for the kids. If they don't want salmon, give them something they do like. As long as they have something to eat.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 4:36 pm
nchr wrote:
It may be late for this for these kids, but you need to introduce your kid in the future to adult foods from 6+ months. Introduce them a few times and it helps them develop a more mature palate v. kid friendly stuff.

Maybe start now by putting "adult" food on the plate next to some kiddie stuff..

I did give them regular adult food all along. They used to eat it. My younger one still likes most foods (just not salmon), but my older one barely eats anything anymore. He used to love all foods!

He'd be perfectly content eating yogurt, peanut butter sandwiches, and the occasional scrambled eggs or omelet.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Sep 03 2019, 4:46 pm
Is it a texture thing or a taste thing? Some kids are sensory to certain foods and textures...might taste it, but then spit it out.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics