Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Does my baby need a bottle?
Previous  1  2

ectomorph

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 10:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone. Just for a side note, I’ve been learning and researching a lot from registered dieticians that breastmilk alone isn’t enough that a certain point (before a year from about 6 months) because of iron. Breastmilk iron levels drop significantly and it’s imp that babies get iron with food. I believe if formula fed then it’s not as much of an issue. I’m not sure though I’ve only breastfed but I did make sure to start incorporating foods with iron. Some drs also recommend iron supplements as an alternative but I think that recommendation isn’t agreed across the board.

This is correct and I strongly suggest getting your child checked for anemia if you are exclusively nursing at 1 year.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 10:12 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Wrong. Before 1 a baby needs no food at all. They do need at least five feedings of formula or breast milk. My kids eat NO food before 1.

If the baby asks for food past 6 months, you can give food. There is no exact age.

rachel6543

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 11:48 pm
Your baby doesn’t need a bottle, you can use a sippy cup.

But yes, I would send milk for baby. At 9 months my baby took 2-3 oz of breastmilk every 2-3 hrs, along with whatever food I sent. A general rule of thumb for breastfed babies is to provide 1-1.5 oz of breastmilk for every hour you will be away.

Also, to maintain your milk supply & prevent clogged ducts, pumping once at work during that time period, at least for a few weeks, is probably a good idea. What really helped me as a working mom was learning how to pump during my morning and afternoon commutes. That was a game changer for me and I could pump less at work.

If you don’t want to pump, then I would recommend supplementing with some formula while you are gone.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 12:19 am
I’d add a formula bottle I thonk

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 6:00 am
It’s suggested that an older baby should use a straw. Something to do with the muscles used. Get a cup for milk/formula if you want to use that and one for water. Be diligent about cleaning the non-water one as bacteria develops faster.
If the baby will be eating enough by the babysitter, just food and water should be fine. Most of my EBF babies weaned themselves by a year. If there are any nutritional issues, bein touch with your pediatrician.

esther11

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 8:37 am
I’m in a similar situation with my 10 month old. I spoke to my pediatrician and here’s what we came out with:
BF 2x a day, morning and before bed
1 formula bottle at babysitter (to me nursing at 3pm could be the equivalent)
3 food meals a day with lots of water

Basically they need 16-24 oz of formula/milk a day. With ur night feeding and 3x a day I’m sure you reach that amount!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 10:42 am
Here's my opinion, YMMV as pediatricians and nutritionists seem to move the goal post every year. Our great grandparents are rolling in their graves.

Pump for your own comfort, if you are feeling too full. If you are only getting a little bit of milk with the pump, save it and add it to fortified rice milk (or formula.) Add 1/4 teaspoon of molasses for iron and B vitamins. Babies love it.

If coordination is good, skip the bottle completely and give a sippy cup. Let him practice with water first, so the spills will be easy to clean up. Let him practice with straws, too. For the first time, don't introduce the cups when he's really thirsty or he might choke, not knowing how fast to suck.

I wouldn't use reusable bottles with a built in straw, unless you have a way of really sterilizing them. Just hand washing will never prevent mold and spoiled milk. One sniff will tell you if it's safe to give to baby.

DD was lactose intolerant, so I never had to worry about how soon to introduce cow's milk. Some people swear that goat or sheep milk is much easier for baby to digest, but it's expensive and hard to find. I'd stick with a good quality formula, instead of all that fussing around at Whole Foods.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics