Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Elul kabbalos

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 5:47 pm
Some years I give up secular literature for Elul & Tishrei. This year I was in the middle of a book erev Shabbos & did not have the will power to leave it.

Although I have plenty, plenty, of Jewish literature, fiction as well as torahdik books, as well as non-fiction (health, psychology etc) I really enjoy good vintage clean literature to relax. Nothing else hits that spot.

I'm thinking of trying every other day... or at least the last week in Elul. & feeling very weak & not proud of myself.

(Well another thing I have done a lot in the past is give up imamother for Elul and/or Tishrei...)

I've tried to add nightly tehillim (which I'm supposed to be doing together w relative to complete sefer wkly & have really neglected).

I need something small & easy to do. Did I mention I'm feeling weak? (Part of it is chronic fatigue or possibly it's just insomnia and never quite getting enough sleep...)

Any suggestions? Please share your ideas! And keep this thread gentle & kind and helpful - not critical of other suggestions or ideas, please, just positive ideas for growth.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 6:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Some years I give up secular literature for Elul & Tishrei. This year I was in the middle of a book erev Shabbos & did not have the will power to leave it.

Although I have plenty, plenty, of Jewish literature, fiction as well as torahdik books, as well as non-fiction (health, psychology etc) I really enjoy good vintage clean literature to relax. Nothing else hits that spot.

I'm thinking of trying every other day... or at least the last week in Elul. & feeling very weak & not proud of myself.

(Well another thing I have done a lot in the past is give up imamother for Elul and/or Tishrei...)

I've tried to add nightly tehillim (which I'm supposed to be doing together w relative to complete sefer wkly & have really neglected).

I need something small & easy to do. Did I mention I'm feeling weak? (Part of it is chronic fatigue or possibly it's just insomnia and never quite getting enough sleep...)

Any suggestions? Please share your ideas! And keep this thread gentle & kind and helpful - not critical of other suggestions or ideas, please, just positive ideas for growth.

How about kissing every mezuzah you pass?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 6:46 pm
Quote:
Not my chinuch & highly doubt I would remember... but would be interested to hear sources etc because it's not anything I understand...

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 7:16 pm
Do something sustainable. I stay off the internet during aseres yemei teshuva besides expected important emails. I still read secular books, listen to talk radio, etc.
Do what you realistically can.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 7:31 pm
How about trying to do something kind for someone every day. Make a phone call to an older relative. Give someone a ride. Etc.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 8:27 pm
I have pretty hectic mornings and don’t always have time to Daven before leaving to work. I’m trying to work on myself to Daven every day. It is something I feel I should be doing and it makes me feel good too and a very good start to my day. I’m also trying to say asher yatzar with concentration.
Good luck!

browniebar

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 9:23 pm
One I've done in the past when I really couldn't do very much- say the kapitel ledovid hashem ori in the morning. It's appropriate for Elul and brings some focus to the day

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 9:26 pm
Quote:
One I've done in the past when I really couldn't do very much- say the kapitel ledovid hashem ori in the morning. It's appropriate for Elul and brings some focus to the day
Great idea, I've been doing that in addition to my nebachdik birchos hashachar bec that's all I can manage...

amother
Red

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 9:54 pm
Ever since we got married over twenty years ago my husband and I read one viduy with its explanation from the back of an Artscroll Machzor before supper in Elul. (e.g. tonight was gazalnu last night was bagadnu).

From all our youthful idealisms this is the only one that lasted no matter was what else was going on in our lives throughout the years.

ellacoe

Post Wed, Sep 04 2019, 11:36 pm
Sometimes its more beneficial to add things instead of taking things away. Don't be hard on yourself. Find something that is sustainable and meaningful to you and add it to your day.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 9:45 am
Cheiny wrote:

Or for those of us who are too busy to daven a full davening (note: now I can and do, b"H but btdt), kiss a mezuza and spend a moment to remember yetzias Mitzrayim and think about what it means in my life. You get the mitzah d'Oraisa of remembering yetzias Mitzrayim.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 10:44 am
I"m working on reducing my lashon hara.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days