Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Fish recipes/ideas

SS6099

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 9:11 am
The only fish I really like is salmon but it’s pricey! Anyone know either where I could get salmon cheap, or any other fishes/recipes that could be made delicious?
Thanks!

Jetski

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 9:44 am
Bingo
Shop rite
Both have salmon cheap. Make sure shoprite has hechsher. Their McDonald ave location in Brooklyn does

egam

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 10:03 am
According to many opinions salmon does not need a heksher. Especially with the skin on, which is the case with Shoprite salmon. If you are concerned about the knives, you can get the whole side. And many times there’s an OU on the Shoprite salmon box anyway.

egam

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 10:31 am
Are you near a Costco? Depending on location, they have different types of fish. Fresh Atlantic salmon is unfortunately skinless there, but they usually have steelhead trout fillets with skin on. It’s very similar to salmon.
Depending on the season, they might have wild caught sockeye salmon or copper river salmon. It’s leaner than the farmed one. I prefer it pan fried. It comes out dry when baked.
The other option is whole branzini. Just stuff it with few lemon slices, few sprigs of dill, or thyme, or tarragon. Salt and pepper it and bake on 400 till flesh is easily separated with a fork.
Some stores also have whole red snapper and ocean perch fillets with skin on.
Costco doesn’t do any cutting and just repackages fish into trays.

SS6099

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 10:41 am
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check Costco out then.

Jetski

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 10:57 am
Quote:
Some stores also have whole red snapper

Red snapper is pricey. OP was looking for cheaper alternatives

egam

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 11:31 am
Jetski wrote:
Quote:
Some stores also have whole red snapper

Red snapper is pricey. OP was looking for cheaper alternatives

Not in Costco.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 2:25 pm
If you are in the US, and you want the freshest fish, go to an Asian market. They prefer to leave the fish whole, so you can clearly see fins and scales. There won't be any questions.

You may end up having to clean the fish yourself, but that means you don't have to worry about a treif knife.

You absolutely cannot beat the flavor and texture of fish that hasn't been frozen and defrosted. It's often a very good bargain for your money, too.

egam

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 3:07 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
If you are in the US, and you want the freshest fish, go to an Asian market. They prefer to leave the fish whole, so you can clearly see fins and scales. There won't be any questions.

You may end up having to clean the fish yourself, but that means you don't have to worry about a treif knife.

You absolutely cannot beat the flavor and texture of fish that hasn't been frozen and defrosted. It's often a very good bargain for your money, too.

True. Asian stores have good fish. And not crazy expensive.

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 3:23 pm
I buy salmon at Costco and cut off a piece each day for lunch when I am on the mood.

Roast at 450° for 6 minutes a half inch. Fold the side of the salmon under to make it more or less uniform. I sprinkle with spice and a spray of PAM. It's simple, moist, and delicious.

Costco salmon lasts me all week. I rinse it off before using.

ddmom

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 8:08 pm
Salmon in aldi was $6.99/lb today!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics