Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
I'm getting eaten alive!
1  2  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 11:39 am
There are at least a dozen mosquitoes in my bedroom right now. They keep swirling around me. I have the window open in hopes that they will fly out, but I think I'm just attracting more in.

I am covered in bites, and I don't know how to get them out of my room! Israeli mosquitoes are much more aggressive than Seattle mosquitoes. Seattle has more, but they are a different type. These are the huge "Tiger Mosquitoes", and they absolutely live up to their name.

HELP!!!!!!

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 11:40 am
Screens. A must on all windows.
Also, at night close all windows.
Sleep with an air fan directly blowing on you.

my mama

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 11:44 am
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015.....0%3A0

I don't know if you can get this in Israel but it has fantastic reviews

Mayflower

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 11:48 am
I use plugs with mosquitoe repellent. Works like a charm.

We also have screens on our windows but one or two will still manage to get in...

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 11:53 am
my mama wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01576DWQU?creativeASIN=B01576DWQU&linkCode=w61&imprToken=Y6xjg99zssItZdHn2gSOgA&slotNum=7&tag=bfelena-20&ascsubtag=5116056%2C1%2C42%2Cm%2C0%2C0%2Cbf-hpp%2C0%3A0

I don't know if you can get this in Israel but it has fantastic reviews

I dab Dead Sea mud on the spots. It works really well.

I do sleep with all the windows closed, I have no screens and the landlady won't put them in. I can't sleep with a fan on me, because I am super sensory. It would keep me awake all night.

I guess I'll have to go to the hardware store, and see what they have for plug in repellent.

I have B+ blood, which is supposed to be extra yummy. Lucky me. Confused

Happydance

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 12:01 pm
You can buy your own screen material from the hardware store and staple gun it in to the window frame

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 12:05 pm
Happydance wrote:
You can buy your own screen material from the hardware store and staple gun it in to the window frame

All metal frame, and cement walls.

I really miss American housing construction. Wood is like gold around here.

Eselle13

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 12:18 pm
I play with lights to get flies and mosquitoes to move. It only works once it's dark outside though.

Turn on a light near where the flies are and turn off all the lights where they are and past them. So that would be to turn on a light in the hallway and turn off all lights in your bedroom and closets.

Then head towards your front door turning on a light closer to the door and then turn off the light further from the door. Wait a few seconds to a minute until you see that the flies are in the lit section. And repeat until you are at the door.

Once you are at the door, turn on your outside light, open the door and turn off the inside light. They should fly right out of the house.

This really works! I used to do it from an attic down 2 floors and out the door in less than 5 minutes.

The other method (which takes a bit longer) is to turn on a lamp or flashlight that can direct light on a section of the wall. Turn off all the other lights and slowly, the mosquitoes will land on the lit section of the wall. Then you have to catch /kill them.

Snickers18

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 12:38 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I dab Dead Sea mud on the spots. It works really well.

I do sleep with all the windows closed, I have no screens and the landlady won't put them in. I can't sleep with a fan on me, because I am super sensory. It would keep me awake all night.

I guess I'll have to go to the hardware store, and see what they have for plug in repellent.

I have B+ blood, which is supposed to be extra yummy. Lucky me. Confused

Funny, I always assumed the opposite because I have the same blood type and mosquitoes simply have no interest in me.

myself

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 12:46 pm
Re: blood type, it depends on the region, I think. I never used to get bitten even when the rest of my family did, and we were just in a different area recently and I was the ONLY one that was covered in bites. So, there ya go. Cuisine varies by location Wink

FF, when I was being bitten left, right and center, I purchased bug repellent bands. They're worn like a bracelet and repel the mosquitoes. I didn't get bitten when I was wearing them so they must've worked. Eucalyptus is an active ingredient in many repellents so you might just want to drop some eucalyptus oil around your windows or on yourself, if that's easier.

groovy1224

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 1:00 pm
Snickers18 wrote:
Funny, I always assumed the opposite because I have the same blood type and mosquitoes simply have no interest in me.

My son and I both have B- and they will feast on me and ignore him. Has to be some other component besides blood type.

(and you'd think his blood would be sweeter with all fruit roll ups he eats)

lavenderchimes

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 1:19 pm
Ugh! Mosquitos are so frustrating! My mother makes her own bug spray, and is very happy with it.

Last edited by lavenderchimes on Thu, Sep 05 2019, 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 1:23 pm
What about one of those bug zapper lights. I have friends who swear by them.

What about an old fashioned mosquito net so at least you won't get bitten while you are sleeping.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 1:29 pm
I just remembered that I have a big box of essential oils, that I haven't looked through in a while.

I hope I have something that will work.

sidewalkchalk

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 1:35 pm
We are obsessed with screens, but we own our apartment. I'm sorry your landlord won't let, even if you pay??

You can make a wood frame to stick in your window, like just wedge it in there, and then make a screen. Or anything rigid.

Or lots of people use zip ties and cover the soragim with mosquito netting.

Worst case, maybe sleep with a fan blowing not on you, but out the window, so they can't fly in??

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 1:55 pm
OK, sometimes it takes someone to point out the obvious, before you realize you already knew the answer.

Now I smell like a hippie on a camping trip!

I searched through my oils and found citronella, red cedar, lemon geranium, and bergamot. (the last one is just to balance out the scent.) I mixed it all up in a little plastic bowl, and then put some cotton balls in it. I dabbed myself with a cotton ball, and then set the rest near my bed.

I'm pretty sure nothing is going to want to come near me now. Very Happy

Rappel

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 2:02 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
OK, sometimes it takes someone to point out the obvious, before you realize you already knew the answer.

Now I smell like a hippie on a camping trip!

I searched through my oils and found citronella, red cedar, lemon geranium, and bergamot. (the last one is just to balance out the scent.) I mixed it all up in a little plastic bowl, and then put some cotton balls in it. I dabbed myself with a cotton ball, and then set the rest near my bed.

I'm pretty sure nothing is going to want to come near me now. Very Happy

Great idea!

If you start eating spicy food, or take nutritional yeast etc, then after a week no mosquito will go NEAR you. You just stop smelling tasty to them!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 05 2019, 2:15 pm
Rappel wrote:
Great idea!

If you start eating spicy food, or take nutritional yeast etc, then after a week no mosquito will go NEAR you. You just stop smelling tasty to them!

I'm eating a big bowl of chili right now! LOL

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:12 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I just remembered that I have a big box of essential oils, that I haven't looked through in a while.

I hope I have something that will work.

Citronella is the classic, but eucalyptus, lavender, clove are also reputed to repel bugs. Lemon eucalyptus is supposed to be THE best.
We just started getting those enormous skeeters now. My eye-hand coordination isn't the best but I'm getting plenty of practice.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 1:15 pm
Vitamin b12 makes the blood taste sour & helps repel mosquitoes
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics