Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
My 4.5 year old daughter has no school !
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:09 am
Somehow I have no school to send my dd to ! Either to far , to expensive or us not being frum enough. We live in boro park / Kensington area. We have a TV in the house and I do wear short sleeves and sandles. Does anyone know if there is a school not far from these neighborhoods that would be a good match ?

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:32 am
Do you have any relatives with a similar hashkafa nearby? Where do they send?
I grew up in boro Park and I honestly don’t think there were any schools locally who catered to that crowd.
Does Prospect Park in Flatbush fit the bill maybe?

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:37 am
I'm getting the feeling that this isn't a matter of you applying and getting rejected. It sounds like you've rejected all the schools because either too far/different hashkafah/too expensive. Have you applied to a few schools?

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 12:40 am
How about the Lubavitcher school on ocean parkway they are accepting of many different types.

dankbar

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 1:30 am
I think you should rather find a school in Flatbush than Boro Park.

Also if you know it's an issue, don't show up to interviews with short sleeves or tell them that you have TV ( I mean if you are trying to get into schools that are more RW than you are, or rather find a school that is a right fit for you)

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 8:02 am
Prospect sounds like your best bet.

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 8:06 am
Why not send to the Lubavitch school in Crown Heights? They take just about anyone. There are buses and carpools from Boro Park. There is another school in Brighton Beach, sorry I don't remember the name, but I know an MO family that is sending their daughters there.

chestnut

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 8:21 am
Shulamith. It's pretty much your own choice for the area.
Oh wait, what about yeshiva Bitachon?

southernbubby

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 9:21 am
lavenderchimes wrote:
Why not send to the Lubavitch school in Crown Heights? They take just about anyone. There are buses and carpools from Boro Park. There is another school in Brighton Beach, sorry I don't remember the name, but I know an MO family that is sending their daughters there.

Also Brooklyn Heights Jewish academy is run by Chabad but has everything from non-Orthodox to frum Chabad.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 9:57 am
yeshiva of manhattan beach

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 10:11 am
Lev Bais Yaakov might have transportation to the Kensington neighborhood. You would have to put on long sleeves when you walk into the school.

Raisin

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 10:16 am
lavenderchimes wrote:

Beis Rivka? (the other girls schools in Crown Heights do not accept just about anyone afaik) I wouldn't think it would be a great fit for a MO kid...she will likely be the only non chabad kid in the class. But you can look into it. Maybe it has changed over the years.

There is a school called Luria (https://luria-academy.org/) near crown Heights that caters to M.O people. I don't know too much about it though. Lamplighters is also another chabad school, but I think more mainstream chabad. (supposed to be a great school)

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 10:24 am
Raisin wrote:
Beis Rivka? (the other girls schools in Crown Heights do not accept just about anyone afaik) I wouldn't think it would be a great fit for a MO kid...she will likely be the only non chabad kid in the class. But you can look into it. Maybe it has changed over the years.

There is a school called Luria (https://luria-academy.org/) near crown Heights that caters to M.O people. I don't know too much about it though. Lamplighters is also another chabad school, but I think more mainstream chabad. (supposed to be a great school)

Luria is open orthodox, not MO at all.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 10:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Somehow I have no school to send my dd to ! Either to far , to expensive or us not being frum enough. We live in boro park / Kensington area. We have a TV in the house and I do wear short sleeves and sandles. Does anyone know if there is a school not far from these neighborhoods that would be a good match ?

Jewish Foundation School in Staten Island has kids going from Brooklyn every day- https://jfssi.org/

Hebrew Language Academy is a charter school (so its free) and has many Jewish kids as well-- https://hlacharterschool.org/

southernbubby

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 10:43 am
Raisin wrote:

Lamplighters has modern Chabad, mainstream Chabad and a few MO from outside the area. Mom's tznius is not an issue. The tuition is on the higher side.
Chabad has a school in Crown Heights called Gan Academy which caters to a wide variety of observance levels but they are very popular and may be full. PM me if this is an option and I can ask DIL for info.

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 11:12 am
First of all, it’s not crazy that she’s not in school yet. You ARE working on it and hopefully you’ll find something soon. It’s not like she’s 10 years old so don’t worry so much.
Has she she ever go to a playgroup before? Do you have family or friends living a similar lifestyle in your area? They might be able to help you!

The neighborhood you are living in is mainly very right winged religious families. I’m sure there are a handful of various other types here and there.
I’m not sure why you chose this neighborhood but I think living in Flatbush which is just a few minutes away would suit your needs better.

Consider Flatbush schools. I really think your family would be accepted there.

There’s nothing more rewarding than watching your child blossom and make friends!

Hatzlocha! I hope things work out for you soon.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 11:18 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yeshiva of Flatbush or shulamith. You will need to move anyway. Your daughter needs friends to play with.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 11:20 am
chestnut wrote:
Shulamith. It's pretty much your own choice for the area.
Oh wait, what about yeshiva Bitachon?

I was thinking of Shulamis as well

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 1:32 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

Consider Flatbush schools. I really think your family would be accepted there.

No mainstream Flatbush school will take a kid whose mother wears short sleeves, sandals, and if they know about tv.
Shulamith, yeshiva Bitachon, yeshiva of Flatbush would, but price and distance might be a problem.

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 1:54 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
No mainstream Flatbush school will take a kid whose mother wears short sleeves, sandals, and if they know about tv.
Shulamith, yeshiva Bitachon, yeshiva of Flatbush would, but price and distance might be a problem.

Lol. Most Flatbush schools have many if not most kids with TVs. Short sleeves not so much, but then again it depends how short. There are definitely a ton who don’t cover their knees.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics