Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Whats so bad about Las Vegas?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Amarante

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:30 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I don't think you can compare the strip to any other tourist destination in the country. I'll put it in blunt term: It is nearly impossible to avoid seeing a practically naked woman if you hang out on the strip for 2 hours. This cannot be said about anyplace else. The taxis and buses have pictures of basically naked woman as they drive up and down the strip. And don't forget the billboards advertising the same.

Actually you can see this in many tourist destinations where the weather is hot.

I am not sure what the actual definition is of "basically naked" but Los Angeles is filled with women wearing crop tops; tank tops and short tight shorts. You can see them on Rodeo Drive - Hollywood Boulevard - all of the amusement parks including Disneyworld as well as in the supermarkets as they are both residents and tourists.

I know people who live in Las Vegas and aren't "corrupted" just as people who live in NY or Los Angeles and live in the "real" world aren't corrupted because of what they see.

As others have posted there is much to do in Las Vegas other than partaking of sinful activities. It is now considered to be a world class eating center because of all the super expensive restaurants there - I can assure you that people spending $500 for a meal are not "white trash" nor are they prancing around in Daisy Dukes.

My parents visited Las Vegas several times and enjoyed it and have absolutely no interest in gambling or w*horing or clubbing or any other activity of that ilk. They enjoyed the desert and Hoover dam and one trip was with an architectural college field trip.

I don't understand how one can travel in any modern city and not see people dressed as they do in Vegas - obviously adjusting for climate of course.

And the post in which a claim was made that everyone in the airport looked like white trash was patently ridiculous. Ignoring the distasteful use of the term, people in the Vegas airport include mostly normal people dressed normally and of all economic and social levels. It is a microcosm of modern society - what one would see in any tourist spot. Are people in the airport in Puerto Vallarta dressed in dark suits and wool coats?

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:35 am
Amarante wrote:
And the post in which a claim was made that everyone in the airport looked like white trash was patently ridiculous. Ignoring the distasteful use of the term, people in the Vegas airport include mostly normal people dressed normally and of all economic and social levels.

The people outside the airport were "drunken mostly naked people that behave indecently" but inside the airport the educated professionals are safe from cultural contamination.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:47 am
In NYC, I've seen women walk the streets wearing nothing but jewelry. (Anon because I've mentioned this to someone IRL.)

amother
Red

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:48 am
urban gypsy wrote:
Are there no underwear or swimwear advertisements anywhere else in the USA?
I see 100 posters with nearly naked women every time I go to the mall.

Nope, not the same. Your considering a woman in a bikini to be nearly naked. The pictures on the cabs and buses are not just woman in bikinis. It's less than bikinis, posing in the most provocative vulgar way. If your comparing this to bikinis, it just means you've never been to Vegas. Google it if your interested and your filter allows it. There's no way this goes on elsewhere.

Amarante

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:59 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Nope, not the same. Your considering a woman in a bikini to be nearly naked. The pictures on the cabs and buses are not just woman in bikinis. It's less than bikinis, posing in the most provocative vulgar way. If your comparing this to bikinis, it just means you've never been to Vegas. Google it if your interested and your filter allows it. There's no way this goes on elsewhere.

There are advertisements for "gentleman's clubs" in Los Angeles and there are gentleman's clubs on La Brea. I know this because I pass the billboards and the actual clubs every time I drive to the supermarket. I think one is located next to the gas station I generally use. Very Happy

Amarante

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:02 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
In NYC, I've seen women walk the streets wearing nothing but jewelry. (Anon because I've mentioned this to someone IRL.)

It is legal for a woman to walk around topless in NYC. I know this because there have been some recent instances in which some famous women did it just to show it could be done. Obviously most women in NY are not walking around topless.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:04 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:

I take your point. This relates to the recent thread from the poster who was felt uncomfortable about her husband watching a television show with women in bikinis though he would not watch shows with undressed women in a s3xual context. Surely in the context of shmiras einayim the sin is the same.

Why do you consider the women in the Vegas ads to be so much more objectionable than women in high fashion or swimwear ads? Is the problem the ad style looks cheap and trashy? Is the problem that they are posing on an advertisement with a phone number where the women can be easily reached? Are the women objectively prettier or more well endowed than models?

I'm not trying to defend inappropriate pictures. My point is that surely OP's DH is not going to Las Vegas to gaze at these pictures. He has a reason to be there and he probably won't be there again. I think the damage will be minimal and no worse than seeing an inappropriate ad in Times Square.

Last edited by urban gypsy on Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:05 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:

Oh, I've apparently missed that!

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:08 am
There is a well known title company based in lakewood that requires all employees who attend the annual business conference in Las Vegas to attend with a spouse, and the company foots the bill. My friend goes with her dh each year. I used to think it was a bit much.

I attended a conference in Las Vegas, for a different industry, last year. There was one group of men with kippas/ yarmulkes at the conference who arrived in a car pool, told me they davened together, stayed in same hotel a drive from the strip and I saw them arrive and leave together each day.

After the conference was over, I went for a walk on the street at 430pm to pick up advil at the pharmacy and see the sights at the Aria, Bellagio, Venitian, etc. On my walk, I received 4 business cards for girls, met 2 showgirls on the street and saw billboards advertising girls on wheels, hitched to trucks all over. Every public restroom I was in advertised where to go for help if you are a victim of trafficking.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:23 am
urban gypsy wrote:
I take your point. This relates to the recent thread from the poster who was felt uncomfortable about her husband watching a television show with women in bikinis though he would not watch shows with undressed women in a s3xual context. Surely in the context of shmiras einayim the sin is the same.

Why do you consider the women in the Vegas ads to be so much more objectionable than women in high fashion or swimwear ads? Is the problem the ad style looks cheap and trashy? Is the problem that they are posing on an advertisement with a phone number where the women can be easily reached? Are the women objectively prettier or more well endowed than models?

I'm not trying to defend inappropriate pictures. My point is that surely OP's DH is not going to Las Vegas to gaze at these pictures. He has a reason to be there and he probably won't be there again. I think the damage will be minimal and no worse than seeing an inappropriate ad in Times Square.

Because a swimwear ad will have a woman smiling or running in a bathing suit bikini. Really nothing different then you would see (if you go) at the beach.
The vegas ads are of woman in tiny thongs bending over smiling at you with the ad saying "direct to your room in 60 minutes or less". There's no comparison.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:47 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Because a swimwear ad will have a woman smiling or running in a bathing suit bikini. Really nothing different then you would see (if you go) at the beach.
The vegas ads are of woman in tiny thongs bending over smiling at you with the ad saying "direct to your room in 60 minutes or less". There's no comparison.

IDK I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.
Maybe if you are buying swimwear from LL Bean or Talbots.
Do you not have Calvin Klein, Victoria's Secret, American Apparel, or Abercrombie advertisements in your city? A lot of these are wildly inappropriate.
I think it's the direct to your room in 60 minutes or less part that is bothering you.
Just like I wouldn't be worried that my husband would see an ad for pepperoni pizza "direct to your room in 60 minutes or less" and decide to sin, I wouldn't be worried about this either.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:48 am
Urban gypsy, have you ever been to Vegas that you're so adamant that it's not that bad?
Because women are sharing their experiences they had in Vegas, and they're not lying or exaggerating.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:57 am
urban gypsy wrote:
IDK I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this.
Maybe if you are buying swimwear from LL Bean or Talbots.
Do you not have Calvin Klein, Victoria's Secret, American Apparel, or Abercrombie advertisements in your city? A lot of these are wildly inappropriate.
I think it's the direct to your room in 60 minutes or less part that is bothering you.
Just like I wouldn't be worried that my husband would see an ad for pepperoni pizza "direct to your room in 60 minutes or less" and decide to sin, I wouldn't be worried about this either.

Another difference is that if I go with my husband to the mall and there's a victoria secret store, we can easily avoid it. If my husband is on the Las vegas strip, he will inevitably see for example, a topless woman with her arm covering her nipples, wearing a thong, smiling with a phone number. I'm not exaggerating even slightly. Like I said, you can easily google the adult ads in vegas if your filter allows it.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:58 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Urban gypsy, have you ever been to Vegas that you're so adamant that it's not that bad?
Because women are sharing their experiences they had in Vegas, and they're not lying or exaggerating.

Nope! But powderblue, thunderstorm, nchr, stillnewlywed, Amarante, royalblue, treetop12, HonesttoGod, misrael, and SixofWands have been there, and green lives there, and they all say that it's not that bad.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:03 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
If my husband is on the Las Vegas strip, he will inevitably see for example, a topless woman with her arm covering her nipples, wearing a thong, smiling with a phone number. I'm not exaggerating even slightly.

I'm not trying to be obtuse but I literally see ads exactly like that every day in newspapers, magazines, on bus shelters, and downtown. The topless with an arm across your chest pose is so normal for fashion ads. I guess I'm just desensitized and find it hard to get all that worked up about it.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:11 am
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
There are a lot of things that can be wrong even if you don't have relations with someone else. Everyone jumping on OP for supposedly assuming her DH will have s-x there, are just not getting it. Shmiras einayim is a thing in and of itself. Plenty of ways to go wrong even if you don't sleep with anyone.

This whole Shmiras A is funny. You think in Lakewood/BP, you are safe.
Many frum women , dress way more inappropriately than the N-Jews in my bariatric support group meetings

And most men are more attracted to women from the same culture as them

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:17 am
I was at a work conference in Vegas earlier this year, and honestly I can't comment on how appropriate or inappropriate the strip is because the only time I saw it was from the window of the Uber to/from the airport. The hotel was on the strip, but I stayed in the same hotel in which the conference was held. The company had arranged for kosher food to be delivered to me. I literally did not leave the building for the two days I was there until it was time to go back to the airport. I was not exposed to anything inappropriate. If that is what the OP's husband will be doing, I wouldn't be concerned.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:43 am
I've been to Las Vegas, LA, NYC (lived there for several years), Rotterdam, and I've even walked through the red light district in Amsterdam.

There are zex workers in every major city in the world, and zexy billboards as well. The red light district was not zexy at all, it just looked tired and sad. Everything was legal, and hardly anybody was there. Empty and deserted for the most part.

Besides, as far as anyone knows, there could be extremely attractive and lonely business women at this meeting - and they'd have things in common to talk about. Anyone think of that?

If you go down the rabbit hole, you'll never come out. At some point you just have to trust.

soap suds

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 12:05 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
No one comes to any city to tour the residential and frum areas. I mean, when people say they're coming to NYC, do you think they mean that they're going to walk abound Flatbush?

Not to derail this thread, but just saying...
https://nypost.com/2019/09/07/.....itter

princessleah

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 2:04 pm
Whoa I must be out to lunch. I went to LV for a weekend about 8 years ago. Basically I was so jetlagged the whole time, I could barely keep my eyes open.
We walked around and looked at the cool hotel lobbies. We played on one Blackjack machine, won $5, and cashed out.
On Shabbat we sat by the pool and read books/fell asleep. Some people around the pool were noisy and drinking so we moved to a quieter one. Went out to dinner. Went home.

Don't remember being handed harlot cards. I remember a lot of aggressive advertising to see shows or participate in "focus groups." Maybe I was just not interested in noticing the naked girls....
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics