Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Whats so bad about Las Vegas?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:28 pm
If one goes for business, they usually stay within the hotel & conference center. There's no reason or time to go out.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 1:49 pm
Ruchel wrote:
There are people who live in beach towns, rabbis etc. I do suppose it's different when it's the normal thing. But if you are afraid to go because you think you might be so tempted you'll have relations with someone else! OY!

There are a lot of things that can be wrong even if you don't have relations with someone else. Everyone jumping on OP for supposedly assuming her DH will have s-x there, are just not getting it. Shmiras einayim is a thing in and of itself. Plenty of ways to go wrong even if you don't sleep with anyone.

cuterpatooter

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 1:53 pm
my husband grew up in las vegas, and my in-laws live there. Apart from the strip, it's a normal suburban town with a vibrant and growing frum community. We go back to visit a couple of times a year.

The frum community regularly and happily hosts people - https://ahavastorahcenter.org/shabbos/
it says shabbos but I know they often host over weekdays.

If that's not an option, he can request to be in a hotel off the strip, that would be ideal.
If he needs to stay in the strip for work, it should be ok.
tbh I'd be more concerned if he's the type to want to gamble, since that is available literally everywhere. Also marijuana stores are plentiful. Besides that, I think a person would have to actively go to a club/show/etc to be exposed.There will be inapropiate advertisements, less than times square (which surprised me!)
I hear why your Rav would prefer you travel with him if he's on the strip, I think it's like almost a hashkafah/sensitivity thing over a real fear that he's going to do something crazy, but unless the Rav forbids it, it should be fine. hope this helped!

amother
Red

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 1:54 pm
nchr wrote:
I agree with you. It's also shocking how many people here think it is possible to "control" another adult (their spouses) and that it is ok to do things like dictate where he may go, check his phone, not give him any free time, etc.

So your doing the classic argument technique (without even realizing it) and changing what people are saying to make your point more valid. I'm fascinated by psychology and I always get a kick when I see it here, which is very frequent. An example would be:

Person A: I think recess in 3rd grade is too long.

Person B: What??? Are you nuts??? you don't think 3rd graders should have recess???

Obviously person A never said that, she only said recess was too long. Person B wants to make her argument stronger so exaggerates Person A position.

Your doing the same thing.

Nobody on this thread is talking about "controlling" their spouse. Nobody is talking about actually dictating where a spouse is or isn't allowed to go. Nobody said a spouse isn't allowed to have free time. Literally NOBODY. However, in an effort to put down the opposing argument, you create an imaginary story that is not being discussed. The discussion is about whether Vegas is appropriate or not. Not whether woman should dictate what their spouses can do.

nchr

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 2:17 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
So your doing the classic argument technique (without even realizing it) and changing what people are saying to make your point more valid. I'm fascinated by psychology and I always get a kick when I see it here, which is very frequent. An example would be:

Person A: I think recess in 3rd grade is too long.

Person B: What??? Are you nuts??? you don't think 3rd graders should have recess???

Obviously person A never said that, she only said recess was too long. Person B wants to make her argument stronger so exaggerates Person A position.

Your doing the same thing.

Nobody on this thread is talking about "controlling" their spouse. Nobody is talking about actually dictating where a spouse is or isn't allowed to go. Nobody said a spouse isn't allowed to have free time. Literally NOBODY. However, in an effort to put down the opposing argument, you create an imaginary story that is not being discussed. The discussion is about whether Vegas is appropriate or not. Not whether woman should dictate what their spouses can do.

Um? My comment you quoted was not related to this thread, to vegas, or to this OP/op . The poster I responded to was commenting about the site in general. There have been several threads on the site where people condone checking phones, etc. I already made my comments relevant to thread earlier.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:20 am
Librarian wrote:
We sat waiting for our flight for 6 hours rather than being in that toilet bowl. We are educated professionals, not at all sheltered, grew up in NYC. Even the "regular" people walking around are low class white trash. I need a shower even thinking about it!

Wow this was unbelievably harsh and judgmental Sad
Do you only interact with people of your socioeconomic level in real life?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:43 am
Urban gypsy, it's not harsh. Vegas is a toilet bowl full of tumah. Why is it so hard for some to accept that some places are full of tumah and we as jews don't belong there???? And to get offended when someone calls it exactly what it is?? To defend a place full of tumah and trash??

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:47 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Urban gypsy, it's not harsh. Vegas is a toilet bowl full of tumah. Why is it so hard for some to accept that some places are full of tumah and we as jews don't belong there???? And to get offended when someone calls it exactly what it is?? To defend a place full of tumah and trash??

I think Urban Gypsy is upset about the "white trash" comment, not the rest. (To be fair, this comment may not have referred to socioeconomic level, but to behavior.)

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:47 am

Calling regular people low class white trash is harsh and judgmental.
I'm sorry if you were raised to believe that being an "educated professional" is a license to attack others in this way.
I assume you are okay with non Jewish "educated professionals" calling frum people on food stamps who live in the housing projects similar names.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:58 am
Urban gypsy, what other name besides for trash would you call drunken mostly naked people that behave indecently in public? To me they're trash. I think the non jews agree with this as well.
But these people are NOT the locals, they're the tourists.
I'm sure the locals that live in Vegas are normal people.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:05 am
Urban gypsy, what other name besides for trash would you call drunken mostly naked people that behave indecently in public? To me they're trash. I think the non jews agree with this as well.
But these people are NOT the locals, they're the tourists.
I'm sure the locals that live in Vegas are normal people.

Perhaps, no name calling.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:25 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Perhaps, no name calling.

The name calling combined with the self aggrandizing is a little much.

Why not say, we had a flight scheduled out of Las Vegas. We planned to do some sightseeing but unfortunately we didn't find anything of interest in the city. We were disappointed and bored sitting in the airport.

I just found the image of educated, unsheltered professionals cowering in hiding from the white trash poors in the airport sort of distasteful, that's all.

Last edited by urban gypsy on Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:56 am
urban gypsy wrote:
The name calling combined with the self aggrandizing is a little much.

Why not say, we had a flight scheduled out of Los Angeles. We planned to do some sightseeing but unfortunately we didn't find anything of interest in the city. We were disappointed and bored sitting in the airport.

I just found the image of educated, unsheltered professionals cowering in hiding from the white trash poors in the airport sort of distasteful, that's all.

There were a few things going on in that post.

I think all that the poster was trying to say was 'we're worldly folks - and from what we've seen you just can't equivocate walking around NYC or LA to walking around LV as far as to compare how people dress.

word choice wasn't great.

my80

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:32 am
misrael thanks so much for your reponse, I'm the OP. it was very informative. my husband is planning to stay in the chabad apartments, is that a good idea, ie away from the strip?
Where are the shows held, are they all on the strip, ie there is no way to totally avoid the pritzus. I trust him but hate the idea of him being exposed to billboards/pics of women naked except their nipples if you know what I mean.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:44 am

You mean like [a poster's] family, and all of the others in the frum community there?

Nice.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:48 am
Sixofwands, I think you know what I mean. Vegas attracts tourists for a reason.
No one goes to Vegas to tour the residential or frum areas.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:59 am
my80 wrote:
misrael thanks so much for your reponse, I'm the OP. it was very informative. my husband is planning to stay in the chabad apartments, is that a good idea, ie away from the strip?
Where are the shows held, are they all on the strip, ie there is no way to totally avoid the pritzus. I trust him but hate the idea of him being exposed to billboards/pics of women naked except their nipples if you know what I mean.

I'm not misrael but yes, outside the strip, Las Vegas is a regular city just like any other with families, schools, parks, libraries, shopping malls and everything else.

Many people who go to vegas, even on business, end up on the strip. As someone else pointed out, There is no place in the United States as vulgar and filthy as the strip. Not even close. If your dh will not be on the strip then it's really no different from other cities. I suppose the airport has some adult pictures but not nearly as bad as the strip.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 12:01 pm
Sixofwands, I think you know what I mean. Vegas attracts tourists for a reason.
No one goes to Vegas to tour the residential or frum areas.

No one comes to any city to tour the residential and frum areas. I mean, when people say they're coming to NYC, do you think they mean that they're going to walk abound Flatbush?

But calling people trash, and a "toilet" is nasty and offensive, particularly when you don't have the guts to do it in your wholly fictitious name. What's the matter? Afraid people will realize you're nasty?

People in Las Vegas dress pretty much like people everywhere else. In the diamond district of NYC this morning, I saw a woman wearing a sleeveless eyelet minidress -- ending about 4 inches below her crotch -- and high heeled over the knee suede boots. I noticed because its a bizarre outfit; I mean, pick one, barely there dress, or boots. But maybe the diamond district should now be deemed a toilet where everyone is trash, and no frum person should be.

In fact, Las Vegas now has a lot of family attractions, and is being marketed as a family destination.

Are there shows with scantily clad women on the Strip? Sure. They have that in Radio City in NY as well. Are there strip clubs? Yup, there and everywhere else -- but not on the Strip itself. Are there billboards? Everywhere, in Las Vegas and every other city.

If her husband goes looking for trouble, it will be easy to find in Las Vegas. But it will be easy to find pretty much anywhere.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 12:21 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
No one comes to any city to tour the residential and frum areas. I mean, when people say they're coming to NYC, do you think they mean that they're going to walk abound Flatbush?

But calling people trash, and a "toilet" is nasty and offensive, particularly when you don't have the guts to do it in your wholly fictitious name. What's the matter? Afraid people will realize you're nasty?

People in Las Vegas dress pretty much like people everywhere else. In the diamond district of NYC this morning, I saw a woman wearing a sleeveless eyelet minidress -- ending about 4 inches below her crotch -- and high heeled over the knee suede boots. I noticed because its a bizarre outfit; I mean, pick one, barely there dress, or boots. But maybe the diamond district should now be deemed a toilet where everyone is trash, and no frum person should be.

In fact, Las Vegas now has a lot of family attractions, and is being marketed as a family destination.

Are there shows with scantily clad women on the Strip? Sure. They have that in Radio City in NY as well. Are there strip clubs? Yup, there and everywhere else -- but not on the Strip itself. Are there billboards? Everywhere, in Las Vegas and every other city.

If her husband goes looking for trouble, it will be easy to find in Las Vegas. But it will be easy to find pretty much anywhere.

I don't think you can compare the strip to any other tourist destination in the country. I'll put it in blunt term: It is nearly impossible to avoid seeing a practically naked woman if you hang out on the strip for 2 hours. This cannot be said about anyplace else. The taxis and buses have pictures of basically naked woman as they drive up and down the strip. And don't forget the billboards advertising the same.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 12:28 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
I'll put it in blunt term: It is nearly impossible to avoid seeing a practically naked woman if you hang out on the strip for 2 hours. This cannot be said about anyplace else.

Are there no underwear or swimwear advertisements anywhere else in the USA?
I see 100 posters with nearly naked women every time I go to the mall.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics