Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What Shabbos pump urn do you like?

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 1:32 pm
I've had my pump urn for about 7 years and it only REALLY worked well for the first year or so. Over the years, its become more of an effort to get the water to dispense and last shabbos we finally had to come to the realization that its time for a new one. UGH. I can only get out about 1/4 of the water and then no more suction.

I like the pump urns for safety. I am terrified to use the other kind because I know my kids. Even with a lock in place, its too easy for one of them to try using it anyways. Our pesach urn is the kind with the pour handle and they are just too young for me to feel comfortable with it at this stage. So pump it is.

The store where I live has two options and he said to buy the Eurolux one. I called a store in Brooklyn that I will not name, they have a website with these options so I called them. I spoke to two different guys there and each told me the opposite thing about Eurolux vs. Royalux. Each guy said the other brand was out of business and each said the other one is the best. But both guys said all pump urns stop pumping after about a year. I ended up getting a Eurolux from the place where I live.

I am not spending more than $80. What brand is the best of this type of urn? What do you do when the pump stops working well?

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 1:46 pm
watergirl wrote:
I've had my pump urn for about 7 years and it only REALLY worked well for the first year or so. Over the years, its become more of an effort to get the water to dispense and last shabbos we finally had to come to the realization that its time for a new one. UGH. I can only get out about 1/4 of the water and then no more suction.

I like the pump urns for safety. I am terrified to use the other kind because I know my kids. Even with a lock in place, its too easy for one of them to try using it anyways. Our pesach urn is the kind with the pour handle and they are just too young for me to feel comfortable with it at this stage. So pump it is.

The store where I live has two options and he said to buy the Eurolux one. I called a store in Brooklyn that I will not name, they have a website with these options so I called them. I spoke to two different guys there and each told me the opposite thing about Eurolux vs. Royalux. Each guy said the other brand was out of business and each said the other one is the best. But both guys said all pump urns stop pumping after about a year. I ended up getting a Eurolux from the place where I live.

I am not spending more than $80. What brand is the best of this type of urn? What do you do when the pump stops working well?

Well, mine is about 15 years old, so I guess they're wrong. However, I only use it on Shabbat and yom tov, if that matters.

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirus.....r=1-4

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 1:56 pm
I have a Eurolux model number EL-5151S that I bought a year or two ago so I don't know if they still make it. I really like it. It has a Shabbos mode button so that only the pump works but when it's not Shabbos you can press a button to unlock it and then press another button to dispense the hot water. I don't remember what I spent on it though, sorry.

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 2:07 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
I have a Eurolux model number EL-5151S that I bought a year or two ago so I don't know if they still make it. I really like it. It has a Shabbos mode button so that only the pump works but when it's not Shabbos you can press a button to unlock it and then press another button to dispense the hot water. I don't remember what I spent on it though, sorry.

Thanks. What would you use to dispense if not the pump?

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 2:10 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Well, mine is about 15 years old, so I guess they're wrong. However, I only use it on Shabbat and yom tov, if that matters.

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirus.....r=1-4

I also only use mine on shabbos and YT. How many pumps does it take to fill a mug?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 2:34 pm
We stopped buying pumps. They were money pits.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Sep 06 2019, 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 2:37 pm
watergirl wrote:
I also only use mine on shabbos and YT. How many pumps does it take to fill a mug?

1 or 2, I think. I've never really thought about it.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 3:17 pm
watergirl wrote:

Some come with an electric dispense button. It saves the pump from getting worn out if you use it all week.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 3:51 pm
watergirl wrote:

It comes out from the same place but it saves wear and tear since you don't have to press down on the Shabbos pump part.

ddmom

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 4:05 pm
I had a urn with a spout that lasted over 10 years then got one with a pump....to be "extremely unhappy" with it is a huge understatement!!!
Pump stopped working very soon after we got it!
I need a new one now and will only look for the old type!!

watergirl

Post Fri, Sep 06 2019, 5:13 pm
Sounds like its a toss up!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics