Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Dr. said I have to stop working for now - ideas for $$??

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 7:44 pm
My Dr. diagnosed me with a (hopefully) temporary medical condition, and said I would need to stop working for the next 4 - 6 months. I work on a 1099 so I do not qualify for disability programs (that I know of). Has anyone been in this situation before? Any programs that I could qualify for? Or online jobs I could look for?
Thanks!!

dankbar

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 8:02 pm
I think you should heed the doctor's advice & rest and not look for any job right now.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 8:08 pm
Wish I could . . . my husband's salary won't cover food, house, medical co-pays and tuition.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 8:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wish I could . . . my husband's salary won't cover food, house, medical co-pays and tuition.

You may get a 'big fat no' but you should contact the schools and let them know what the situation is and see if they can work with you.

Return to full health soon!

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 8:32 pm
I got billed for tuition for the time my sick child was out of school ( over a year) with my husband being unemployed at time.

SYA

Post Sat, Sep 07 2019, 11:21 pm
Check if you qualify for snap / food stamps, WIC, and health insurance.

At a time like this you shouldn't be embarrassed to use the govt programs if you need it.

You'll probably need a doctor's letter and proof of your husband's income.

Also reach out to your children's schools and see if they can give you a tuition break.

If your doctor says you can't work then you shouldn't be looking for work. You need to get better. That's your priority now.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 4:13 am
What are the reasons your doctor said not to work? If it's the commute, then yes, online. If it's the physical positioning of sitting at a desk, being in the office, running after kids, then yes, online and at home if using a computer/laptop wouldn't aggravate it. If it's the stress or something like that, it's not so simple. Though some people find something like proofreading at their own pace to be relaxing if they normally teach preschool or do trading.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:13 am
Thank you for your replies. I can't move much, I have to rest, and might have a surgery to resolve things in the future. The school won't let my kids come without paying. I don't think I'll qualify for WIC b/c my husband has a normal income, it's just that a high percentage goes to tuition, for families who send to public school it would be a livable income.
I never heard of snap, what is that?
The suggestion for proofreading sounds good, should I just cold call magazines and newspapers?
Thanks!

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for your replies. I can't move much, I have to rest, and might have a surgery to resolve things in the future. The school won't let my kids come without paying. I don't think I'll qualify for WIC b/c my husband has a normal income, it's just that a high percentage goes to tuition, for families who send to public school it would be a livable income.
I never heard of snap, what is that?
The suggestion for proofreading sounds good, should I just cold call magazines and newspapers?
Thanks!

Snap is a new name for food stamps
Basically they send you a credit card and put money on it every month depending on your family size and income.
Surprisingly at one point we were eligible. I hadn’t even thought to apply at first but when I looked into it we actually qualified even though my husband had a so so income.
I can help you figure out if you should apply if you tell me
1- where you live
2- family size
3- household income

There’s nothing like a few hundred dollars put in a credit card for you to use when you go food shopping! It saved us when we were really going through a hard time. (BH things are much better now)

Maybe you can call your children’s school and ask if they have any computer or paper work you can do from home?
Also please apply for temporary disability. You can get a certain amount deposited into your bank account if you have a doctor fill out a disability form.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:52 am
Thanks for your help! Can one qualify for disability if they freelance or work off of a 1099? Who would I contact?
I will look into snap. I feel a bit strange posting the details of our life here but I really do appreciate your concern!

ora_43

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 10:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks!

Newspapers and magazines have editors, not proofreaders. I think you could try what you suggested, but make sure to emphasize your experience with writing in general and with the specific subject matter. Publications don't (just) need somebody who notices things like "their" vs "they're," they need someone who can tell which sentences don't sound quite right (and change them so that they do) and who can catch mistakes like referring to a politician by the wrong title.

(I'm not saying you need to wait until you have 5 years experience to make the call. Just that when you call, emphasize those areas - eg "I am passionate about writing, and was responsible for inter-office communication at my old job" and not just "I am good at attention to detail.")

A similar option would be helping students with their papers.

If you know multiple languages, you could do translation.

Content writing and tutoring are also common online jobs. (Tutoring is less flexible time-wise, so take that into consideration.)

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 10:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for your help! Can one qualify for disability if they freelance or work off of a 1099? Who would I contact?
I will look into snap. I feel a bit strange posting the details of our life here but I really do appreciate your concern!

You pay into social security - just like an employee does - but you from what you wrote you don't qualify for disability from that program. https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/disability/

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:12 am
Right, I didn't think I qualify for that, that's why I was wondering if there were any other programs for people with disabilities, or if anyone was in this situation what they have done.
I actually used to work with writing ages ago, maybe it will still count for proofreading.
Thanks everyone.

ora_43

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Right, I didn't think I qualify for that, that's why I was wondering if there were any other programs for people with disabilities, or if anyone was in this situation what they have done.
I actually used to work with writing ages ago, maybe it will still count for proofreading.
Thanks everyone.

It will! I'm just saying, call it "editing." Sounds much better Wink

Also, newspapers and magazines are just a small corner of the market. A lot of businesses need editing work as well. And individuals (mostly students IME, but also some people looking for a second pair of eyes on their manuscript or whatever else).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics