Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Candy and soda at school
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:45 am
I think that there are two unhealthy attitudes here.
One is giving out unhealthy food as a reward. (Doing good allows you to enjoy. Doing bad doesn't. )

The other is obsessing over food. (You can have one of this on alternate Tuesdays, one of these on rosh chodesh, but never that.)

We should eat sweets when our bodies crave them, and not otherwise. That's healthy eating.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:53 am
Our bodies crave sweets even when we don't need them due to the way food is manufactured and eaten these days.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:07 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
I think that there are two unhealthy attitudes here.
One is giving out unhealthy food as a reward. (Doing good allows you to enjoy. Doing bad doesn't. )

The other is obsessing over food. (You can have one of this on alternate Tuesdays, one of these on rosh chodesh, but never that.)

We should eat sweets when our bodies crave them, and not otherwise. That's healthy eating.

But there are designated times for certain foods. We eat differently on Shabbos and YomTov than during the week.
I have cookbooks from my grandmother that are nearly a century old and what was a big treat then is ho-hum today. They did have sugar and women did bake but people probably had to economize more. Some processed breakfast cereal and snacks probably didn't exist in the average home.
My grandchildren left some Trix cereal here and there are at least 4 artificial colors in a serving of cereal and that is before school starts for the day.
What I am trying to say by this lengthy diatribe is that we may crave something because we are accustomed to eating it and not because our bodies need it to stay healthy.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:47 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I wish I could get my pediatrician, who specializes in behavioral issues in kids and ADHD (among many other things) to post his very educated opinion on this thread.
He sees a clear correlation between sugar, chemicals and hyperactivity in kids.

It is so backward to think otherwise. For some reason, the frum schools haven't really gotten the memo but most other educated, middle/upper class communities are so much more mindful. It's pretty ironic as guarding one's health is actually a Torah commandment.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/dis.....50889

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/18......html

I guess folks like the Mayo Clinic are "backwards." So glad that an anonymous woman on the internet was able to set me straight!

southernbubby

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:06 am
SixOfWands wrote:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/adhd/symptoms-causes/syc-20350889

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/18......html

I guess folks like the Mayo Clinic are "backwards." So glad that an anonymous woman on the internet was able to set me straight!

Sugar doesn't cause ADHD but parents of neuro typical children often notice unruly, rambunctious, or temperamental behavior after overeating of processed snacks. Of course it can't be proven scientifically but parents are reluctant to let their kids overindulge if that is the parent's experience or perception of the behavior. Of course it is a combination of factors such as excitement over the event itself and the alteration of the child's normal routine. It is probably a combination of the three.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:11 am
SixOfWands wrote:
PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS. YOU ARE ENDANGERING THE LIVES OF CHILDREN WITH REAL ALLERGIES.

Because the day will come when teachers, and other students, see your kid having junk food. And if your "allergic" kid is fine, why shouldn't I send the granola bar with tree nuts. Except that's going to kill the kid who really is allergic.

Allergies are real, serious health issues. Don't pretend your kids has them because your kid eats things that you don't want him to.

While I completely agree with you that one should never lie about his or her child having an allergy, I just want to say that I sympathize with a parent's desire to do this.

My kids's schools are allergy aware schools, so I (as do the other parents) go to great lengths to make sure that the snacks/lunches I send my kids will not endanger anyone else's. Often this is inconvenient and/or more expensive (My kids love everything bagels and peanut putter sandwiches) but of course, it is a sacrifice I make without question.

So it's frustrating that when other parents want to put their foot down over the amount of candy, processed foods, and sugary drinks that are offered at school, it is shut down with lame arguments like 'those kids that are deprived of candy end up being binge eaters and have it worse.' It doesn't seem like a big deal for a teacher to offer a laffy taffy as an incentive but he/she may not realize that other teachers are doing the same thing! And the whole thing could be such a non issue because there are PLENTY of other things teachers could offer as incentives, it just might take a little more creativity.

Parents that want less candy in schools aren't suggesting we burn ALL the lollipops and ice cream trucks. But it's just not fair to tell a parent that they are (naturally) responsible for their children's health and well being, and send them home loaded with sour sticks and gum balls, and just wish them luck with that.

My point is that the same way we go to great lengths to avoid foods with possible allergens, we can and should put a stop to the constant sugary 'treats' that are given out in some schools. No, it's not as deadly as peanuts or sesame seeds, but it's loaded with additives whose health implications we don't fully understand yet, plus it's addictive and it lowers a child's appetite for more nutritious foods.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:23 am
groovy1224 wrote:
While I completely agree with you that one should never lie about his or her child having an allergy, I just want to say that I sympathize with a parent's desire to do this.

My kids's schools are allergy aware schools, so I (as do the other parents) go to great lengths to make sure that the snacks/lunches I send my kids will not endanger anyone else's. Often this is inconvenient and/or more expensive (My kids love everything bagels and peanut putter sandwiches) but of course, it is a sacrifice I make without question.

So it's frustrating that when other parents want to put their foot down over the amount of candy, processed foods, and sugary drinks that are offered at school, it is shut down with lame arguments like 'those kids that are deprived of candy end up being binge eaters and have it worse.' It doesn't seem like a big deal for a teacher to offer a laffy taffy as an incentive but he/she may not realize that other teachers are doing the same thing! And the whole thing could be such a non issue because there are PLENTY of other things teachers could offer as incentives, it just might take a little more creativity.

Parents that want less candy in schools aren't suggesting we burn ALL the lollipops and ice cream trucks. But it's just not fair to tell a parent that they are (naturally) responsible for their children's health and well being, and send them home loaded with sour sticks and gum balls, and just wish them luck with that.

My point is that the same way we go to great lengths to avoid foods with possible allergens, we can and should put a stop to the constant sugary 'treats' that are given out in some schools. No, it's not as deadly as peanuts or sesame seeds, but it's loaded with additives whose health implications we don't fully understand yet, plus it's addictive and it lowers a child's appetite for more nutritious foods.

Exactly!
I would feel beyond lousy if I ate cake, chips and candy and washed it down with a sugary drink.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:26 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Our bodies crave sweets even when we don't need them due to the way food is manufactured and eaten these days.

Same with crunchy and salty snacks; formulated to be addictive.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 12:00 pm
thegiver wrote:
My 5yo is being given things I cant stand and comes home moody and raging at me. Cant help but think its the effect of the sugar. Plus it doesnt help concentration. Plus cavities. Plus addictive element. Plus alters taste bud perception for natural sugars.

Spoke to teachers and menahel and didnt help. Now what! Has anyone tackled this issue before successfully?

Arent there alternatives to reward learning? Also shabbos parties can be toned down.

Parents are to blame too for the younger ones bec they send in the nosh and teachers are too kind to regulate it. Ive told teachers my kids dont eat candy. It was useless.

What about the hashgacha of candy. Is it ever an issue)

Is there anything I can do??? Do petitions do anything?

Hi op
I had a similar issue with my second grader last year. The rebbe gave candy for EVERYTHING ! My son is kah very bright and he would get an average of 6 sticky candies a day! Every Tuesday was a soda and often an airhead or two as well!
It drove us crazy!! He came home with awful stomache pains Bec of all the sugar he wasn’t used to... would sit on the toilet and CRY!! Could be he got more bec he answered alot questions but we wanted it to stop ASAP
Taking to the rebbe didn’t work out although he did try to replace it for my son bec I called and said he’s being tested for crohns due to all his stomache pain and doc wants candy eliminated ASAP to see if that’s the issue.
In the end we started paying my son for each candy he brought home.
Because we wanted it home no matter what
Between nov and June he made about $40!!
He loved getting the money so was motivating for him. He got the candy he “deserved” by answering questions and the money! Best of both worlds!
And Bh his stomache pains disappeared
He did eat the candy on occasion but honestly? They lose the excitement after getting so much candy after awhile...
Best of luck!

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 12:42 pm
I allow my kids to have junk food -but limited! Medium junk foods as I call them -with limited sugar & no good coloring during the week. Real junky foods limited to special days /occasions. I try to be balanced.
My kids school -forget it! Kids constantly rewarded with candy & soda, plus weekly goody bags from birthdays, it’s really upsetting!! My 6 year old had 7 cavities last year, not to mention all my kids are totally sugar addicted.
So many parents are bothered by this! Why can’t schools listen???

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 5:02 pm
It's interesting that OP asked if anyone dealt with this and had a good solution, and was provided with silly uneducated answers about candy and junk (was that from guilt)?. Yes, the chemicals are REALLY bad for us, especially kids. Ever watch a video on how they add chemicals to these candies? The dye free ones can be a solution, but not for cavities. My child got 7 cavities after starting school and being handed candy every day. Were all those parents or teachers paying my extremely high dental bill? No they were not. For those of you who think OP is being ridiculous, are you willing to send me a check for the three teeth my other child had to get pulled? (Their teeth were fine before school started).
I didn't think so.
If you want to give your kids garbage, go right ahead. OP and noone else was telling you how to raise your kids. But please don't give garbage to my kids also. Schools should have policies for this, and enforce them. If a child has a documented problem, like they need gum on the school bus, fine, why should that affect my kids? That's why policies are important, they can deal with every kind of kid.
I would love to hear if any parent successfully approached a school about this.
On a side note, I can't understand why teachers give out candy, isn't it hard to teach when the kids get over energetic??

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 7:16 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
It's interesting that OP asked if anyone dealt with this and had a good solution, and was provided with silly uneducated answers about candy and junk (was that from guilt)?. Yes, the chemicals are REALLY bad for us, especially kids. Ever watch a video on how they add chemicals to these candies? The dye free ones can be a solution, but not for cavities. My child got 7 cavities after starting school and being handed candy every day. Were all those parents or teachers paying my extremely high dental bill? No they were not. For those of you who think OP is being ridiculous, are you willing to send me a check for the three teeth my other child had to get pulled? (Their teeth were fine before school started).
I didn't think so.
If you want to give your kids garbage, go right ahead. OP and noone else was telling you how to raise your kids. But please don't give garbage to my kids also. Schools should have policies for this, and enforce them. If a child has a documented problem, like they need gum on the school bus, fine, why should that affect my kids? That's why policies are important, they can deal with every kind of kid.
I would love to hear if any parent successfully approached a school about this.
On a side note, I can't understand why teachers give out candy, isn't it hard to teach when the kids get over energetic??

Can't like this post enough Smile.

Can all of us moms who want to do something, work together and get to a solution?

Im sure all the moms who don't care whether their kids have candy or not, won't mind if it's better regulated and all those who do will feel better!

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:09 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Real junky foods limited to special days /occasions.

I don’t mean to pick on you - I respect that you’re trying to limit the junk. I just need to point out this sentence because it’s shch a perfect characterization of what is going on.

Look at the words. The junkiest foods are limited to the most special occasions. Does this make any sense?? You’re admitting it’s junk. The poorest quality food is reserved for special occasions?? Surely that not what was meant by a shabbas treat.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:13 pm
groovy1224 wrote:

Ur comparing apples and oranges... if those allergies weren’t AIR BORNE it wouldn’t be an issue.

Do we stop all kids from bringing cream cheese cuz someone is allergic to milk? We just watch that kids so he doesn’t eat it- teach them etc.

Peanut butter can be deadly in minutes to a child even if he didn’t ingest it:

keym

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:16 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I don’t mean to pick on you - I respect that you’re trying to limit the junk. I just need to point out this sentence because it’s shch a perfect characterization of what is going on.

Look at the words. The junkiest foods are limited to the most special occasions. Does this make any sense?? You’re admitting it’s junk. The poorest quality food is reserved for special occasions?? Surely that not what was meant by a shabbas treat.

Actually it's brought down.
Men have Simchas Yom tov with meat and wine.
Women with jewelery.
And children with toys and SWEETS.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:26 pm
keym wrote:
Actually it's brought down.
Men have Simchas Yom tov with meat and wine.
Women with jewelery.
And children with toys and SWEETS.

Yes! I’m so glad you mentioned this. Do you know what the sweets were referencing? Candied nuts. Nothing wrong with treats. And yes - TREATS are meant for special occasions. Not junk.

keym

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:33 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Yes! I’m so glad you mentioned this. Do you know what the sweets were referencing? Candied nuts. Nothing wrong with treats. And yes - TREATS are meant for special occasions. Not junk.

Actually my Rav actually holds that SWEETS is the sweets and treats of the generation. In those days it was sweetened nuts and in these days it's soda and sour sticks.
This was an actual psak halacha from my Rav. That children should know that Yom Tov we get candy and soda and know that there is a place in Yiddishkeit for all our tayvos in olam hazeh even sugar and corn syrup.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:38 pm
keym wrote:
Actually my Rav actually holds that SWEETS is the sweets and treats of the generation. In those days it was sweetened nuts and in these days it's soda and sour sticks.
This was an actual psak halacha from my Rav. That children should know that Yom Tov we get candy and soda and know that there is a place in Yiddishkeit for all our tayvos in olam hazeh even sugar and corn syrup.

So should they eat it until they get sick or with some limits?

keym

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:40 pm
southernbubby wrote:
So should they eat it until they get sick or with some limits?

Who said anything about eating it until they get sick.
Everything in moderation.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:44 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Ur comparing apples and oranges... if those allergies weren’t AIR BORNE it wouldn’t be an issue.

Do we stop all kids from bringing cream cheese cuz someone is allergic to milk? We just watch that kids so he doesn’t eat it- teach them etc.

Peanut butter can be deadly in minutes to a child even if he didn’t ingest it:

I'm not saying kids shouldn't be allowed to bring in candy, I'm not sure where you get that.
I'm saying that just like we come up with alternative lunches and snacks so as not to endanger the lives of allergic children, teachers can come up with alternative prizes so as not to damage the health and diet of the class.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics