Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Shabbos Clothes - How long to keep?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The other question is how many people replace their entire wadrobe every year?

Most people I know get a few outfits every season. Things fit different, things get ruined, things from last year they don't like. When I switch over my closet I retry everything on and ask myself if I like how it looks.

If I don't like it anymore, it goes to a gemach. If I'm not sure I have to wear it once every week for a month, and that will usually help me form my opinion.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:18 am
cm wrote:
In my OOT middle-class neighborhood, no one I know except growing children and teens. I suppose it's more common in extremely wealthy communities.

I’m from an extremely wealthy community and the only ppl that change their wardrobes every season are the poorer ones ( with cheaper clothing). Over here, richer people add items to their collections.
A lot of things get passed down from kids ( siblings, cousins, friends) as it’s good quality clothing that lasts.
So, dear OP, whatever is in excellent shape and classic, hold to them till moshchiach comes! Things that are way outdated and in not excellent condition, please don’t keep them.
An older woman has to be careful with trends, as she wants to long younger, but not ridiculous!

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 11:30 am
I probably buy 3 or 4 new outfits a year. On sale, from a mid range shop mostly. Like I will spend $30 on a dress, but sometimes more if I am desperate. (yom tov or simcha to shop for)

I still wear stuff I bought a couple of years ago, but possibly less often.

I throw out or give away stuff I haven't worn for about 3 or 4 years. (I don't do as much of that as I should but I try and cull my wardrobe once a year or so)

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 12:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sometimes I just wear the outfit once a year. I was by a kiddush recently and a women told me “I have the same dress as you but I don’t wear it anymore since I got it last year.”

Well, I could be DLZ and think that it is stuck in the back of her closet where she forgot it, but seeing it on you, wants to pull it out again.

If not, “yes, it’s a gorgeous dress, it’s a shame it’s too small on you now, maybe someday you’ll be able to wear it again.”

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 1:51 pm
Right now, I am in maternity clothes.

Some that I purchased over 7 & 8 years ago & some new.

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 1:57 pm
southernbubby wrote:
This is the beauty of getting older; that we wear what we like and not what others think that we should wear.

True, true. So liberating. Although I finally ditched those football-shouldered suits from the eighties...I don't mind being years out of date, but when the clothes are old enough to have adult children, it's probably time to say sayonara.

dankbar

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 2:04 pm
The ones that fit, you wear, you like and it's flattering is one thing, you can keep, I understand.

What about all the clothing that don't fit, but you are waiting for the time that it will fit, one day? How long to hold on to those?

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 2:06 pm
Quote:
This is the beauty of getting older; that we wear what we like and not what others think that we should wear.
100%

I have some things I haven't worn in a while. But styles come back. Sure, somewhat different so you don't look quite a la mode when you pull them out of the back of the closet.

But I do buy mostly classics, I highly doubt that I have anything so trendy that you can tel exactly when I bought it.

dankbar

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 2:07 pm
zaq wrote:
True, true. So liberating. Although I finally ditched those football-shouldered suits from the eighties...I don't mind being years out of date, but when the clothes are old enough to have adult children, it's probably time to say sayonara.

I'm over 40 now. In the 80's I was in elementary school that's 30-40 years ago!

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 2:08 pm
dankbar wrote:
The ones that fit, you wear, you like and it's flattering is one thing, you can keep, I understand.

What about all the clothing that don't fit, but you are waiting for the time that it will fit, one day? How long to hold on to those?

Know thyself. If you're a yoyo and know that they will fit next year for three weeks because they fit last year for three weeks, hold on to them. If you've been gaining steadily since your wedding 15 year ago, fuhgeddaboudit. Give them away.

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 2:10 pm
dankbar wrote:
I'm over 40 now. In the 80's I was in elementary school that's 30-40 years ago!

Bully for you. You're not the only reader on this site. I was in the working world in the eighties, and I'm not the only member who was.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 2:49 pm
dankbar wrote:

I just went through this as I have a HUGE range of sizes as well as decades. Very Happy

Get rid of anything that you are never realistically going to fit into. I am never going to be a size 2 again.

Get rid of anything that is really out of style. I got rid of all of my clothing with very padded shoulders. My hope is that some young woman will love the vintage styles the way I loved finding vintage clothing when I was a young woman.

Get rid of anything that isn't part of your lifestyle anymore. I don't work in a stuffy professional work environment anymore so I got rid of all my suits. I kept one black for for formal sad occasions. Smile

I went through all the clothing with help from my housekeeper, a friend and her mother. I gave a lot of stuff to the women as we were sorting - some of the stuff they were taking for their family. It was much easier for me to let go of the stuff knowing that other people were happy to get it and were going to use it. The rest of the stuff I donated.

Not clothing but I had a huge box of stuffed animals that had accumulated. You can't donate stuffed animals anymore because of hygiene but the thought of tossing them in the garbage was terrible. So I left them on the steps of the charity and since the guy who took them in didn't toss them immediately into the dumpster, maybe some of the workers will take them home even though they can't sell them. A lot of them were really old - I had bought some on a whim from the 1950's that had transistor radios in them.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 3:49 pm
Go to your closet with a laundry basket to fill with donation items, look at every skirt, top, and dress, and ask yourself:

1. Does it fit?
2. Is it out of style?
3. Is it in good condition?
4. Does it flatter me and bring me joy?
5. Will I actually ever wear it?

If the answer to any of the above is no, put it in the donation basket. You will feel a tremendous sense of relief when you have done this with all your clothing, and your closet is not stuffed. If you are concerned you don't have enough Shabbos clothes, daven for the means to purchase new ones, and have bitachon that now that you have made space for new clothes, Hashem will send them to you...

dankbar

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 4:07 pm
zaq wrote:
Bully for you. You're not the only reader on this site. I was in the working world in the eighties, and I'm not the only member who was.

Sorry, if you got hurt. I know you weren't a little girl then like I was. If you still fit into the clothes by 60 that you wore when you were 20, good for you. I just can't imagine today people would hold on to clothes for that long & still wear them. Maybe we all need to learn from the people from the prior generation. We live in a disposable world. People here are talking about dumping their stuff after one year of purchase.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 4:39 pm
It was my question about the suits--I seem to be closer to dankbar's age than to zaq's. I am in my upper 40's so no suits from the 80's here, but I do have nice jackets from the lower 00's. They have small built in should pads the way any suit jacket does, not the football padding of the 80's

dankbar

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 4:45 pm
I don't own any suits anymore, more casual type of jackets yes.
Gave away all my suits, couple of years ago.
I do see them selling suit jackets again though

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 5:22 pm
Suits are supposedly making a comeback in the fashion world, so it will probably cycle back into the frum world in a couple of years. But I am sure there will be just enough new takes on the design/cut/material type that the suits many of us wore 15-20 years ago will be obviously dated.

dankbar

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 5:27 pm
I did see in dept stores suit jackets, the classy ones like plaids selling again

Also the classy silk blouses with prints like chains

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 5:36 pm
I still have some clothes from 10 years ago. I typically keep 3 sizes in my closet, one if I gain 15 lbs, 1 if I lose 15 lbs , and one if I stay at current. Any more of a gain or a loss and I deserve a prize (whether a prize for losing weight or to make me feel better for gaining).

SixOfWands

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 5:38 pm
zaq wrote:

That’s a sure sign they’re coming back.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics