Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What does everyone do?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:03 pm
For those who work in offices, I find the salary is always right above the limit to be on government programs (mainly healthcare insurance). Not enough though to be able to afford private insurance. It's not worth it for me to make 35 k a year if that means I won't be on Jerseycare. (I live in Lakewood).
Are bosses willing to pay a bit off the books? Is this something that can be discussed at a job interview? I'd love to hear what others do.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:04 pm
Why risk being a criminal? Just ask to be paid less.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For those who work in offices, I find the salary is always right above the limit to be on government programs (mainly healthcare insurance). Not enough though to be able to afford private insurance. It's not worth it for me to make 35 k a year if that means I won't be on Jerseycare. (I live in Lakewood).
Are bosses willing to pay a bit off the books? Is this something that can be discussed at a job interview? I'd love to hear what others do.
[b]

That would be frauding the government.
I am not saying it is fair, right or financially feasible for you to make an income just above federal assistance, but what you asking is genevah.

teachkids

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:10 pm
Might be worth doing more part time.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:13 pm
Im in lkwd. My work gives insurance to their employees but the husbands not. But my kids are on jersey care

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:15 pm
Just to clarify, I am not interested in hearing if you think this is ok or not. You can start another thread on that if you'd like. I want to hear from others in my situation. Thanks!

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:17 pm
When I was offered a raise that would lose my baby's insurance, I knocked down my hours instead.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:17 pm
I cut my hours temporarily while my husband is in school so I can be eligible for grants.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:19 pm
35 k won't make you ineligible for jerseycare unless your husband is working as well.
No, employers in Lakewood do not generally pay off the books.
Also, around a year or two ago, some ten frum people were arrested in a highly publicized, humiliating fashion for this very reason- allegedly getting health benefits that they were ineligible for, due to being paid off the books/hiding income. They (and many others who were afraid of arrest) had to pay back the government what they owed, in addition to lawyer's fees and intense public interest. I highly suggest you avoid this path.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Just to clarify, I am not interested in hearing if you think this is ok or not. You can start another thread on that if you'd like. I want to hear from others in my situation. Thanks!

I wouldn't. And I guess you don't want to know why not.
I understand desperate times and desperate measures but please, for you own sake, don't go there. See allthingsblue.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:33 pm
I don't live in Lakewood, but I know that my siblings that live there stayed on my parents insurance until they were 26 and they put their kids on Jersey Care. It could be there's a higher income limit for kids vs adults to be eligible for Jersey Care.

shmosmom

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 7:45 pm
Problems of the middle class.... I'm in the same boat. We don't want to ask to be paid less, cuz then we feel like we'd be limiting ourselves to never ever earn a decent wage but right now insurance is just not in our budget.
Pay for private healthcare for my child.
But it's not just healthcare. It's tuition, daycare, it's everything.
Don't qualify for any gov help or programs, can't pay full easily.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:17 pm
I live in Lakewood and was in the same situation.
Don’t ask to be paid less, then you will never be able to get a raise and get out of this lower middle class rut. And never get paid off the books - not worth it.
You can get decent insurance thru Obamacare...there will definitely be deductibles but its not as bad as private insurance. When you are pregnant you might be eligible for Jersey care and that will help for when you have appointments and bloodwork often.
Kids are eligible for Jersey care with incomes much higher than 35k so no need to worry about that.

keym

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:45 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
I live in Lakewood and was in the same situation.
Don’t ask to be paid less, then you will never be able to get a raise and get out of this lower middle class rut. And never get paid off the books - not worth it.
You can get decent insurance thru Obamacare...there will definitely be deductibles but its not as bad as private insurance. When you are pregnant you might be eligible for Jersey care and that will help for when you have appointments and bloodwork often.
Kids are eligible for Jersey care with incomes much higher than 35k so no need to worry about that.

Totally agree with this.
In a family of 7 (5 kids) the kids get Jersey are with no copays or deductibles up to around 60k a year. And up until 100k a year with small monthly deductibles and copays.
And a pregnancy counts as another child and pregnant mom is eligible like the kids.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:54 pm
I really appreciate the responses. I only have one child, so the limit is much less. For those saying that only their kids are on Jerseycare - how does that work? Why would they be eligible and not you?

ddmom

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:58 pm
Because income limits are not the same for adults and children to be eligible!

Last edited by ddmom on Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 8:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I really appreciate the responses. I only have one child, so the limit is much less. For those saying that only their kids are on Jerseycare - how does that work? Why would they be eligible and not you?

http://www.njfamilycare.org/income.aspx

It's more of a priority to cover children, so they can be covered at higher thresholds.

BTDT

keym

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:01 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
http://www.njfamilycare.org/income.aspx

It's more of a priority to cover children, so they can be covered at higher thresholds.

BTDT

And most children need frequent Drs appointments. Multiple well visits and vaccinations, not feeling well, etc.
It can really add up.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:10 pm
I've been in this situation - live in Lakewood too. It can get frustrating when you look around and it seems like everyone is on programs and you're not. OP, the only way out of this rut (and as glorious as it looks now, it IS a rut!) is through it. If you don't start now, you'll never get out of this. My advice? Do it!

Yes, insurance is a fortune, but like others said your kids will be covered for a long time even when you start making more and in the beginning Obamacare offers nice subsidies.

Hatzlacha!

(Oh, and don't get the cheating route - nothing built on sheker can stand.)

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Sep 08 2019, 9:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I’m pregnant with my first so that puts us in the same family size according to the income guidelines. I am eligible now that I’m pregnant, making around 45k. I will be kicked off a month after the baby, but my baby will be able to stay on because the income guidelines are different for children than they are for adults.
Insurance thru the marketplace is really not that bad. Yes, you will have to pay some bills but if you are healthy on a whole you can get a plan with pretty decent premiums and you won’t end up with outrageous expenses.
I have a separate checking account that I use for medical expenses, I build it up like a savings account and I keep a chunk of $ there for the unexpected bill (such as when dh got stitches for $1500 Sad ) Shouldn’t happen too often though!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics