Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Beginning chapter books
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:11 am
Could you please share your children's favorite beginner chapter books? Preferably ones that would be available from a public library.

Thanks.

srbmom

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:22 am
Boy or girl?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:49 am
Mo Willems. Not quite chapter books but they are available in anthologies. You can read 300 pages in one sitting ;-D
Frog and Toad (I LOVE the Cookies story. I would love to wallpaper a wall of my kitchen with that story.)
There are others on the tip of my brain, but I'm remembering some of my favorite picture books vs. chapter books. Question: Is this for you to read aloud or for your child to read?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:05 am
None of my kids read when they were younger. I always read to them though. Now my 9 and 11 year old started reading and chapter books too, but what got them started were graphic novels. I know that wasn't what you asked, but an idea.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:10 am
My granddaughter loves the Magic Treehouse series — they're fiction, educational (history) and there are over 100 of them. 2nd grade reading level.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:12 am
I think graphic novels are great fun but a steady diet isn't great. Also, it's considered a given that the best readers are often read to in the pre-reading stage and graphic novels don't lend themselves to be read aloud.
Pictures make books more fun. For early readers they also help with decoding in that they can be part of telling the story.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:13 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Mo Willems. Not quite chapter books but they are available in anthologies. You can read 300 pages in one sitting ;-D
Frog and Toad (I LOVE the Cookies story. I would love to wallpaper a wall of my kitchen with that story.)
There are others on the tip of my brain, but I'm remembering some of my favorite picture books vs. chapter books. Question: Is this for you to read aloud or for your child to read?

I am a huge fan of Mo Willems! It’s a good thing because my kids love them too and I need to read them A LOT.

What about Junie B Jones or Cam Jansen? Nate the Great?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:21 am
tigerwife wrote:
I am a huge fan of Mo Willems! It’s a good thing because my kids love them too and I need to read them A LOT.

So they're for established readers. (So are Magic Treehouse. And A-Z.) Maybe end of first grade but JBJ I'd say 2nd for sure.
There are junior Cam Jensen books, and David Adler has some new early reader series, including one by a frum imprint called Jelly Eli Z.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:28 am
My kids love the The Boxcar Children.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:34 am
Theses are some series my kids love --
Magic School Bus (chapter books)
Here's Hank (not Hank Zipzer series - that's for older kids)
Reddy Freddy
My Weird School
The "Who Is/Was" books

yo'ma

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 10:50 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I think graphic novels are great fun but a steady diet isn't great. Also, it's considered a given that the best readers are often read to in the pre-reading stage and graphic novels don't lend themselves to be read aloud.
Pictures make books more fun. For early readers they also help with decoding in that they can be part of telling the story.

They actually would never have started if they didn't start with graphic novels. Now they read chapter books.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:10 am
srbmom wrote:
Boy or girl?

Either. Thanks to everyone who has shared so far.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:12 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Question: Is this for you to read aloud or for your child to read?

For the child to read alone. Looking for books that will hold a child's interest, but not overwhelm.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:14 am
I loved books by Beverly Cleary (Ramona) and Carolyn Hayward (Betsy).

Also All of a Kind Family. And Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.

These are about third grade level with Carolyn Hayward being the easiest.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:16 am
tigerwife wrote:

I don't approve of Junie B Jones - she models disrespect and bad grammar.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:17 am
Little House series and the Molly Moon series. Great for kids, but not mind-numbing for adults. As they get older, Lemony Snicket is fantastic.

When DD was old enough for me to read chapter books for her, I used a lot of fun voices. Pretty soon she was so hooked, that she couldn't wait for reading time, and took over reading on her own. She said I was "too slow"!

She really loved the Magic Treehouse series, and also the Rainbow Fairies series. If you have a girl, Rainbow Fairies is a great starter. Lots of emphasis on cooperation, good middos, and nothing really scary.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:52 am
yo'ma wrote:
They actually would never have started if they didn't start with graphic novels. Now they read chapter books.

Good for you! I've just seen kids who only find graphic novels are a gateway to...more graphic novels, exclusively.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:55 am
#BestBubby wrote:
I don't approve of Junie B Jones - she models disrespect and bad grammar.

Totally hear you. But by the time my kids read them, in 3rd grade, maybe 2nd, they were old enough to laugh at her and know she was no role model. (We still sometimes say, Run, run like the wind, Helen!)

And if we're going to go there, a lot of the Beverly Cleary books feature obnoxious bratty kids and sibling fighting, and way too many stupids and shut ups for my liking.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 12:08 pm
I’m finding my kids can’t relate to a lot of the traditional chapter books. My kids are really super sheltered and still can’t relate to life 20-30 years ago. It’s a whole different world. In some ways life 100 years ago is more relatable.
Does anyone know what I mean?

perquacky

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 1:10 pm
The Henry and Mudge series. Sweet and simple. And there are many books in the series.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics