Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Need help finding a Yeshivah for my 17 year old son ASAP
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:43 am
I desperately need help finding a yeshivah for my son in Lakewood. My son graduated high school last year. It was a small yeshivah for boys who were on a lower level. I need the same type of yeshivah in Lakewood. Small, lower level, on the heimish side ( but doesn't have to be). If anyone has any leads please let me know. Thanks in advance.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 1:37 pm
Asking in all seriousness, as I am really looking to learn and understand communities different than my own.
(No disrespect intended and I apologize in advance if someone takes my question the wrong way)

If he graduated from HS, and he is not a huge/high level learner, why does it not make sense for him to get a job or learn a trade?

I was under the impression that Kollel/advanced learning was to groom the next gedoli hador, Rabbis, and poskim.

happy12

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 1:44 pm
I'll give you the one word answer----Shidduchim

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 1:48 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Asking in all seriousness, as I am really looking to learn and understand communities different than my own.
(No disrespect intended and I apologize in advance if someone takes my question the wrong way)

If he graduated from HS, and he is not a huge/high level learner, why does it not make sense for him to get a job or learn a trade?

I was under the impression that Kollel/advanced learning was to groom the next gedoli hador, Rabbis, and poskim.

My son wants to learn we support him in doing whatever he wants. Just because he is not a "typical" learner doesn't mean he cannot learn nor does he not want to learn. He chooses to learn we do not force him into doing anything he does not want to. Since when do boys who are not a a high level cannot learn?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 1:50 pm
happy12 wrote:
I'll give you the one word answer----Shidduchim

Wow this is definitely not the reason, is this what you think about?

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 1:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My son wants to learn we support him in doing whatever he wants. Just because he is not a "typical" learner doesn't mean he cannot learn nor does he not want to learn. He chooses to learn we do not force him into doing anything he does not want to. Since when do boys who are not a a high level cannot learn?

Very well said!

Please call R’ Strauss. He is an expert in recommending yeshivas. Do you need his contact info?
Also was anyone from last year able to help recommend any place?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 1:55 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Very well said!

Please call R’ Strauss. He is an expert in recommending yeshivas. Do you need his contact info?
Also was anyone from last year able to help recommend any place?

Please I would love to have his contact information. Thank you so much!

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:02 pm
Noam Hatorah. It's a Yeshiva Gedolah. Most bachurim from a heimish backround.
I think contact R' betzalel Goldstein or R' Mendy Gelbwachs.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:05 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Noam Hatorah. It's a Yeshiva Gedolah. Most bachurim from a heimish backround.
I think contact R' betzalel Goldstein or R' Mendy Gelbwachs.

Thank you! Will definitely look into it.

cbsp

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:08 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

Torah tzivah lanu Moshe morashah kehillas Ya'akov. Torah learning is for the sake of itself, it's our yerushah.

Kollel was never about grooming the next gadol hador, Rabbanim and poskim.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:37 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:

So that he can remain dysfunctional but part of his culture
There are two choices here
Go to trade school and get a career so he can have a normal productive life albeit in a more modern community
Be warehoused somewhere and remain yeshivish superficially and hopefully marry and be part of his family's weltanschauungen

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:43 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
So that he can remain dysfunctional but part of his culture
There are two choices here
Go to trade school and get a career so he can have a normal productive life albeit in a more modern community
Be warehoused somewhere and remain yeshivish superficially and hopefully marry and be part of his family's weltanschauungen

It's sounds like you need a bit of help

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:50 pm
Just because her son is on a lower level doesnt mean he cant learn. He just needs to be in the right place.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:52 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Just because her son is on a lower level doesnt mean he cant learn. He just needs to be in the right place.

I agree ,why are people saying it's a bad thing that he wants to learn?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:53 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:

Thank you! This is exactly what I am trying to say!

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Wow!!
My children would love to move in with you. We are not such nice parents.

My daughter graduated HS this past June as well, but she had to get a summer job (her money for the future, but needs to learn the value). Currently she is in Sem. but she needed to research schools and programs, along with colleges and present us with a solid credit earning/career developing plan.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:54 pm
A lot of boys want to stay in the yeshiva system even if they are not excellent learners because of the social aspect as well as others. Even if he plans to go to work eventually he doesnt need the money now so why not hold off till 20 years old or so?

oneofakind

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:58 pm
Rabbi Zev Farkas has a yeshiva that might be suitable.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 2:59 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
A lot of boys want to stay in the yeshiva system even if they are not excellent learners because of the social aspect as well as others. Even if he plans to go to work eventually he doesnt need the money now so why not hold off till 20 years old or so?

Exactly! My son is only 17. He did express wanting to work in a few years and that is totally okay! Right now he wants to still be in yeshiva and be around other boys his own age.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 3:02 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:

Or, 30 or 40...

And then ask for charity... Talking from life-experience.
Sorry to rain on everyone's parade.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics