Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
House large enough?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:42 pm
Find out utility costs for the prospective houses. They will probably be quite high and you want to factor that in.

dankbar

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 9:44 pm
I think any house larger than 3000 sq feet would be hard to clean & maintain

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:53 pm
wow, 4000 sq ft is huge!
our house is 1600 sq ft, we are a family of 9. Its a bit of a squish. When there were 7 of us, we fit in just perfectly.
I would love a house size of 2500 sq ft!
good luck OP!

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Sep 09 2019, 11:58 pm
Op, just let us know which one you're taking. I'll happily take the other one!

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 12:54 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Op, just let us know which one you're taking. I'll happily take the other one!

Lol! Maybe me too! We’re 6 ppl in roughly 700 something square feet

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 1:01 am
gamzehyaavor wrote:
Lol! Maybe me too! We’re 6 ppl in roughly 700 something square feet

We need to get together and LEAVE overcrowded, overpriced NY. Let's do it together! I already am Zillow's best friend and have dream homes in nearly every state Wink Just need some frum neighbors for carpool now Wink

flower2

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:35 am
Both are good size houses. Layout makes a huge difference
If the layout works on the smaller one I would go for that cause I love a big fenced backyard for kids
If not, the bigger one

ven

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:43 am
I vote for wyoming , if you see the prices there and the space wow!

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 8:55 am
dankbar wrote:
I think any house larger than 3000 sq feet would be hard to clean & maintain

Not really. If you can afford the house, you can afford the upkeep.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:07 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have no frame of reference as I don't live in the USA.
Is 4000square ft considered a large house for a suburban area outside of NY? Large enough to comfortably suit a family with six children?

Either 4000square feet with a large backyard, or 5000square feet with a smaller yard -- which would you choose (for an 8-person family with young children)?

It's very large. But more important than just size; how many bedrooms & bathrooms? How many "other" rooms (playroom, living room, family room, office, etc and some with doors) for people to have their own space?

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:09 am
both sound great -- id look at layout, location in terms of shul, neighborhood, and any other specific details to each house as it pertains to your family
hatzlocha

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:25 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

That is not necessarily true. In many areas big houses are way less expensive than small houses in the metropolitan areas, but upkeep may be similar. So you can easily afford a mortgage on a normal income for a bigger house than you would get in the big cities, but cleaning help doesn't go down (it might be even higher as fewer ppl are available) and utilities are also higher.

dankbar

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:25 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

Not necessarily. depends on location. Identical 1400 sq feet apt that I have, my neighbor just sold for $950, 000 because it's Brooklyn. (It's considered 1500 sq ft including common area like elevator, hallway, staircase in bldg. )

A relative of mine also sold same size apt, same area, for same price. She went to Upstate, suburban area & got Double size apt + huge property (I think 1/2 acre) for almost half price.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:34 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
That is not necessarily true. In many areas big houses are way less expensive than small houses in the metropolitan areas, but upkeep may be similar. So you can easily afford a mortgage on a normal income for a bigger house than you would get in the big cities, but cleaning help doesn't go down (it might be even higher as fewer ppl are available) and utilities are also higher.

If you can't afford the upkeep, you can't afford the house. Your point about utilities is also not necessarily true. A bigger house can be better built (energy efficient) because the owners can afford this and have a significantly lower utility Bill's. My utility bills are less than my neighbor's who has a home a quarter the size of mine.

Cleaning help is cheaper in ther suburbs where the bigger houses are generally located.

amother
White

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:34 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

Sure - if by "affording house" you've included upkeep in your calculations of what the house is going to cost to carry.

dankbar

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:38 am
I see we crossposted on same topic.

In city they sold condo living with another 15 people in same house. Few flights up. No private yards or anything. No parking space etc.
In Upstate got huge private house & property. With basement. with double garage for parking. With beautiful maintained garden. Plus 3 patios.
In end because of exchange, it's a zero mortgage for her, because with double money she got, she was able to repay her entire mortgage that she still owed for her first apt + pay her new one entirely without taking out a mortgage, & still stay with extra change ( moola) in her pocket.
Both of them, their first apt was bought by parents for them, so they didn't shell out for down payment & only needed to pay the mortgage payments which was minimal accordingly, because they were bought 15 yrs ago, where price was only 300k instead of 9 that they sold it now for.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:43 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Sure - if by "affording house" you've included upkeep in your calculations of what the house is going to cost to carry.

Then if you don't include upkeep, that's a foolish thing. It means you can't afford it.

Would you buy a car with your last penny and not afford insurance, license, maintenance, and gas?

What good is a car you can't drive or a house too expensive too maintain? You are wasting money in both cases.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:57 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
If you can't afford the upkeep, you can't afford the house.

Of course.
Quote:
Your point about utilities is also not necessarily true. A bigger house can be better built (energy efficient) because the owners can afford this and have a significantly lower utility Bill's. My utility bills are less than my neighbor's who has a home a quarter the size of mine.

Also true, which is why I suggested upthread that OP check into utility costs for both houses she is looking at to see if there is a price difference. But nevertheless, a 4,000 q ft house typically will cost more to heat and cool than a 1,000 sq ft house. Not always, but many times.
Quote:

Cleaning help is cheaper in ther suburbs where the bigger houses are generally located.
I am not sure on what basis your assumption is. On the East Coast, I know many people who are paying dirt cheap rates for cleaning help because there are a lot of people who moved to America and struggle to make ends meet and will work for cheap, and they will find plenty of work to keep them busy. In other locations, there are not as many immigrants willing to work for lower rates. Because the supply and demand ratio is skewed, the cleaners can ask for -- and receive -- more.
If you are talking about professionally cleaning services, I have no clue what going prices are anywhere.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:59 am
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
If you can't afford the upkeep, you can't afford the house. Your point about utilities is also not necessarily true. A bigger house can be better built (energy efficient) because the owners can afford this and have a significantly lower utility Bill's. My utility bills are less than my neighbor's who has a home a quarter the size of mine.

Both points are not necessarily true at all. Generally much bigger houses do have higher utility bills. And cleaning help in the suburbs is much more expensive when compared to Brooklyn for example.

dankbar

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:10 am
How much is cleaning help per hr in Upstate?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating