Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
ADHD son stealing
Previous  1  2

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 5:01 am
I am in the same situation. All my food even cookies, pretzels etc are locked up in a room. whenever he finds the key he is there in a minute. I used to buy things to give my kids to school and when I wanted to prepare their snacks in the morning, I couldn't find the things I bought and wondered where it was only to find the empty bags under his mattress or under bed.
I used to tell my husband everything until I realized that he cant handle so much and looses his temper faster than me and it;s not worth getting my husband so worked up about something we cannot change.

I found a friend who also has son like that and we share these things with each other, as I just feel I need to share it with someone but my husband gets too worked up every time.

I also tried EVERYTHING already, from reward to money to chart....

I often thought about getting a punching bag

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 10:23 am
Stealing is extremely exciting. It's often not about what's getting stolen, but the adrenaline rush of possibly getting caught. Earning your own money isn't anywhere nearly as fun.

Regarding food, have any of you considered that your child might have an eating disorder? What you are describing sounds very above and beyond the typical child's sweet tooth.

If it were my child, I would print up flyers with my child's picture, and pass them out to every store and quick shop in the area, telling them "Please do not sell to this child, and watch them because they may steal from you."

It' sounds extremely harsh and shaming, but something has to stop. Your child needs to know that you are not messing around with law breaking, and that shop owners have rights too.

Your child also needs to know that their health is important to you, and it's your job to make sure that they grow up healthy. Childhood obesity and diabetes is no joke.

Oh, and stop buying nosh! Unless you plan on wearing the key around your neck 24/7, just don't have it in the house.

Learn how to make yummy desserts with fresh fruit and just a tiny bit of sugar. Get a premade pie crust, a bunch of apples or strawberries, and you're all set to go.

amother
Aubergine

Post Mon, Nov 11 2019, 3:30 pm
Do you have an ADHD child? From your Post it does not sound like it!!!

And by the way I DO NOT buy sweets, and he steals cookies, prezels crackers aswell
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)