Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Warsaw poland
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Batsheva1

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 12:11 am
I was in Poland in August (last year)so can't speak for January, but I'm guessing it's like N.Y. The Polin Museum documents the thousand-year history of Polish Jewry. You can spend many hours there. It's an excellent museum! Very well done, but I don't see a child under 12 or 13 appreciating it. My opinion, Jewish Poland is not for young children. They probably have other things for kids to do, just like anywhere else. Tripadvisor is great and will tell you the top things to do and see. Good luck.

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 12:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Im not for sure doing this, I just want to make an educated decision. I personally not so excited about going to Israel so I wanted to include something on the way that I would enjoy.

Also my eldest is 8.5 a boy, he would definitely enjoy it, my daughter will be 6 then and she will be fine. Just not so sure about my 3 yo.
Now as I am writing this, this trip is in Jan.. Will it be freezing there at that time?

I really appreciate all of your help!

You're not excited about going to Eretz Yisrael, so you thought you'd make up for it by enjoying yourself... in *Poland* (in January!) with 3 little kids?

Scratching Head

To each his own...

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 1:55 am
It's bone cold in the winter, even with many layers.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 4:58 am
It's not particularly safe to be visibly Jewish there. It hasn't been for quite a while. This is just the most current attack:

https://www.jpost.com/Diaspora.....01017

You can read it at the site. I won't post the article here, because the description is disturbing and graphic. Two boys ended up in the hospital.

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 5:07 am
ra_mom wrote:
some people don't want to spend frivolous time on blood soaked soil either.

Well I’ve been in Kiev for the past two months. Doing all sorts of “frivolous” and non-frivolous things. Or should I spend *all* my time at Babiy Yar?

All soil is blood-soaked, and everywhere people live and have ordinary lives.

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 5:17 am
I would avoid it because of the cold. Although maybe there are good winter sports.

South of Europe will be less cold at that time of year.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 6:05 am
Raisin wrote:
People were taken to concentration camps in Paris too. Doesn't stop people enjoying Eurodisney.

I still dont think it is appropriate for kids to have amusement park memories from Poland.

Poland is a symbol of Eastern European Jewry that was destroyed in the Holocaust,more than any other place.

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 6:25 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I still dont think it is appropriate for kids to have amusement park memories from Poland.

Poland is a symbol of Eastern European Jewry that was destroyed in the Holocaust,more than any other place.

WHY? Why more than any other place? Why more than Ukraine, Belarus, or Lithuania? Do you even know what happened there? *There are hardly any Jews left in Vilnius, even today.*

And why are Eastern European Jews more important than other Shoah victims? Over 90% of Dutch Jews were killed. Imagine that. Almost all. The Netherlands didn’t save their Jews at all (unlike the heroic Resistance of Denmark).

Again, France... do the words Vel D’Hiv ring a bell? The Petain government? The collaborators? “Collabo” is an actual term that exists in French, that’s how widespread it was. And nobody minds, everyone happily goes to EuroDisney.

The Shoah doesn’t need “symbols.” The reality is unimaginable enough. Everywhere, not just in one country.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:28 am
ra_mom wrote:
I think PinkFridge means why visit an amusement park in Poland? Waste of an opportunity to see the old country and some people don't want to spend frivolous time on blood soaked soil either.

This.
Sorry, Sequoia, I should have been clearer.
For a Jew, this is not what Poland means. I appreciate that in some of these countries there are revitalized Jewish communities. If I was living there, and I wanted to take my kids to an amusement park, I would davka travel somewhere else.
Not to mention that OP doesn't have much time.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:29 am
Raisin wrote:
People were taken to concentration camps in Paris too. Doesn't stop people enjoying Eurodisney.

People were also saved in France.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ty very helpful
Not sure what to search for on trip advisor, like just look for activities in the area?

Also what is umshlagplatz? And how long do you spend at polin museum?, What's there? Is it Scary? Appropriate for kids?

Im not for sure doing this, I just want to make an educated decision. I personally not so excited about going to Israel so I wanted to include something on the way that I would enjoy.

Also my eldest is 8.5 a boy, he would definitely enjoy it, my daughter will be 6 then and she will be fine. Just not so sure about my 3 yo.
Now as I am writing this, this trip is in Jan.. Will it be freezing there at that time?

I really appreciate all of your help!

I am sorry. I wish you menucha and simcha while you're there and that whatever stresses you anticipate that are clouding your excitement be minimal/non-existent.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:32 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My grandfather who just passed away is from Poland, and I really like history
Hope I'm being clear

I'm so sorry. Losing a grandparent is not easy, at any age.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:34 am
DrMom wrote:
You're not excited about going to Eretz Yisrael, so you thought you'd make up for it by enjoying yourself... in *Poland* (in January!) with 3 little kids?

Scratching Head

To each his own...

Dr. Mom, I'm trying to read between the lines myself. There's obviously a lot going on.
I definitely appreciate how someone with a passion for history would find Poland a satisfying visit, particularly if she's never been.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:40 am
sequoia wrote:
Well I’ve been in Kiev for the past two months. Doing all sorts of “frivolous” and non-frivolous things. Or should I spend *all* my time at Babiy Yar?

All soil is blood-soaked, and everywhere people live and have ordinary lives.

I'm really trying to organize my thoughts. Because even before opening this page I predicted you'd write something like this.

Imagine an outsider looking at the Ukraine. Thinking yes, of Babi Yar, perhaps earlier history, like great-grandparents who got out earlier but only because late 19th century pogroms were a pretty big incentive. Seguing into WWII, the Iron Curtain...It's not a place we think of as a place for every day living. Every day vibrant Jewish living to boot. It's a place to reflect.
You grew up there, in calmer times, and there's the principle of "chein hamakom al yoshveha," people have a special affinity for their hometowns. I think we can appreciate that, even while we process it differently.

I have a good friend who spent the summer in Ukraine about 25 years ago. What she said was, there was natural beauty, and the people were wonderful too. They had nothing and they shared it gladly. (She really wanted to send me a postcard but while she had no problem buying postcards, there were no stamps to be had.) You are a lovely ambassador for the historical richness and depth of the people.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:44 am
sequoia wrote:
WHY? Why more than any other place? Why more than Ukraine, Belarus, or Lithuania? Do you even know what happened there? *There are hardly any Jews left in Vilnius, even today.*

And why are Eastern European Jews more important than other Shoah victims? Over 90% of Dutch Jews were killed. Imagine that. Almost all. The Netherlands didn’t save their Jews at all (unlike the heroic Resistance of Denmark).

Again, France... do the words Vel D’Hiv ring a bell? The Petain government? The collaborators? “Collabo” is an actual term that exists in French, that’s how widespread it was. And nobody minds, everyone happily goes to EuroDisney.

The Shoah doesn’t need “symbols.” The reality is unimaginable enough. Everywhere, not just in one country.

France has continually had Jewish communities. We don't think of France the same way as Eastern Europe, and yes, for some people some western countries too.
If you live in a place, you'll do normal things. If you're a visitor with limited time, you might try to get to what you consider the essence of a place, not what can I do here that I could do elsewhere.

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:42 am
PinkFridge wrote:

I have a good friend who spent the summer in Ukraine about 25 years ago. What she said was, there was natural beauty, and the people were wonderful too. They had nothing and they shared it gladly. (She really wanted to send me a postcard but while she had no problem buying postcards, there were no stamps to be had.) You are a lovely ambassador for the historical richness and depth of the people.

I didn’t grow up there, I grew up in America. I just like visiting.

25 years ago was obviously very different.

Today many people are in IT and are very well off.

But I can’t dispel every stereotype.

My point is, everyone should do what interests them on holiday. There’s nothing particularly evil about an amusement park in Poland, or an opera in Croatia (they collaborated with the Nazis too), or a beach here in Kiev.

Whither I shall take myself before it gets dark.

Ruchel, your turn.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:52 am
sequoia wrote:
I didn’t grow up there, I grew up in America. I just like visiting.

25 years ago was obviously very different.

Today many people are in IT and are very well off.

But I can’t dispel every stereotype.

My point is, everyone should do what interests them on holiday. There’s nothing particularly evil about an amusement park in Poland, or an opera in Croatia (they collaborated with the Nazis too), or a beach here in Kiev.

Whither I shall take myself before it gets dark.

Ruchel, your turn.

I got the impression you spent some of your formative years there.
My point in referencing 25 years ago was that it gave me insight into how people could view Ukraine favorably. I hope that financial growth hasn't changed the warmth my friend encountered.

Forgive me for thinking that a Jew, especially one with a sensitivity to history, who would choose to spend a precious few hours in Poland on something superficial and touristy is a bit...shallow.

Now our OP is for some reason finding going to EY stressful. And she'll have young kids with her. Perhaps it will energize her to have a stopover that her kids find fun. Under those circumstances, I understand doing whatever it would take to stay sane :wink I think though that our OP would love to find something historically meaningful that would somehow appeal to her kids. Whether she's looking for a unicorn or not, I get that. But I still stand by everything I've written.

Last edited by PinkFridge on Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:58 am
And PF, I am as American as you.

Sorry OP I can’t be helpful — don’t know Warsaw at all. Krakow is nice.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:18 am
sequoia wrote:
And PF, I am as American as you.

Sorry OP I can’t be helpful — don’t know Warsaw at all. Krakow is nice.

And even if you weren't born here, I wouldn't impugn your American cred. (My family's been here for a few generations but we're not exactly DAR.)

ggdm

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 1:25 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
People were also saved in France.
People were saved in Poland as well. Lots of rightous among the people in Yad vaShem are Polish.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics