Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
S/o I miss cholov stam!
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:04 pm
Reading the other thread made me realize how much I miss cholov stam! I always ate it before marriage and my husband is strictly cholov Yisroel and doesn’t want to change. I don’t appreciate it so I get upset that we always have to pack so much food whenever we go out and can’t just eat from any stores that have cholov Yisroel...and can’t get cheaper dairy things!

Simple1

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:27 pm
I find more and more OU parve products these days - specifically in the healthy snacks department, because of the higher demand for vegan products.

I do really miss cheddar crackers- please heimish companies - can you come up with a CY version please? (I grew up in a CY home, but my father wasn't strict with us personally eating, so I occasionally had OU-D as a kid).

Truth is, better for my weight to have fewer foods available.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 9:29 pm
When I first started keeping CY I mourned M&Ms and Ben & Jerry's. Not anymore. It's really garbage food anyhow.
I will say that the quality of CY cheeses, at least in my part of the world, is certainly lacking. But then maybe that's all kosher cheeses in general. I grew up in a sort of kosher but not so strictly so home and my mother would buy pretty much any sort of cheese. I remember going into cheese stores and the smells of different cheeses were so distinct and aromatic. The cheese we get is all similar and plastic-like. Bleh.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Reading the other thread made me realize how much I miss cholov stam! I always ate it before marriage and my husband is strictly cholov Yisroel and doesn’t want to change. I don’t appreciate it so I get upset that we always have to pack so much food whenever we go out and can’t just eat from any stores that have cholov Yisroel...and can’t get cheaper dairy things!

your right it's not easy to be a Jew, that's one of our challenges in our life, we don't have to appreciate it, the harder it is the bigger the schar will be.

that's the beauty of being Jewish, you need to believe in it you don't have to feel it.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:09 pm
I miss Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Also Oh Henry and Baby Ruth.

There are cholov yisroel candy bars, but they are not as good.
And no peanut butter cups. Sigh.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:10 pm
I hear ya! Also switched when I got married.

A lot of the easy snacks are cholov Stam. I miss my Quaker granola bars and quest and protein bars.
I haven't yet found cottage cheese that compares to Daisy.

EsaEinai

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 10:13 pm
#BestBubby wrote:

Justin’s dark chocolate peanut butter cups are dairy equipment. They’re amazinggggg

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:00 pm
Now I wish I didn't eat fleishichs for dinner!!!

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:04 pm
EsaEinai wrote:
Justin’s dark chocolate peanut butter cups are dairy equipment. They’re amazinggggg

Sorry but nothing compares to Reese’s.

urban gypsy

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:07 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Truth is, better for my weight to have fewer foods available.

I completely agree! I can’t imagine just walking into any store and buying (basically) whatever I want! Nearly everything is OU these days Baruch HaShem

That said, Snickers bars are my “Rosebud”

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:10 pm
Why did the other thread disappear?

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Sep 10 2019, 11:11 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I hear ya! Also switched when I got married.

A lot of the easy snacks are cholov Stam. I miss my Quaker granola bars and quest and protein bars.
I haven't yet found cottage cheese that compares to Daisy.

I don't like cottage cheese but a lot of my non kosher keeping friends actually eat jand j

out-of-towner

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 12:01 am
#BestBubby wrote:

Pashkez recently came out with mini peanut Butter cups. They aren't Reese's but they are pretty good!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 12:06 am
No dairy equipment by us - we just go straight to the source like before Reese’s cups and dip chocolate into peanut butter Smile deeelish

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 4:35 am
When I was married DH kept strict CY, but because I'm American, he said that OU-D was fine for me, as long as I kept it out of the house, or plainly labeled. I thought that was a really reasonable compromise. I was actually impressed (and most of you know how I feel about my ex, but this time he did the right thing.)

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 6:20 am
andrea levy wrote:
I don't like cottage cheese but a lot of my non kosher keeping friends actually eat jand j

Thanks! I'll check it out!

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 6:48 am
out-of-towner wrote:
Pashkez recently came out with mini peanut Butter cups. They aren't Reese's but they are pretty good!

Reese’s was my THING. Man, nothing compares. The Pashkez is pretty good and scratches the itch.

CY chocolate and products in general have come a Long way both in quality and in cost in the past 10 years or so but I still have a list of things I miss and don’t understand why nobody has stepped up to the plate.

Boxed macaroni and cheese - so bummed when Old City Cafe went under. Hello Wacky Mac!! I miss that stuff like nobody’s business.

M&Ms. Lentils don't do it for me. They are very expensive and not at all the same.

Like somebody else mentioned, cheese crackers! Although CY cheese crackers I imagine would be very expensive and would come nowhere close to Cheezits.

Ice cream at a reasonable price. Ice cream at the mall.

Half-and-half it doesn’t go bad if you look at it wrong.

zohar

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 6:49 am
#BestBubby wrote:

So I never ate cholov Stam, but when I was a young child, there was a cholov Yisroel version of peanut butter cups. So this is the only cholov Stam product that I craved. In the last few months, Paskez came out with a product called "Solos" . They are like mini bite size peanut butter cups. It's really good, but I can't compare them to the Reese's products because I never tasted them. I think they are also still working on quality control, because I sometimes come across packages where the chocolate to peanut butter ratio is too high, but it has gotten better.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 6:54 am
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
When I first started keeping CY I mourned M&Ms and Ben & Jerry's. Not anymore. It's really garbage food anyhow.
I will say that the quality of CY cheeses, at least in my part of the world, is certainly lacking. But then maybe that's all kosher cheeses in general. I grew up in a sort of kosher but not so strictly so home and my mother would buy pretty much any sort of cheese. I remember going into cheese stores and the smells of different cheeses were so distinct and aromatic. The cheese we get is all similar and plastic-like. Bleh.

Kosher chalav yisrael cheese in the UK and Europe is really way better then in the US. I get real parmesan from Italy, cheddar, red leicester and double gloucester from the UK (chevington brand), and brie and camambert from france. The only thing we can't get is cheese strings. (except at expensive prices for imports from the US)

When I go to the USA I always bring english cheese as a gift because american cheese is so inferior.

little neshamala

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 7:41 am
zohar wrote:
So I never ate cholov Stam, but when I was a young child, there was a cholov Yisroel version of peanut butter cups. So this is the only cholov Stam product that I craved. In the last few months, Paskez came out with a product called "Solos" . They are like mini bite size peanut butter cups. It's really good, but I can't compare them to the Reese's products because I never tasted them. I think they are also still working on quality control, because I sometimes come across packages where the chocolate to peanut butter ratio is too high, but it has gotten better.

I was so excited when the paskez solos came out, I quick bought a bag and BUMMER! Theyre good, but if you're compairing to reeses, not even close.

We need a good CY alternative to reeses peanut butter cups, donuts (not the typical jelly and custard. I mean like dunkin donuts variety.), and better flavors of ice cream!!! So sad that I prefer ben and jerrys non dairy ice cream to all the boring flavors of CY ice cream.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics