Home

No attack on the constitution here
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic       Forum -> In the News -> Politics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Amarante




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 8:20 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I don't remember the precise nusach of the deplorable quote. But I do remember getting the strong impression that she was calling all Trump voters deplorable. Not 50% of the voters but 50% of Americans.
The deplorable quote is not why I didn't vote for her, so if I got it wrong, it didn't have any practical impact.


Trump's Presidency has shown her insight to be accurate although one can quibble about exact percentages.

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

She said the other half of Trump’s supporters “feel that the government has let them down” and are “desperate for change.”
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 8:24 am
SixOfWands wrote:

I still don't get how anyone could say "I cannot vote for anyone who calls racists 'deplorable.' I'll vote for the guy who calls his fellow Republicans things like 'Lyin' Ted' or 'Low Energy Jeb' or 'Little Marco.' Who calls his political opponents 'Crooked' and calls women '"Fat.' Who says that Latino judges can't rule fairly, says Mexicans are rapists, and mocks differently abled reporters. That's much more civil discourse."


Beats me as well.
All things equal and this is the tipping point?

There's a great Bizarro cartoon of a guy who finds himself at an intersection with signs and by just standing there (in his car) he's violating every warning on the signs. And there's a policeman there.

Basically, the choices we were given, and what it looks like we will be given (and may Moshiach come long before so we and the whole world will live under governments ruled with real leadership) are untenable. Depending on our POV, some are less untenable/more untenable than others.
Back to top

Jeanette




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 8:24 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I do wish Trump had a real sense of humor. I don't call name-calling a sense of humor. I do think being able to graciously handle a Gridiron dinner reflects a sense of humor.

ETA: The 3rd term joke didn't make me LOL or laugh, but at least it wasn't mean-spirited. I'd even give partial credit for it.


According to Trump supporters on this thread, the reason he made the "joke" was to get people riled up, to upset people, to make them react, to make them look foolish and crazy. If that was indeed his motivation, wouldn't you consider that just a little mean spirited?

OP was accused of being mentally unbalanced for reacting to his repeated comments that he plans to serve a third term. Do you think those posters were being mean spirited?
Back to top

chanatron1000




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 8:27 am
Cheiny wrote:
The irony here is that you don’t realize you’ve just described to a “t” the democrat front runner!

Why is that ironic? They do have a lot in common, and it is very sad that neither side seems capable of producing someone halfway decent.
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 8:31 am
Jeanette wrote:
According to Trump supporters on this thread, the reason he made the "joke" was to get people riled up, to upset people, to make them react, to make them look foolish and crazy. If that was indeed his motivation, wouldn't you consider that just a little mean spirited?

OP was accused of being mentally unbalanced for reacting to his repeated comments that he plans to serve a third term. Do you think those posters were being mean spirited?


Re your second paragraph: I do think those posters were incorrect.
And this is what is giving me great pause. I might vote Republican, but I don't want to be aligned with a lot of the other voters. Just as I assume Democrats are having their own identity crises with what's going on on the left.

OK, the great pause, and I should shoot this guy an email. Hugh Hewitt, who I would think should know better (Mike Gallagher I can hear this from) has been pondering if the president will change his Biden nickname from Sleepy Joe to Record Player Joe. He thinks he should. I think that makes me barf. Gallagher has said the "gadlus" of Trump is that he says what people are thinking but wouldn't say. IOW, is it now acceptable? I think this is deplorable, that this is the level of discourse. As frum Jews, who have a concept of laws of lashon hara and rechilus, and ona'as devarim, we have to really double down on our reviewing of the halachos and strengthen our inner core.

So does that mean that we should vote for someone who strikes us as fundamentally decent (how I always perceived Biden, who makes one think of an era of bipartisanship) even if we have really grave reservations about the platforms of his or her party? I can't but I can't fault someone for doing that. (And I should mention that there is a third alternative: writing in or abstaining.)
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 8:38 am
Jeanette wrote:
According to Trump supporters on this thread, the reason he made the "joke" was to get people riled up, to upset people, to make them react, to make them look foolish and crazy. If that was indeed his motivation, wouldn't you consider that just a little mean spirited?

OP was accused of being mentally unbalanced for reacting to his repeated comments that he plans to serve a third term. Do you think those posters were being mean spirited?


That's not the main reason. Liberals heads exploding is the side show.
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 8:46 am
SixOfWands wrote:
“Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well,” she said.

And yes, the white supremacists, including David Duke (whom Trump famously refused to disavow) who supported Trump are deplorable. So are all the racists, homophones, Islamaphobes, antisemites, and other haters.

I still don't get how anyone could say "I cannot vote for anyone who calls racists 'deplorable.' I'll vote for the guy who calls his fellow Republicans things like 'Lyin' Ted' or 'Low Energy Jeb' or 'Little Marco.' Who calls his political opponents 'Crooked' and calls women '"Fat.' Who says that Latino judges can't rule fairly, says Mexicans are rapists, and mocks differently abled reporters. That's much more civil discourse."


Where did any one ever said that they can't vote for anyone who calls racists deplorables?

What about the off the rails craziness when DT called MS 13 members animals? I stand with him on that one.

Things that are getting labeled racist have been taken to the extremes. Calling blood drives racist because they need black blood donors is the typical overreaction coming out of left field.

It's the left policing speech often with physical violence.
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 8:48 am
Squishy wrote:
That's not the main reason. Liberals heads exploding is the side show.


So what' the real reason, in your opinion, he repeatedly states that he would like to be president for more than 2 terms, and praises systems that allow that?

And do you think it is a good thing for someone who is the leader of a country to troll more than half of his constituents, as you claim he is doing?

On September 17, 2001, President George Bush visited a mosque in DC and gave a speech inveighing against the harassment of Arabs and Muslims living in the United States and talking about the need to respect Islam.

He wasn't trying to curry favor with racists. He wasn't trying to troll anyone, or make heads explode. He was trying to govern an entire country, including those who disagreed with him politically.

What has happened to our country in less than 20 years?
Back to top

SixOfWands




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 8:59 am
Squishy wrote:
Where did any one ever said that they can't vote for anyone who calls racists deplorables?

What about the off the rails craziness when DT called MS 13 members animals? I stand with him on that one.

Things that are getting labeled racist have been taken to the extremes. Calling blood drives racist because they need black blood donors is the typical overreaction coming out of left field.

It's the left policing speech often with physical violence.


Fox said that Clinton's speech in which she called racists "deplorables" won the election for Trump.

And you're really stretching to conflate an incident involving Britain's NHS with the US left. I guess that's all you got.
Back to top

shyshira




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 9:51 am
The "main" reason? Ego.
Back to top

Jeanette




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 10:30 am
shyshira wrote:
The "main" reason? Ego.


Dictator envy. Putin can hold sham elections, lock up opponents and kill journalists. Why can't he? Xi Jin Ping is president for life. Why not him?

Since his election Trump has successfully torn down many of the safeguards of democracy we used to take for granted. He figured out that if he just plows forward and does what he wants, nobody can stop him as long as he has a compliant Senate and Supreme Court. He's been right on track so far... Basically he will go as far as he can go unless somebody stops him. And who will that be?
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 10:47 am
shyshira wrote:
The "main" reason? Ego.


Much of everything he does is ego, so it is a component.
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 10:48 am
Jeanette wrote:
Dictator envy. Putin can hold sham elections, lock up opponents and kill journalists. Why can't he? Xi Jin Ping is president for life. Why not him?

Since his election Trump has successfully torn down many of the safeguards of democracy we used to take for granted. He figured out that if he just plows forward and does what he wants, nobody can stop him as long as he has a compliant Senate and Supreme Court. He's been right on track so far... Basically he will go as far as he can go unless somebody stops him. And who will that be?


Ridiculous.
Back to top

#BestBubby




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 10:49 am
Jeanette wrote:
Dictator envy. Putin can hold sham elections, lock up opponents and kill journalists. Why can't he? Xi Jin Ping is president for life. Why not him?

Since his election Trump has successfully torn down many of the safeguards of democracy we used to take for granted. He figured out that if he just plows forward and does what he wants, nobody can stop him as long as he has a compliant Senate and Supreme Court. He's been right on track so far... Basically he will go as far as he can go unless somebody stops him. And who will that be?


It's the Democrats that are wanna be dictators. Democrats want to control everyone's access to health care - and even take away the Right to private health care.

Democrats want to outlaw freedom of speech - any speech in opposition is "hate"

Democrats want to outlaw freedom of religion - because christianity and judaism are
"hate" - anti LGBQT agenda, mysoginist.

But it's A-OK if ISLAM is anti-LGBQT and Mysoginist - because Muslims are Democrats Ally in destroying FREEDOM and imposing Tyranny.

Democrats want to take away your second amendment right to own guns - because all tyrants take away guns. Hitler did it, Mao did it, Stalin did it, Castro did it, Pol Pot....

Democrats want to take away your right to own a car, have electricity, A/C, straws, styrofoam cups, strong flow showers, strong flush toilets - no LIMIT to what Democrats want to TAKE AWAY!


Last edited by #BestBubby on Fri, Sep 13 2019, 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

shyshira




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 10:51 am
Squishy wrote:
Much of everything he does is ego, so it is a component.


nu? So what is the main reason?
Back to top

#BestBubby




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 10:54 am
Squishy wrote:
Where did any one ever said that they can't vote for anyone who calls racists deplorables?

What about the off the rails craziness when DT called MS 13 members animals? I stand with him on that one.

Things that are getting labeled racist have been taken to the extremes. Calling blood drives racist because they need black blood donors is the typical overreaction coming out of left field.

It's the left policing speech often with physical violence.


You have a problem calling vicious murderers animals?
OY! Liberal brainwashing!
Back to top

Fox




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 11:00 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Fox said that Clinton's speech in which she called racists "deplorables" won the election for Trump.

Is this intentional lying or just sloppiness? Clinton didn't call racists "deplorables." She called half of Trump voters racists, etc. Big, big difference.

Which is rich coming from someone who responded to a question about problems in inner city black neighborhoods by saying, essentially, yes, but they have such great churches.

But now that the left has discovered that calling people "racist, sexist, homophobe" is no longer enough to bully them, so they've moved on to calling everyone a "white nationalist." Eventually that will cease to have any meaning, and we'll move on to the next epithet.

SixOfWands wrote:
What has happened to our country in less than 20 years?

I'll tell you what has happened. George Bush was derided by the left as a racist, sexist, homophobic, war-mongerer. He was constantly accused of caring only for his rich oil industry buddies. He was blamed for not being able to instantly cure AIDS. He was reviled by Jews -- including many Orthodox Jews -- as an anti-Semite.

Fast-forward 30 years, and anyone who is even mildly conservative knows that it doesn't matter. If you articulate any idea or opinion that differs slightly from accepted leftist canon, you wil be called all those names and more.

Need examples? Just search for "left eats its own" and you'll have plenty to choose from. The end result is always the same: when someone fails to capitulate to a leftist opinion, cause, or demand, that individual is called all of the popular epithets and more.

So the last 30 years have taught us that it's never enough. There is never enough proof that you aren't racist, etc. If you don't toe the line on whatever the cause du jour is, then you're literally Hitler, y'ms.

SixOfWands wrote:
You keep on believing that, OK.

Keep believing that LGBTQ people are going to flock to vote for Trump when his Justice Administration has filed briefs supporting the right of employers to fire people based on their gender identity, and has also asked the courts to legalize discrimination against gay, lesbian and bisexual workers. They're not, even if Gary on Twitter tells you that he's voting Trump.

Keep believing that people of color adore a man who refers to "his African American" (who no longer supports Trump because of Trump's racism). Who impugned a Latino judge's ability to rule fairly (a comment that even Paul Ryan described as "textbook racist"). Who consistently acts as if all African Americans live in poverty. Who ... don't have time to list it all. In a recent poll, 80% of black voters said that Trump is racist.

Clinton was right. The racists and homophobes who supported Trump are deplorable. But we can't say that. Oh, no. We can, however, call Bahamian refugees drug dealers, Mexicans rapists, and our political opponents by disgusting epithets.

You can make fun of me all you want. Frankly, I've been trained to take far more ridicule and remain in the fight.

I've already addressed your flawed understanding of how voting works. Do you think that African-Americans are stupid? Because that's the impression you're giving -- that African-Americans are one-issue voters who think of nothing beyond race. And are you unaware of the discord within the LGBT community because of transgender issues and how that impacts opinions about legislation? Or are you just reading whatever "big gay media" spits out?

"Gary on Twitter" may be one person, true. But each person has a ripple effect. I am the most rando of all randos on Twitter, yet I typically get 30K impressions a month. I don't do Facebook, but I have friends who do, and they make a similar impact. Why do you think Twitter suspends or bans 25 percent of African-Americans who are retweeted by Trump?

Racism, etc., are indeed deplorable characteristics. But, again, Clinton didn't say that. She said that half of Trump's voters were racists, etc. How she arrived at that figure, no one was willing to say.

But here's an idea: rather than arguing that people of certain identity groups must vote for Democrats because Trump and/or Republicans are evil, how about letting them vote for whichever candidates best reflect their priorities, values, and concerns?
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 11:05 am
#BestBubby wrote:
You have a problem calling vicious murderers animals?
OY! Liberal brainwashing!


#BestBubby,

I fight the good fight. I have a problem with people being offended calling vicious murders animals. They are animals when they their depravity leads then to torture and murder a person because he won't torture and murder.

Now in California, you can't refer to convicted felons, they are judicially challenged or some other such nonsense.
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 11:10 am
SixOfWands wrote:
Fox said that Clinton's speech in which she called racists "deplorables" won the election for Trump.

And you're really stretching to conflate an incident involving Britain's NHS with the US left. I guess that's all you got.


So now you have been reduced to twisting words and attributing it to Fox? That's bizarre even for you.

This is what Hillary said,

"You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump's supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. (Laughter/applause) Right? (Laughter/applause) They're racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic – Islamophobic – you name it."

She didn't call racists deplorable. She called half of Trump supporters deplorable. Then she's preceded to call them more names.

You think the contagion on the left is limited to our country?
Back to top

Squishy




 
 
 


Post  Fri, Sep 13 2019, 11:16 am
Fox wrote:
You can make fun of me all you want. Frankly, I've been trained to take far more ridicule and remain in the fight.

I've already addressed your flawed understanding of how voting works. Do you think that African-Americans are stupid? Because that's the impression you're giving -- that African-Americans are one-issue voters who think of nothing beyond race. And are you unaware of the discord within the LGBT community because of transgender issues and how that impacts opinions about legislation? Or are you just reading whatever "big gay media" spits out?

"Gary on Twitter" may be one person, true. But each person has a ripple effect. I am the most rando of all randos on Twitter, yet I typically get 30K impressions a month. I don't do Facebook, but I have friends who do, and they make a similar impact. Why do you think Twitter suspends or bans 25 percent of African-Americans who are retweeted by Trump?

Racism, etc., are indeed deplorable characteristics. But, again, Clinton didn't say that. She said that half of Trump's voters were racists, etc. How she arrived at that figure, no one was willing to say.

But here's an idea: rather than arguing that people of certain identity groups must vote for Democrats because Trump and/or Republicans are evil, how about letting them vote for whichever candidates best reflect their priorities, values, and concerns?


Whoppie Goldberg agrees with you.

“In this country, people can vote for who they want to -- that is one of the great rights of this country,” she said on Tuesday. “You don’t have to like it but we don’t go after people because we don’t like who they voted for -- we don’t go after them that way."

Why do those that oppose Trump think physical violence is ok against his supporters?
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 12 of 14 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic       Forum -> In the News -> Politics

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Would you name baby in memory of a victim of terroris attack
by amother
37 Thu, Oct 17 2019, 4:06 am View last post
Anti-Semitic attack in BP today? I just heard Zev Brenner.
by amother
6 Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:45 am View last post
S/o No attack on the constitution here 0 Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:29 am View last post
Urgent Tefilot needed for terror attack victims
by etky
7 Tue, Aug 20 2019, 10:57 am View last post
by etky
MASS PANIC ATTACK!
by amother
23 Thu, Apr 18 2019, 11:52 am View last post

Jump to: