Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
I can't schedule a dentist appt!!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 4:53 pm
I have the world's worst insurance. If I want to schedule an appt for after 3 (after school and work- no im not taking off of work for a dentist appt, I have to take off as it is for fast days and isru chag and all the times when the kids have half day/no school ), I need to wait until April.
If I want to bring them in (2 cute and well behaved kids) on chol hamoed (if ask my Rav first) when I have off of work, I need to bring a second adult with me- they don't allow me to come with two kids and one adult. Guess what? No one is abailable, my family members all have work....
argh
Am I crazy for just waiting until we get new insurance in February when hopefully some dentists won't be so crazy?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 5:20 pm
What does insurance have to do with scheduling an appointment after school hours? The dentist either has appointments or not.

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 5:38 pm
I had this problem with my previous dentist, so I switched to a dentist with more availability and more flexible hours. I would try more dentists, if I were you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 5:43 pm
The only dentists that accept my insurance are these two places. I have to wait until April for an afternoon appt, or I have to find an adult to accompany me (but I have no such person who can do that for me.)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 5:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The only dentists that accept my insurance are these two places. I have to wait until April for an afternoon appt, or I have to find an adult to accompany me (but I have no such person who can do that for me.)

First thing first, make the April appointment before that is gone too. You can always cancel if need be.
Then try to call mornings to see if there were any cancellations.
If God forbid a toothache comes up, call regarding an emergency appt.
And for next time, set up follow up appointments while you're there for an appointment, even though it's in 6 months time.

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:49 pm
Yes, make the April appointment. It seems this is your first time, sometimes once you have your first appointment you might get in more easily in the future.
Weird policy about not letting one adult bring more than one child. I mean theoretically I understand the concern but practically speaking, well, it's impractical. Anyone who has more than one child wants to have them both visit dentist/doctor/etc at the same time!

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:50 pm
OP, I've had the same issue with so many different doctors' appointments. B'H I have decent insurance, but many doctors just don't have appointments available during the times I need them. Many times I need to scramble and run across town right after work.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:03 pm
That's annoying. I would schedule appointments for two days of their vacation and try to send the one who doesn't have an appointment that day to a friend or relative's house- someone who also has kids home for vacation.

cbsdbs

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:50 pm
Maybe take them one at a time. Then you wont need another adult to go with you.

momof2+?

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:24 pm
OP I have the same problem as you regarding my kids dentist. I wonder if we go to the same one, or if it more common than we think.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 7:59 am
cbsdbs wrote:
Maybe take them one at a time. Then you wont need another adult to go with you.

Then I need to find someone to watch my other kid while I take the first one...

I think I will take my 5 yo to a regular dentist and pay out of pocket, and I'll wait for my 2 yo until we have new insurance.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 8:00 am
seeker wrote:
Yes, make the April appointment. It seems this is your first time, sometimes once you have your first appointment you might get in more easily in the future.
Weird policy about not letting one adult bring more than one child. I mean theoretically I understand the concern but practically speaking, well, it's impractical. Anyone who has more than one child wants to have them both visit dentist/doctor/etc at the same time!

By then iy"H I will have good insurance and can use my previous dentist.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 8:11 am
You don't know a single adult who could go with you? You need a bigger circle of friends.

Post on Whatsapp or Facebook and see if you can pay someone to come with you to watch the other child. It would be less stress and totally worth it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 8:54 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
You don't know a single adult who could go with you? You need a bigger circle of friends.

Post on Whatsapp or Facebook and see if you can pay someone to come with you to watch the other child. It would be less stress and totally worth it.

Thank you Wink
I have two close friends who don't live locally. I have one close friend who lives locally but works full time- so she's not available.
My family members work full time.
My neighbors are nice but I don't like to ask for favors, especially not since I'd have to ask them watch my very active 2 yo.
I happen to be quite introverted, so no I don't have a large circle of friends.
No one would be avail to watch them on chol hamoed (it's a heavy family time), and like I said I can't take off of work (I took off already before school started, I'm going to need to take off after r"h, before y"k, before and after Sukkos...)

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 9:20 am
What about Isru Chag Sukkos? If the 5 year old doesn't have school that day, you would have to take off anyway and it should be easier to find a teenage babysitter for the 2 year old as the high schools are still off (at least in my neck of the woods).

I also wouldn't stress out about getting the 2 year old an appointment now if you expect you will have more options in a few months. My dentist doesn't even see kids under age 3 unless there is a specific issue/concern. For a standard cleaning on an otherwise healthy kid, you can start at age 3.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 9:36 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
What about Isru Chag Sukkos? If the 5 year old doesn't have school that day, you would have to take off anyway and it should be easier to find a teenage babysitter for the 2 year old as the high schools are still off (at least in my neck of the woods).

I also wouldn't stress out about getting the 2 year old an appointment now if you expect you will have more options in a few months. My dentist doesn't even see kids under age 3 unless there is a specific issue/concern. For a standard cleaning on an otherwise healthy kid, you can start at age 3.

It's a Wednesday, and this dentist is only available on mondays and thursdays...

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 9:51 am
That's frustrating!! Very limited options this year with how Yom Tov falls out. Would it be worth it to travel to a dentist a little farther away who accepts your insurance but is more flexible with scheduling and would take both of your kids together? Your insurance company should be able to give you names of practitioners within a certain number of miles from your house.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 9:56 am
If your in Brooklyn try Dr Abitbol 718 265 6699
or PEdiatric dentistry of BP 854 3333
Refuah dental 435 3400
they take more insurance than most practice.

Please remember that dentists are a struggle for all of us. Many dont take new patients, they are
booked to capacity etc. etc. Many dont take your insurance...

Skippy!!

Post Thu, Sep 12 2019, 1:08 pm
I've learned the hard way that when you're leaving the doctor's office you have to schedule the next appointment, otherwise many offices have 3-6 month waits.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics