Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Quarzsite vs quartz

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 9:42 pm
I'm choosing countertops for my new kitchen and like the quarzsite colors alot. are there any downside to quarzsite over quartz?

the counter guy did tell me that if I cook alot its best to go with quartz but the color tones that I wanted he didn't have anything for me to chose from.

EPL

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:02 pm
There is no downside to quartzite, except for the cost. It is one of the costliest countertops available.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:06 pm
EPL wrote:
There is no downside to quartzite, except for the cost. It is one of the costliest countertops available.

THanks! I don't really know my stuff, but the few quartz options I chose-I was told was over my budget and one of the quartzsite options I wanted was the right price...is that because there are also different levels in quartz?

I know quartzsite has to be resealed once a year. I guess that's not considered a downside?

EPL

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:11 pm
If you found a quartzite you like for less than quartz, you are very lucky. Most quartz runs from $50 a foot and up, with many as high as $100 a foot. Quartzite can be as much as $120 a foot and up.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:17 pm
Quartzite is a real stone, hard like granite but in prettier colors.

Quartz is manufactured. One major downside of quartz is that (according to many poskim) it cannot be kashered.

No counter is totally maintenance free.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:44 pm
The other downside to engineered quartz is that it is not heatproof. It is made from mashed up stone mixed with resin, and the ratio of stone to resin is often less than you might think. Resin is cheaper than stone.

Regarding quartzite, the good ones are about as durable as you're going to find in stone. However, some quartzites, often called soft quartzites or dolomitic quartzites, are less durable because they contain marble. Marble is a softer stone and can stain or etch or scratch. You can ask the fabricator whether the quartzite you like is a hard or soft quartzite.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 10:46 pm
My quartz chipped. Not a fan

tweety1

Post Wed, Sep 11 2019, 11:29 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
My quartz chipped. Not a fan

I've heard this before, yet I also heard "chipped? I have it for 5 years so far no issues". I think it makes a difference which company quartz you get.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics