Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What non kosher food are you super curious about?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

lucky14

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:27 pm
Peeps

cuterpatooter

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:29 pm
I think there are Kosher Cinnabons.

I'm curious how cheese and fleishigs actually taste together.

singleagain

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:30 pm
misrael wrote:
I think there are Kosher Cinnabons.

I'm curious how cheese and fleishigs actually taste together.

there is a kosher cinnabon on route 4 in NJ. I went there once... It was amazing!

MiriFr

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:35 pm
Grilling a steak in BUTTER.

Also all of the fresh pastries at Starbucks.

penguin

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:41 pm
Yuk to most of the above.

What I would possibly like to try is Chicken Kiev, but I think I would try it with margarine (healthy, of course) very happily. Doesn't even have to be butter flavored.

You know what, I don't really care. But then again, I have some food issues (due to digestive difficulties) so I am not even tempted by anything exotic, even kosher.

Interesting, that the Gemara says we should not say yuk about aveiros that are chukim (though it's quite acceptable, and even desirable, to say it about logical mitzvos, I.e. mishapatim) but rather, I'd love to eat it, but I don't because my Creator told me not to.

However, (source, Mrs. Esther Wein, I forget whom she quoted) WRT sheratzim it says "hamaaleh eschem me'eretz Mitzrayim" - that Hashem took you up, meaning elevated you, from among the Egyptians, and therefore you should have no desire for sheratzim. I suspect lobster & shrimp (and crayfish etc) are in that category, though I'm not sure. Like eating cockroaches, I'm with you there!

Soul on fire

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:48 pm
I'm also a convert and have already eaten many of these things. I also miss pepperoni pizza...I never liked the idea of seafood anyway, it grosses me out, looks like bugs. I prefer beef bacon to pork bacon because pork bacon is mostly fat. The only thing I would really like is the convenience of fast food when running around or traveling.
Oh and I wanted to add as gross as slim jims really are...they are oddly delicious...lol.

Last edited by Soul on fire on Sun, Sep 15 2019, 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

nywife

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:48 pm
In my OTD days I ate it all. I miss seafood the most- shrimp, lobster, scallops- all DELICIOUS. And healthy. Bacon is pretty good, but I’ll say I miss seafood more.

my mama

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 5:55 pm
I'd love to try ethnic food... real Mexican, real Chinese, Indian, thai, vietnamese, etc.

Fave

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 6:07 pm
Soul on fire wrote:
I'm also a convert and have already eaten many of these things. I also miss pepperoni pizza...I never liked the idea of seafood anyway, it grosses me out, looks like bugs. I prefer beef bacon to pork bacon because pork bacon is mostly fat. The only thing I would really like is the convenience of fast food when running around or traveling.

I’m with you, I’m FFB, but not really interested in tasting any non kosher food specifically. However, would really love the convenience of having convenient fast food/restaurant/hotel food options when traveling.

nylon

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 6:18 pm
Didn't grow up religious and have eaten it all. Shrimp is all about the texture--I can't explain the taste much, it's not that strong, but the texture is firm and crisp, not soft like fish. I like(d) lobster and crab meat but not dealing with the shells. Molluscs like clams and mussels... my parents loved them, but the texture is very weird, I think if you didn't eat them as a kid it wouldn't be appealing. Except for scallops, which are sweet and delicious and come already out of the shell. But I never ate enough of these for it to be terrible when I stopped.

Pork I only really miss in Chinese food (it makes the best filling for dumplings; chicken isn't as juicy). It's closest to veal in flavor, I guess, but with a firmer, closer texture unless it's shredded. I never liked bacon or ham.

Rib eye is actually my favorite steak anyway, it's got fat and flavor. The filet is super tender, and porterhouse is tasty. But the issues with beef are about economics as much as kashrut per se.

Basar b'chalav is the hardest one for me--being able to put butter in side dishes, or in a sauce.

BatyaEsther

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 6:43 pm
I would just want Velveeta on everything.
On TV, the 80's, poured over broccoli, it looked delicious. (The kosher one separated and was not good at all).
Through my job, I have been in random people's homes and I have smelled cooked bacon. I find the smell very strong and nauseating. Sea creatures, as a poster above stated, look like roaches or something gross.

Marathon

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 6:56 pm
This is not not kosher but I always wanted to try Hersheys choc

imorethanamother

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 7:34 pm
animeme wrote:
Yep. I want to eat the Cinnabons. Also, I've always wanted to taste tacos with meat and cheese and sour cream, and especially Indian food with meat and yogurt.

1) There's a kosher cinnabon in NJ and also in Chicago. And yes, it's amazing. However, I will say that if you make cinnamon buns with extra filling and extra drizzle sauce on top, it tastes the same. Use the Pioneer Woman recipe.

2) Tacos with meat and cheese and sour cream - sarah Lasry has a vegetarian chili that I put cheese and sour cream and it tastes amazing.

iammom

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 7:52 pm
MiriFr wrote:
Grilling a steak in BUTTER.

Also all of the fresh pastries at Starbucks.

The bolded! Would love to taste it.

heidi

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 1:57 am
Bacon
Philly Cheese Steak
I've had fake cheese on hamburgers and it's delicious. I can only imagine that the real is thing must be 100 times better

SRB

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 2:10 am
BT here - and have eaten all the above, including alligator. Yes, it’s a thing in the south where my fathers family is from. It smells similar to fish but texture is more tough like chicken. I miss bbq pork ribs, calamari at the Pier in San Francisco and authentic Indian food. But probably the most delicious mentioned yet is steak sautéed in butter. Truth is there is so much we can eat and I have healthier eating choices now, I don’t miss it much.

Kiwi13

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 2:26 am
Lucky Charms. I've been periodically checking for a hechsher since I was a kid! I'm still holding out hope. Maybe one day...

SRB

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 2:33 am
Lucky Charms - LOL! As a kid I would dump out the entire box into a huge bowl and just pick out the marshmallows! The marshmallows taste like kosher ones but a bit dehydrated so they are crunchy. Let us know if you find a heksher someday!

nomismommy

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 3:15 am
Iymnok wrote:
My mother is a BT. She started keeping kosher to avoid pork and bacon. Her aversion made me not curious at all about the taste.

Im also a BT and the things mentioned here are actually not delicious at all. Especially bacon. So gross.

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 5:46 am
penguin wrote:
Yuk to most of the above.

What I would possibly like to try is Chicken Kiev, but I think I would try it with margarine (healthy, of course) very happily. Doesn't even have to be butter flavored.

You know what, I don't really care. But then again, I have some food issues (due to digestive difficulties) so I am not even tempted by anything exotic, even kosher.

Interesting, that the Gemara says we should not say yuk about aveiros that are chukim (though it's quite acceptable, and even desirable, to say it about logical mitzvos, I.e. mishapatim) but rather, I'd love to eat it, but I don't because my Creator told me not to.

However, (source, Mrs. Esther Wein, I forget whom she quoted) WRT sheratzim it says "hamaaleh eschem me'eretz Mitzrayim" - that Hashem took you up, meaning elevated you, from among the Egyptians, and therefore you should have no desire for sheratzim. I suspect lobster & shrimp (and crayfish etc) are in that category, though I'm not sure. Like eating cockroaches, I'm with you there!

I make a delicious chicken kiev with spectrum butter flavored. I can't tell you how authentic it tastes, but it is good. The butter flavor and the chicken compliment each other. It looks really pretty.

Lobster Newburgh speaks to me. I would love to capture that flavor. I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for the mock lobster that was supposed to be in the supermarkets.

Because of this thead, I am going to grill up a steak stovetop in spectrum butter flavor. I have made Mississippi roast with it. It's also pretty good.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics