Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
Instagrammer blocked me
1  2  3  Next

solo

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 9:13 pm
I noticed that [an Instagrammer] frequently uses the term ocd to describe the way she organizes things. So a while ago I sent her a dm with a post from a mental health page describing how hurtful this kind of usage is. Then today when she referred to her preference for same sized spice jars as ocd and I commented with the same message she sent me a bunch of angry messages. Thanked me for commenting (cuz she had sent me a dm previously requesting I post my comments on her page) Said that since she worked in the mental health field she knows better. And blocked me.
I know it’s a shallow account used as a platform for influencing materialism. But she also preaches kindness and consideration in her stories. So this surprised me.
Not annon cuz I know I’m gonna be talking about this.

simba

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 9:15 pm
One less stupidity in you life.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 9:19 pm
You were out of line messaging her a second time. You told her once, it’s not your job to change her behavior. You don’t need to call her out every time she does something you don’t approve of.

shmosmom

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 9:22 pm
Why are we speaking bout a specific person, who I assume has feelings, and this may very well quickly lead to gossip?
I don't know the person in question, but labeling a thread with a person's name just to speak about an incident with them is a dangerous game.
Unless this is a fictional character?

solo

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 9:23 pm
She hadn’t replied to my first message. And I know she prides herself on responding to all messages. So I assumed she hadn’t seen it.

trixx

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 9:26 pm
solo wrote:
I noticed that [an Instagrammer] frequently uses the term ocd to describe the way she organizes things. So a while ago I sent her a dm with a post from a mental health page describing how hurtful this kind of usage is. Then today when she referred to her preference for same sized spice jars as ocd and I commented with the same message she sent me a bunch of angry messages. Thanked me for commenting (cuz she had sent me a dm previously requesting I post my comments on her page) Said that since she worked in the mental health field she knows better. And blocked me.
I know it’s a shallow account used as a platform for influencing materialism. But she also preaches kindness and consideration in her stories. So this surprised me.
Not annon cuz I know I’m gonna be talking about this.

She also preaches, if you don't like it, unfollow.

Flip Flops

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 9:30 pm
Preaching kindness and consideration means nothing to me.
It's the "in" thing to do if you are an influencer. You have to have an instagram page filled with the gashmius and materialism, flaunt your wealth and good fortune, and also preach like you are the tzadekes hador. It's ok, we don't need it. All these holy, inspirational, deep messages? Makes me sick.

solo

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 9:51 pm
https://I.imgur.com/VPn3T3r.jpg

That’s the page I dmd her. Incase someone didn’t know that using medical diagnoses flippantly is hurtful wouldn’t that at least give u pause? Could it possible make u angry or defensive?

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 9:54 pm
You have no business messaging her about these things and you have no business to air this here on imamother. It's pure lashon hora.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:06 pm
People use terms like OCD and depressed colloquially. A lot of times people say " I'm so depressed about such and such", they don't mean to be hurtful to people who are actually clinically depressed, or have OCD, or ADHD. Just keep in mind that it's used a lot, especially depressed and OCD.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:12 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
People use terms like OCD and depressed colloquially. A lot of times people say " I'm so depressed about such and such", they don't mean to be hurtful to people who are actually clinically depressed, or have OCD, or ADHD. Just keep in mind that it's used a lot, especially depressed and OCD.

It’s going to stop being ‘cute’ soon I hope.. we can return to people just saying ‘I’m neurotic”.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:14 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
It’s going to stop being ‘cute’ soon I hope.. we can return to people just saying ‘I’m neurotic”.

And neurotic is another clinical term that is used colloquially, there you go.

sneakermom

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:22 pm
I’m not an instagramer but I would get very annoyed too. It’s important not to nitpick at people.

Give people leeway to misuse the English language and basic terminology. It’s the way people talk when they are comfortable. Otherwise they either clam up or shut you out of their life.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:22 pm
And neurotic is another clinical term that is used colloquially, there you go.

It’s out of favor clinically.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:41 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
It’s out of favor clinically.

Neuroticism:

https://www.psychologytoday.co.....icism

https://www.webmd.com/mental-h.....rview

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:45 pm
Neuroticism:

https://www.psychologytoday.co.....icism

https://www.webmd.com/mental-h.....rview

In 1980, the American Psychiatric Association removed the term neurosis from its diagnostic manual as part of a revamp to standardize the criteria for mental illnesses. Today, neurosis is not a stand-alone mental condition. Instead, doctors most often put its symptoms in the same category as anxiety disorder. In other words, what used to be called neurosis now falls under the umbrella of anxiety.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:48 pm
Another one that make me upset is when ppl say "that is so down syndrome." My little 12 yr sister said it and I told her she can never say that esp in front of my husband who has a sister and a nephew with DS. Banging head Banging head

singleagain

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:53 pm
Just bc ppl say thing colloquially it doesn't mean that it's okay to say it. Think about all the other words that used to be perfectly fine in every day Life that no longer is. Would you tell a dark skinned person "oh... The n word isn't meant to be hurtful?" Why do you think that fell out of favor? Enough ppl decided they weren't okay with it. That's what ppl are trying to do when mental health diagnoses are being used flippantly.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 10:58 pm
[quote="amother [ Pumpkin ]"]In 1980, the American Psychiatric Association removed the term neurosis from its diagnostic manual as part of a revamp to standardize the criteria for mental illnesses. Today, neurosis is not a stand-alone mental condition. Instead, doctors most often put its symptoms in the same category as anxiety disorder. In other words, what used to be called neurosis now falls under the umbrella of anxiety.[/quot

Sigh. Just read the rest and Google if you want more information on terms that are being used clinically. That doesn't mean it's a diagnosis. But it's a term that is used in clinical settings( if you understand the difference).

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Sep 15 2019, 11:00 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Another one that make me upset is when ppl say "that is so down syndrome." My little 12 yr sister said it and I told her she can never say that esp in front of my husband who has a sister and a nephew with DS. Banging head Banging head

What does that even mean? Asking seriously.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media