Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
WHat helps you stay off your devices?

thegiver

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 8:28 pm
Since I was 11 yo I have probably wasted years of my life doing nothing on these devices and pretending to connect with people.

How do I let go of this chronic habit? I keep getting rid of my smartphone and then finding some excuse why I need it. There are no healthy boundaries. I do avoid using it in front of my kids but to me more than 5 min on my device means failure to do something more productive and meaningful TO ME.

I use it to fill an empty void (when hubby is not around/kids falling asleep) instead of being creative.

What has helped you let go? For good?

Pls dont use this post to let me know you have the same problem. Can't Believe It I need solutionsssssss Punch 5780 is going to look different. Let’s start a movement lol

Boca00

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 9:08 pm
I'm not exactly answering your question because I wanted to set boundaries without giving it up completely. I felt it would be too hard to sustain long-term if I dropped everything.

This is what is working for me so far..
I deleted Whatsapp, Telegram, Instagram and basically all the apps that I wasted time on.

I am not ready to give up my browser (I need shopping! And to check in here Wink) but I don't go on it until after 8pm, when my kids are in bed. My phone gives me an option to limit screen time, and I set it to shut down after about an hour.
Basically, for about 23 hours of the day, my phone is very boring and I just noticed today that it's not the first thing I do in the morning anymore.

Surrendered

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 9:22 pm
Hakol Hakavod Boca00. Amazing solution!

I use the phone entertainment as an incentive for finishing tasks.
When I'm done cleaning up/cooking dinner/finish errands, I will check out Imamother for 15 minutes.
Or just to unwind before retiring for the night.

I don't have any extras like WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter...
Just text, email, Amazon shopping, Imamother... it keeps me in check.
Hakol Hakavod OP for your willingness to give up wasting time on these addictions.

cnc

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 10:02 pm
I disconnected my iPad from the WiFi so it’s not usable( no Telegram etc ). I deleted my Instagram account.

When I remember, I try not to use my (work)smartphone between the hours of 4 PM and 8 PM. I’m not always so successful though. I’m hoping to eventually wean myself off my smartphone and use my kosher phone exclusively.

singleagain

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 10:14 pm
Sometimes when I'm at work, and I need to focus. I put my headphones in and use my phone to play music. And I mute my other noises. I hate interruptions in songs. So I'll use the phone for songs. And I won't use it for other things.

momsrus

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 10:14 pm
I filtered it. Removed anything addictive, including this website. I can now only access it from my pc, but I don't spend very little time on it.

I kept whatsapp but since I'm not really on any groups, it's pretty boring.

honeymoon

Post Mon, Sep 16 2019, 10:20 pm
I got a basic phone and limit my internet access to my computer with a filter. If I would own a smartphone I wouldn't have a social and family life...

LovesHashem

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 3:23 am
No smartphone here too. But I'm definitely struggling with the computer a lot.
Anyone have any tips on that?

etky

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 8:04 am
Nothing. Just Shabbat and Chag. Thank goodness at least for that...

mp5

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 8:28 am
I signed a contract with myself to help me create the habits I need to get me to where I want to get, and since number one thing getting in my way was the mindless time-wasting was using my phone and tablet - the first thing I put down was NO SCREENS in the bedroom and also limit 'screen time' to X and Y when with the family.

For me, it made all the difference. Especially since I'm usually pretty efficient but when I'm exhausted, overwhelmed or just down and want to disconnect I automatically drift towards my devices and hours later I've wasted precious time. If it isn't in my room, there are always people around so I am a lot less drawn to it and if I'm tired, I just go to sleep.

I do allow myself some screen time to relax (here I am on Imamother) but it is structured time and has a limit.

meme6

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 8:31 am
I downloaded an app it’s called kidslox and you have an option to shut the phone during certain hours of the day and once it’s shut you can’t do anything besides basic text and make a phone call. I love it I scheduled it to turn off when my kids get home from school and turns back on at night
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics