Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What age normal to reverse numbers and letters

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 7:52 am
DC reversed almost all numbers and letters in first grade it is got much better over the summer but still reverses a few. Like now 2 and 3 are always right but 7 and 9 are always wrong is it normal if child is progressing or something to be concerned about. Same with alphabet.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 7:54 am
I'm not an expert, but I think it's very normal for first grade and a bit past that. Try practicing or giving tips to remember where the letter or numbers start. if it continues for a long while I would look into it further.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 4:33 pm
Normal through 7ish. If you're seeing improvements in some numbers/letters then I'd be optimistic about the others falling into place.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 5:03 pm
Also not an expert but does dc have sound - letter awareness? Iow understand that letters represent specific sounds? Not having that is the biggest red flag here

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 6:00 pm
im in the field. normal until 3rd grade.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 8:01 pm
Amother mystyrose or anyone else that wants to chime in what if she sometimes, puts a capital letter in middle of a word. Again this happened much more often In first grade but she still does it a little, now,in second and grade. Motly with letters I and L. Her spelling is fine. Her reading is not fast but fine also

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 8:10 pm
OP what are you specifically concerned about? If your concern is dyslexia, putting caps in middle of words is not a red flag. The main red flag for dyslexia is lack of phonemic awareness, and if your dd is reading then it sounds like she has that.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 8:16 pm
Second grade teacher here. Normal. Should fade as year goes on.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:32 am
My second grader does the same. Normal. I usually make her correct it if it’s done at home though. Her teacher lets it slide on schoolwork
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children