Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Are Melachews safe on a regular basis?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 11:31 am
My 6 year old DS has been falling asleep 2+ hours after I put him to bed, and I have to wake him up for school most mornings.

I gave him Melachews two nights ago, and he fell asleep so quickly! Last night I gave it to him before I helped him into pajamas, and he was saying that he's too tired to get into pajamas, so I got worried that it may be too strong for him.

Any insight?

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 11:37 am
I asked and was told its fine. Ask your doctor before listening to moms on here. Give the lowest dose you can find. Generally 1 milligram. Trader joes sells 500 micrograms if u have one near you. Be sure to ask about hechsher...

jewishmom6

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 11:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 6 year old DS has been falling asleep 2+ hours after I put him to bed, and I have to wake him up for school most mornings.

I gave him Melachews two nights ago, and he fell asleep so quickly! Last night I gave it to him before I helped him into pajamas, and he was saying that he's too tired to get into pajamas, so I got worried that it may be too strong for him.

Any insight?

give him a lower dose (1/2 a pill) and give it to him when he is ready for bed.

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 11:43 am
I feel like my kid being chronically tired is more dangerous then melatonin but you have to decide that for yourself.

miami85

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 11:44 am
I usually give my kids melatonin to help re-regulate their cycles after a vacation/break of routine. I think a week or two of melatonin to help is better than the alternative--sleepy, tantrummy kids who didn't get enough sleep. I usually give my kids the 5mg and I dont' find it too strong.

angelgirl

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 11:47 am
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s.....-warn

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 12:03 pm
If 1mg is making him so sleepy, break the 1mg pill down into 4 (use a pill cutter) and see if 1/4 works. If not go up to 1/2.
I give my kids 1/6 - 1/4mg about 30 minutes before bedtime and it is a lifesaver for us

amother
White

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 12:18 pm
I bought on Amazon 300mcg. I give 1/2 or 1/4 pill and it works amazing. You really need a very small dose for children. (It's very cheap too!)
For ppl that think it's a placebo effect, I gave once a half of probiotic pill to try (looks the same) and my dc told me "dk what kind of melatonin you gave me, but it doesn't work!" LOL

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 12:27 pm
I live in the UK and use something called cytonight. apparently it's natural and safe. You might want to check it

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 12:29 pm
One of my children uses melatonin every night, my doctor is fine with it

OOTforlife

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 12:29 pm
This is the kind of question that you may be able to ask your pediatrician by phone, and get an answer without an appointment. Call and ask.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 6:06 pm
There are doctors who are okay with it, and others who are not. In the article that Angelgirl linked, it says: "When given as a medicine, melatonin is usually made synthetically in a laboratory. The short-term side effects are thought to be minimal, but it can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness and drowsiness. However, in the long term there are ongoing concerns based on studies in animals showing melatonin can affect puberty-related hormones."

There are definitely suspicions about melatonin affecting fertility. Until kids who have taken it have grown up and had children as easily as anyone else, I certainly wouldn't play around with it.

Dr. Stuart Ditchek is very against it. He says that people claim that melatonin is a natural hormone that all people's bodies create. But where are they getting it from to put it into the medicine? They can't take it out of people; they make it synthetically, so it's not actually melatonin.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 6:13 pm
I just spoke to my doctor about this yesterday and she strongly recommended against it. She said under 11 is not ok on a regular basis because their is a part of their brain that is not developed and melatonin can stunt that growth.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 6:39 pm
miami85 wrote:
I usually give my kids melatonin to help re-regulate their cycles after a vacation/break of routine. I think a week or two of melatonin to help is better than the alternative--sleepy, tantrummy kids who didn't get enough sleep. I usually give my kids the 5mg and I dont' find it too strong.

5 mg is a huge dose. Did you check with the pediatrician? I was told to try 1/3 mg for my kids and give more only if needed. I take 1/2 mg myself sometimes and it works perfectly.

JessicaR

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 6:44 pm
The point isn’t is it is safe. The point is to address the root cause and prevent you having to give your child a synthetic hormone that may or may not be safe for daily use.
Is the childs body too hyped up from stress at home or school? From eating sugar to close to bedtime? Blood sugar imbalanced?
Is the child overtired? Missed bedtime? Etc etc

There are studies saying its ok and studies saying it not ok.
You are always better off with letting your body do the job than synthetic resources.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 7:08 pm
I've had to use it for 2 kids whose brains wouldn't shut off. There is nothing you can do to shut them off; no switch came on my kids' heads that enables me to power them down. One had anxiety and not falling asleep added to anxiety, so I used it for a few days just to take away some of the anxiety that he couldn't fall asleep which helped. I have another one I am still giving a fraction of a dose (I got the 1 mg pills and use a pill cutter) most nights because not only does she stay up singing on the top of her lungs or doing who knows what (in bed, she's a good kid trying to follow the rules) but it helps the other kids fall asleep too since she's not keeping them up! She gets frustrated when she tries to fall asleep and can't, and the melatonin works well in tiny doses (higher than that she seems to have nightmares or something, wakes up screaming but claims it's because she wants to sleep in my bed or something....) but I just started it and plan on weaning her off if possible. Tonight she fell asleep on the couch herself with no aids so I think we're getting there.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Sep 17 2019, 7:23 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I've had to use it for 2 kids whose brains wouldn't shut off. There is nothing you can do to shut them off; no switch came on my kids' heads that enables me to power them down. One had anxiety and not falling asleep added to anxiety, so I used it for a few days just to take away some of the anxiety that he couldn't fall asleep which helped. I have another one I am still giving a fraction of a dose (I got the 1 mg pills and use a pill cutter) most nights because not only does she stay up singing on the top of her lungs or doing who knows what (in bed, she's a good kid trying to follow the rules) but it helps the other kids fall asleep too since she's not keeping them up! She gets frustrated when she tries to fall asleep and can't, and the melatonin works well in tiny doses (higher than that she seems to have nightmares or something, wakes up screaming but claims it's because she wants to sleep in my bed or something....) but I just started it and plan on weaning her off if possible. Tonight she fell asleep on the couch herself with no aids so I think we're getting there.

Having vivid/ scary dreams is actually a known side effect of taking melatonin in too high of a dose.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 3:35 am
Americans call anything like it vitamin
Here you need neuro...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 6:00 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
Having vivid/ scary dreams is actually a known side effect of taking melatonin in too high of a dose.

Yup, which is why she gets a fraction of a 1 mg pill. I can't believe ppl here are giving 5 mg to their kids!

But my middle school daughter told me she gave that one melatonin (she knows to cut it) and stayed with her on the couch as she did her homework since I was busy trying to get my toddler to sleep, so I guess she didn't fall asleep on her own without it Sad

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 6:29 am
My ten years old dd is on it for two years now. I was increasingly uncomfortable with the situation, but nothing else worked.

We recently got her a weighted blanket, and for the first time, we were able to cut her dose from two mg to one, and she sleeps soundly through the night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics