Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Help choosing perfume to try
1  2  3  Next

Pita

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 10:50 am
I love cologne (good cologne) on men. Not the garbage young men wear, but what older men tend to wear. So I thought why not wear something myself? But I am terrified of wearing perfume and offending someone.

Everything in the store smells too sweet for me. I don't want to smell like candy. I love citrus scents... If I could smell like an etrog or lime that would be great. Almonds are good, too. As is jasmine, tea, and coffee scent.

I already tried the l'Etrog, my husband thought it smelled like men's cologne (I liked it). The Ayala perfumes are WAAAAY crazy expensive.

So any suggestions? I am not stuck on citrus, but I want to smell clean, fresh, and slighly s-xy.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 11:12 am
Some people use essential oils. Just dab a bit on the wrist or wherever you would use cologne. Much more natural (and cheaper!) than a commercial cologne. You can get lemon, lemon verbena, lime, any of the florals. Health food stores usually carry them, also widely available on Amazon.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 11:15 am
Try Morton or Jo Malone scents.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 11:28 am
You need to order samples of high quality perfume to try.
LuckyScent and other online shops sell little vials that you can buy without wasting much money so you can try them out at home for a few days and make sure they work on you before laying out a ton of money
You need to identify notes that you like and search by notes, read through the descriptions and see if they sound like something you might enjoy
I also much prefer "manly" scents and often wear them. Smelling like a bouquet or chocolate cupcake is really not my style
If you name a few mainstream scents you enjoy I can try and help you with suggestions
I highly recommend the Zoologist line, I am totally obsessed! Very niche, original and extremely high quality. They last forever and no sickly chemical smells
I own Rhinoceros, Elephant, Camel, and Tyrannosaurus, they are all incredible, I never get tired of wearing them!

aliavi

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:07 pm
I recently had the same thought. I’ve worn the same winter and same summer scent for years. I went to a department store told my preferences (citrus) and strength and gave an example of a perfume I like. My own chemistry is very sweet and I like long lasting. We sniffed and I narrowed it down to four. I got samples to try on myself with my chemistry and found the one I wanted to buy. 15% off fragrances at Macy’s now I think. Someone mentioned essential oils. Frankincense sounds most like your description.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:08 pm
Why is nobody posting the names of their favorite perfumes??????
COME ON NOW DON'T HOLD OUT ON ME!

simba

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:11 pm
If I remember correctly Light Blue by Dolce Gabbana has a nice lemon scent.

Maybe look into musks instead of perfume. They have a deeper scent that might work for you.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:36 pm
urban gypsy wrote:

Because my family buys me these as gifts so if they're on here they'll know Wink

chanatron1000

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:39 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
Some people use essential oils. Just dab a bit on the wrist or wherever you would use cologne. Much more natural (and cheaper!) than a commercial cologne. You can get lemon, lemon verbena, lime, any of the florals. Health food stores usually carry them, also widely available on Amazon.

Using essential oils neat is not advisable. They are far too concentrated. They should be diluted well with a carrier oil.

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:39 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Because my family buys me these as gifts so if they're on here they'll know Wink

LOL know what? That you enjoy their perfume?

simba

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:42 pm
urban gypsy wrote:

Because I love Flowerbomb by Viktor and Rolf but based on OP’s post she won’t like it.

Very flowery and light.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:43 pm
If you're very particular about specific notes, you might like Demeter Fragrance's single notes for blending.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 1:46 pm
Did you actually try some on and wear it throughout the day? Your pheromones changes the scent, so it smells differently on you than in the bottle.
Try Viva la Juicy. It's very light and fresh, slightly sweet/citrusy/vanilla-y. Definitely flirty, but not over the top.

littleprincess

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:22 pm
My favourite is lady million by Dolce Gabbana

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:34 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
LOL know what? That you enjoy their perfume?

No but they'll figure out who I am! I'll be outing myself Smile

urban gypsy

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:36 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
No but they'll figure out who I am! I'll be outing myself Smile

FYI your anon colour changes from forum to forum
The only thing you are outing is that you are on this forum and the only way the will know that is if they are also on this forum

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:37 pm
simba wrote:
If I remember correctly Light Blue by Dolce Gabbana has a nice lemon scent.

Maybe look into musks instead of perfume. They have a deeper scent that might work for you.

Yes it does. I was going to suggest it, it’s one of my favorites.

I also really like fresh citrus scents. Another good one is Clementine California by Atelier Cologne.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:40 pm
Ysatis

Tresor

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 2:41 pm
Ysatis

Tresor

Poison

etky

Post Wed, Sep 18 2019, 3:06 pm
Today I'm wearing Eros Pour Femme (the EDT not the EDP, which is less fruity) by Versace.
I got several compliments.
It is sweet but in a fruity way, with a good dose of citrus.
Light Blue is a good bet too.
Also O de Lancome which is very lemony and Eclat d'Arpege by Lanvin which is a nice light safe scent.
Also, any of the Chanel Chance flankers: Eau Tendre, Eau Fraiche and Eau Vive, but they are quite pricey.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics