Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Forgot to light candles
Previous  1  2

mamaleh

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 9:03 am
I light oil and, many years ago, when this happened I was told we could just add extra oil.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 1:00 pm
Just had this come up. Was in the emergency room by semantics hadlukes haneiros. Will I need to add or is ones different? (Will ask rav, but curious from others experience)

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 2:24 pm
I've also just looked into it for my mom (dad hospitalized). It's not the same forgetting and not having time. It also depends who you ask whether you add a light https://halachablog.com/2018/1.....zEQH0

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 2:57 pm
Once happened to my mother. She was told to either add a candle or change her way of lighting.ahe changed to oil since then. I always light ten minutes early.
My sister was married about three weeks and came to me. I light early and told her I am lighting but really Shabbos not for ten minutes. She completely forgot to light and I forgot or remind her again.she asked a Rav and was told she was ok because j had everyone in my house in mind when I lit my candles.

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 3:17 pm
delicious wrote:
I was in my third trimester and had terrible cramps, to the point where I was rolling on the floor in pain.
My husband had gone to an early minyan as we were making early shabbos, and had not told me what time to light. Somehow it felt like yomtov, what with him going to shul and me not lighting right away.
And I was in [crazy] pain-I ran back and forth between the couch and bed and chair and could not breath from the pain (we figured out the next day that I was probably dehydrated).

All of a sudden I realized that it was way past shabbos zman! I was very sad as I am a very on-time person, and try to light five minutes early bl''n. I called a rov the next week and he told me to add. It's a very humbling experience, as it feels very silly to have forgotten to light shabbos licht. It reminds me I'm human.

Sounds like you were incapacitated - why should you be penalized for not lighting candles when you were rolling on the floor in pain?!!!

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 4:37 pm
Why are women always penalized for time bound mitzvos when we are supposedly not mechuyov in them anyway? Mad Forget a bedika - can't go to mikva on time. Forget to light candles - have to light an extra one. I've watched my husband daven mincha after shkiah many times, no penalties. No davening two shemonei esras. Or missing putting on tefillin.

Please tell me one mitzva a man has that he forgets, he can't do something?

(I know candles is only midoraisa so not the same as mikva)

goodmorning

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 4:47 pm
If you miss shekiah by long enough, there is a penalty: you can't daven Mincha anymore and instead need to daven two Shmone Esreis for Maariv. How long is too long depends on exactly which shittah you follow.

An example of a penalty for everyone would be forgetting to make Eiruv Tavshilin. If you forget once, you can rely on the Rav's. If you forget twice, you're not allowed to anymore and have to forego cooking on YT for Shabbos.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 4:00 am
Not everyone holds by _______________
Especially if it's a case of impossible or a BT problem or whatever else.
Even forgetting some will say learn and reparate instead of stam add.
Please ask with YOUR details
Oh and I know a man who once forgot tefilin and was tramatized by ravs reaction
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note