Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Question about lactaid pills

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 3:54 pm
DD seems to be lactose intolerant. I bought her lactaid pills which help some of the times she eats dairy.

For the last year I was buying lactaid pills where each pill is in a packet individually wrapped.
I wanted to buy a large bottle which would be easier to use than the packets. The large bottle says to take 3(!) for the pill to be effective! I think that’s too much of a hassle for her. I was trying to make things easier for her so she doesn’t have to open packets each time.

Does anyone know if lactaid pills are sold in bottles with instructions to take 1 (not 3)?

I have seen generic brands but read that they are not as effective as the lactaid brand.

Any info on lactaid pills is helpful!

esuss

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 4:57 pm
They just came out with a milk that is labeled that it is missing the protein that most people don't tolerate. It is milk bottles with purple label.
BTW I use the generic lactaid pills and they are effective but it is individually wrapped.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 20 2019, 5:10 pm
esuss wrote:
They just came out with a milk that is labeled that it is missing the protein that most people don't tolerate. It is milk bottles with purple label.
BTW I use the generic lactaid pills and they are effective but it is individually wrapped.

Yes, I saw the ad for that milk but haven’t seen it in the stores in my area yet.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 1:33 pm
Yes, both Lactaid brand and generics also come in versions where only one is enough. It should say on the package how many are needed.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 1:44 pm
esuss wrote:

Lactaid brand milk comes in a purple carton or a bottle with a purple label, but what's been removed (or more precisely broken down into simpler sugars) is not a protein, but a sugar, lactose.

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 8:50 pm
Don’t pay attention to the number of pills. Pay attention to the units of lactose per pill. Some pills are made stronger than others.
Every person needs a different amount of lactase units for different types of dairy. She needs to decide how much she needs to take based on how she feels.
Milk ice cream and yogurt have the most lactose and need the most pills.

jflower

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 9:22 pm
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equ.....80389

Each caplet has 9000 units of lactase. Do you have a Walmart near you?

hmmm123

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 9:27 pm
DH is lactose intolerant and takes two of the brand name Lactaid pills every time. He says one doesn't really work and the one time he tried an off brand ( I think it was CVS brand) they totally didn't work. Even the "purple" milk that some people were mentioning doesn't completely solve the problem for him for some reason though it's not as bad as when he drinks regular milk.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 21 2019, 11:46 pm
jflower wrote:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Equate-Fast-Acting-Dairy-Digestive-Dietary-Supplements-60-Count/20680389

Each caplet has 9000 units of lactase. Do you have a Walmart near you?

I was looking for something like this but I was reluctant to try a generic brand. The individually wrapped pills we have are also 9000 units of lactase each.
Do you know if this product is kosher? Some of the lactaid brand boxes have an OU (some don’t).

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 12:18 am
esuss wrote:

I think you’re referring to is the a1 casein protein vs the a2 casein protein. Many people have difficulty digesting the a1 protein in most conventional cows milk today. The a1 protein is a mutation - in the past, cows produced milk with the a2 protein much more commonly. The a2 protein is much more similar to human milk and therefore easier to digest.

This is a different issue from being lactose intolerant, but is very common as well- many people just don’t know about it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 12:24 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I think you’re referring to is the a1 casein protein vs the a2 casein protein. Many people have difficulty digesting the a1 protein in most conventional cows milk today. The a1 protein is a mutation - in the past, cows produced milk with the a2 protein much more commonly. The a2 protein is much more similar to human milk and therefore easier to digest.

This is a different issue from being lactose intolerant, but is very common as well- many people just don’t know about it.

How would someone know if it’s the lactose or the a1 that they have a problem with?

Ima2

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 5:48 am
about generics, my daughter says that the target brand lactaid pills taste much better than lactaid brand and they are much cheaper
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics