Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Easy, healthy, filling, breakfast plus snack ideas

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 2:25 pm
My kids would not eat egg made the night before of refiderated pancake they dont like hard eggs or oatmeal. Cereal and milk alone I dont find so filling. Yogurts they only like the real junky kind. What are some easy,filling,healthy, breakfast ideas.
Also we need a healthy fruit option with idea of how to pack for snack. Something that wont turn brow or get mushy. Something that is not to messy.apples were great when they were little but now even if it gets a little brown it no good
Thank you!

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 2:52 pm
Sounds like you have a picky bunch! If I need a breakfast to travel or for Yom tov I make a red quinoa breakfast with cooked red quinoa, frozen sliced strawberries in sugar (thawed and slightly drained) with frozen blueberries and a dash of salt and cinnamon. Can be frozen.

I would offer canned sliced pineapple rings or the fruit cups.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 3:10 pm
Grapes work well for snack. So do strawberries, if you eat them, and have time to wash and check them the night before. Sometimes putting a little bit lemon juice on apples and peaches/plums prevent them from going brown as well.

In regard to breakfast, I make fried/ scrambled eggs in the morning.
I will not eat eggs made the night before or hard-boiled eggs either, so I don't blame your kids.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 3:41 pm
See if they'll go for cocoa powder mixed into plain/vanilla yogurt. Sounds junky but actually no added sugar in it.

Muffins made with whole wheat and yogurt mixed in.

Any chance home made granola bars would fly? Or healthy home made trail mix with granola and nuts?

In terms of fruit: I used to pack the fruit into a bag and stick that bag into a hard container. Kid wasn't grossed out by or stuck with the yucky container after lunch because just the ziplock came out.
Or squeeze applesauce pouches.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 3:53 pm
Clementines work well for snacks. Also cubed melon in a hard container. My kids also like whole mini cucumbers and baby carrots or carrot sticks..

For breakfast I would try out a super healthy muffin recipe. Made with whole grains and seeds, and minimal added sweetener.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 4:03 pm
My kids like breakfast smoothies. I buy really nice smoothie cups with covers and bright colored big straws.
My kids are picky as well. I let them choose every morning what they want. I keep pancakes and waffles in the freezer and real maple syrup. They sometimes eat eggs made right then and hot.one son likes noodles so I let him have that (I only buy whole wheat). Basically I don't care what they have as long as it's decent and they eat it, even if it's not " breakfast type food".

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 4:07 pm
They sell packaged apple slices in Shoprite Boro Park. Im sure in other neighborhoodd as well. Snackbag size. They dont change color or texture.
We do farina for breakfast every day. Takes about a minute to make. Top w some choco chips. One child likes peanut butter melted in for an extra protein boost. (I get home from my nite job at 730, kids are dressed by then and busses come a 755...still time ti.make and eat the farina)

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 5:32 pm
We stick cheese between 2 breads and grill on the sandwich maker for grilled cheese in a few minutes.

Store bought frozen pancakes taste great popped into a 2 bread pop top toaster, with pure maple syrup for dipping.

Ready tuna in the fridge and make a quick sandwich in the morning. Or cream cheese.

You can beat a couple of eggs with salt and pour into muffin tins to bake for fresh eggs while you get dressed.

String cheese with fresh bread and carrot sticks with dip make ahead of time.

Cheese pancakes taste good cold from the fridge.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Sep 22 2019, 9:36 pm
Best trick to keep apples from browning- when you slice don't cut through all the way, leave bottom attached so all slices are still attached to the core so it stays closed like a whole apple. When they’re ready to eat they just snap off the slice from the apple.
Grapes in a small container are good. Sliced melon in small containers.
Kiwis sliced in half and they eat it with plastic spoon right out of the peel.

pizza4

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 12:13 am
My kids don't eat so well in the morning so breakfast is either cereal and milk, pancakes prepared from the freezer and warmed up, scrambled eggs, or an apple. As long as they eat something I'm happy. Even a string cheese is fine.
I haven't found a really healthy muffin that my family would eat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics