Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
What's your pet peeve?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 4:00 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Opening a door for someone is patronizing because it deprives them of their agency. They were just going about minding their own business, and you decided to engage them in an interaction against their will by taking possession of the doorway they were about to walk through and demanding that they engage with you in return.

I assume this is intended to be satirical.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 4:16 pm
When people say lay instead of lie. It's poor grammar, and it's become commonplace. Like - I'm going to lay in the sun. Grrr

Also, so many people write loosing, instead of losing (e.g. loosing weight)

their and there
it's and its

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 4:16 pm
Opening a door for someone is patronizing because it deprives [b]them of their agency.[/b] They were just going about minding their own business, and you decided to engage them in an interaction against their will by taking possession of the doorway they were about to walk through and demanding that they engage with you in return.

What does this even mean??
Of all the strange things I've seen on this site, this pretty much takes the cake. Unless you don't live amongst humans or you're being sarcastic.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 5:02 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
What does this even mean??
Of all the strange things I've seen on this site, this pretty much takes the cake. Unless you don't live amongst humans or you're being sarcastic.

She's sticking up for the perceived bullying of the person who didn't say thank-you.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 6:05 pm
bikeriders who ride as if they think they are cars
what happened to bikes on side walks or at least on the side of the lane
its so dangerous

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 6:07 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
bikeriders who ride as if they think they are cars
what happened to bikes on side walks or at least on the side of the lane
its so dangerous

Where I live cyclists are not permitted on sidewalks.

suremom

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 6:08 pm
DrMom wrote:
I assume this is intended to be satirical.

Not when going on and on....

suremom

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 6:14 pm
If you were going to drop a door on them, not dropping it is not doing them a favor. If you are opening the door for them instead of letting them open the door themselves, you are choosing to initiate an interaction with someone who never asked to start one with you. If someone ignores you, they are strongly hinting that they wanted to be left alone the whole time and you should just leave people alone when they want to be left alone.

This.is.so.screwed.up.

Its called basic chesed. If not dropping the door is nice, dropping the door is downright mean.

Emotional

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 6:16 pm
I've mentioned this in other similar threads.
When I'm speaking to an adult, in person or on the phone, and they allow their child (who's old enough to know better), to interrupt repeatedly about a non-urgent issue.
Either teach your kids to be respectful and not interrupt, or tell me that your kids need your attention and I will be happy to shmooze another time. I feel foolish when it's the fourth time I'm trying to finish the same sentence.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 6:24 pm
Ppl that start a sentence with "no offense but..." Punch
I have friend that says "I'm going to be rude now but I have to take the other line..."
If you think it's rude, don't do it! And if you do it, don't announce it's rude !!!

suremom

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 6:29 pm
When people put words into my mouth on how I feel.

'Thank you for xyz. I really liked abc.'
'oh, I see you didnt like def. Let us see how we can make it better'

Confused

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 6:32 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
I always call back numbers. I have people that are not saved in contacts as well as work related calls that I sometimes let go to voice mail prior to calling back. Yes sometimes it is a scammer but majority of the time it is an important call.
And NO I do NOT have a moment to spare

You call back people who did not leave you a voicemail? If it was important, or if they were expecting you to call back AND assuming you wouldn't recognize their number, they would leave a voicemail

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 7:03 pm
Amother Aquamarine, do you have any friends?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 7:31 pm
And my pet peeve is people who are infuriated at minor etiquette infractions. So you held open the door without getting a thank you- it's not like you made their dinner or changed their tire. Chill or you end up being the bad mannered one.

I do thank people holding doors and try to hold it open for others, but I find the whole thing so awkward. Maybe that's how another aquamarine feels.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 7:40 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
And my pet peeve is people who are infuriated at minor etiquette infractions. So you held open the door without getting a thank you- it's not like you made their dinner or changed their tire. Chill or you end up being the bad mannered one.

I do thank people holding doors and try to hold it open for others, but I find the whole thing so awkward. Maybe that's how another aquamarine feels.

Who's infuriated? The thread is about peeves, minor annoyances.

Can't imagine what's awkward about thanking someone who holds a door for you when your hands are full. Confused

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 7:41 pm
My pet peeve is posters who complain about a thread topic, rather than just moving on.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 7:48 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Who's infuriated? The thread is about peeves, minor annoyances.

Can't imagine what's awkward about thanking someone who holds a door for you when your hands are full. Confused

K not infuriated, but someone here said she wanted to slam the door on her. I know she really wouldn't but still... Also I've heard scathing comments from non Jews regarding things like that. I try, but I have ADD and can occasionally make mistakes.

groovy1224

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 8:00 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:

Lol no one used the word infuriated except you. But when you are holding the door for say, a woman pushing a stroller, and she walks through it as if it opened by magic it's pretty rude.

Of course, I forgot that it's 2019, and that literally (see what I did there?) everything is offensive to someone. So it could be that when she walks through the doors that I'm standing there holding open, what she's really saying is a big fat NO THANK YOU for taking away my RIGHT, my CHOICE, my EXPERIENCE of opening that door myself.

This site is so enlightening sometimes.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 8:04 pm
right so if bicyclists are not allowed on the sidewalk then they should please stay as near the curb as possible rather than blocking traffic or otherwise creating a dangerous situation

Optione

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 8:21 pm
When a driver leaves on a blinker with no intention to turn or switch lanes.
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette