Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Salaried Employees - questions about sick/vacation days
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 8:58 pm
I'm up for a raise now and I want to ask to be paid a salary, until now I've always been paid hourly. As of now there is only one salaried employee at my company, and she doesn't have a set number of sick/vacation days. It worked out for a while, but lately she's been taking off a lot and my boss is getting very upset. I want to start out with a clearly defined agreement about days off so we don't end up with any issues down the line. Only problem is that I don't know what to ask for.

What is a reasonable amount of sick days and vacation days to ask for?
How does it work if you don't use your sick or vacation days, do you get reimbursed at the end of the year?
It's a frum company and we're closed chol hamoed, does that mean I lose all my vacation days between Sukkos and Pesach?
What happens if you take off for an hour or two for an appointment, do you deduct that hour or add up all your hours off and eventually deduct a full day? Or does that get ignored as long as you don't do it too often?

I know everyone will have different answers, but I want to have some idea of what's reasonable to ask for.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 9:02 pm
I work in a corporate environment. 2 weeks vacation and 3 sick days is standard. 3 weeks vacation after the 5th year. Paid YT which is another 14 days. Not paid chol hamoed. Most legal holidays we are open but off another 2 legal holidays. It all adds up.
At my firm we can roll over up to 2 weeks vacation at the end of each year. Anything more than that gets lost.

At another place I received 1 week vacation and fully paid YT including chol hamoed so it was similar because another 2 weeks off for chol hamoed. There was no rollover of vacation.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 9:05 pm
Every company is different. I’ve worked for places that gave off and paid all legal holidays and Jewish holidays including chol hamoed and we had 5 days paid vacation and 5 sick/ personal days .

In another place it was 7 days paid vacation, paid legal holidays and yom Tov as well as child hamoed but we needed to work at least one day chol hamoed to get paid for the rest of yom tov. If we didn’t we didn’t get paid.

In another place we were off erev yom tov, yom tov and legal holidays and they were paid days off. We were allowed 7 days paid vacation .

In another place we were not paid for yom tov and we were not paid for vacation or off days but were allowed to take off when we needed to.

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 9:24 pm
I work for a large company the US. Starting employees earn about four weeks of paid time off (PTO) the first year, with a small increase every few years, maxing out at about 6-7 weeks off per year. This includes sick time, vacation and legal holidays. I use PTO for Jewish holidays. Salaried workers take PTO in full-day increments. If you take off an hour or two for an appointment, it is not deducted from your pay; however, to get your job done you are expected to work as long as necessary at other times so it evens out. There is a set policy for how much PTO you can roll over from one year to the next, but I never save that much as I use most of it for chagim. There is a cash-out option. A previous employer had a use-it-or-lose-it policy so there was no roll-over. Sorry, I don't know what "frum companies" do, but this amount of time off is typical for regular workers (not executives) in the corporate setting.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 9:40 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I work for a large company the US. Starting employees earn about four weeks of paid time off (PTO) the first year, with a small increase every few years, maxing out at about 6-7 weeks off per year. This includes sick time, vacation and legal holidays. I use PTO for Jewish holidays. Salaried workers take PTO in full-day increments. If you take off an hour or two for an appointment, it is not deducted from your pay; however, to get your job done you are expected to work as long as necessary at other times so it evens out. There is a set policy for how much PTO you can roll over from one year to the next, but I never save that much as I use most of it for chagim. There is a cash-out option. A previous employer had a use-it-or-lose-it policy so there was no roll-over. Sorry, I don't know what "frum companies" do, but this amount of time off is typical for regular workers (not executives) in the corporate setting.

Pretty much the same. (Do we work for the same company- the legal holidays is the flag-You in health care?)

I'm in a very very large, publicly traded company with multiple branches and in many different countries?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 10:24 pm
Thanks everyone, this is what I was afraid of, that every company does something different. I have to think about this a little and try to figure it out.

Separate question, I was originally hired as a secretary, but by now my job has grown so that I'm really the office manager without the title. Is there any benefit to have my title changed to office manager? Does it matter that it's a small company and there's only one employee who I supervise?

I'm afraid my boss will think it's stupid that I'm asking to have my title changed. So I want to know if there's any real benefit to having the actual title.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 10:33 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone, this is what I was afraid of, that every company does something different. I have to think about this a little and try to figure it out.

Separate question, I was originally hired as a secretary, but by now my job has grown so that I'm really the office manager without the title. Is there any benefit to have my title changed to office manager? Does it matter that it's a small company and there's only one employee who I supervise?

I'm afraid my boss will think it's stupid that I'm asking to have my title changed. So I want to know if there's any real benefit to having the actual title.

It’s reasonable for you to review with your boss what your current role is functionally so he’s reminded of the value you are bringing to the company. It helps him understand your raise request.

Are you full time?

Amarante

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 11:30 pm
Yes there is a benefit in being called Office Manager because it looks better on your resume. Of course in your resume you would stress your the actual jobs you performed. A secretary implies someone who takes orders versus a Manager who is in charge and supervises projects.

In terms of switching from hourly to salaried, make sure you are not being cheated. You can wind up being paid less for the same work if the hours you would have been paid for on an hourly basis turn out to be more than your salary.

Regarding vacation/sick days, the best thing to to is just ask for paid time off so that you don't have to justify why you need to take time off.

I don't think the size of the company matters necessarily since OP is clearly a trusted and vital and productive part of the company. I would ask for three weeks (I.e. 15 days of PTO) which is pretty normal - e.g. two weeks vacation and five days sick leave but with PTO you don't have to pretend you are sick :-). Ask for an additional five days after a certain period of time which would be four weeks in total.

Generally you are allowed to accrue your vacation and especially your sick time up to a certain point. It is actually very good business practice to "force" people to take vacation. While I am sure OP is a completely honest person, I have worked in companies where theft was discovered when someone in finance was on vacation and their temporary person accidentally stumbled on the fraudulent accounts.

ETA - And legal holidays or the equivalent are generally in addition to vacation and sick days. In my experience office workers generally have about 10 although some places effectively now close down for the week between Xmas and New Year and also give an extra day when legal holidays fall on Thursday or Tuesday.

Last edited by Amarante on Mon, Sep 23 2019, 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 11:45 pm
20 days paid time off
13 days sick time
10 legal holidays

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 12:13 am
I work non Jewish company.
Start - 13 vacation + 5 sick.
5 legal holiday
You get number of days based on when you start. (Like 2 days per month)
Every 5 years you earn 5 more days up to 28.
A maximum of 5 days can be carried over. Used to be had to use within 3 months but a new nj law extends that the whole year.
If you don’t use days you just lose them.
Sick days can be used for you or child or dr appts. Can’t be used for vacation (I’ve gotten permission to use for Yom Tov).
In the past 100% of my vacation days went to yom I’m tov I’m bH now I can take off Yom Tov and chol hamoed without worrying. But not much more.
Taking 2 hrs off for appt is typically ok if salaried. Just clear it with boss first if not too often. If 4 hours I take 1/2 sick day.

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 8:19 am
When I worked for a large company and was salaried we didn't have sick/vacation time only PTO. We started with 10 days and it increased after 3 and 5 years to a total of 15 days. I believe up to 5 can be rolled over to the next year. We also got 5 holidays (originally legal holidays but then changed to floating holidays). This was helpful as the company was open on YT and chol hamoed so I needed vacation time for that. It was actually required that I work part of chol hamoed (the beauty of working for frum, they know where they can squeeze you).
As far as being salaried- I was told that tif I clocked in for the day I got paid if I didn't come in I didn't. So if I left early I was paid for the full day but if I stayed late I didn't get extra. And my supervisor looked at my overall hours at the end of a few months and a year and have me a hard time if it was working in my favor....
As far as your job title, it's good for you to have the acknowledgement and credit for the work you do and your job title should reflect that. It helps solidify your worth to the company to your boss when requesting a raise and is valuable on a resume when you move on (otherwise you may seem like you are just trying to glorify your position).
Good luck!!

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 8:53 am
The answers will also depend on the country ppl live in. I'm in Europe. We have 6 weeks vacation per year and as many sick days as one is sick. We have a woman working here who has had a mental break down and she's been sick for 14 months. She still gets her full salary. I don't understand how one can know how many sick days one will need?
Some years you'll need 7 and some years maybe chasve shalom 90.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 8:57 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
The answers will also depend on the country ppl live in. I'm in Europe. We have 6 weeks vacation per year and as many sick days as one is sick. We have a woman working here who has had a mental break down and she's been sick for 14 months. She still gets her full salary. I don't understand how one can know how many sick days one will need?
Some years you'll need 7 and some years maybe chasve shalom 90.

Ah, not the US.
You also (I believe) get maternity/paternity and child care that we can only fantasize about.

I so generously have the potential, after many years, to reach a total of 30 days- inclusive of vacation, sick, and legal holidays!!! Days that I am forced to take come from those days as well -xmas and when we were closed for snow).
As I am salaried, overtime is donated, but make sure that you don't take any time from the company. If you have an appointment, make up the time or take 1/2 a day. It is a good thing I like my coworker's and love what I do!

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 9:12 am
I work for a state institution and have a lot of paid time off, so I don't think my particulars would apply to you. However, based on experience in corporate, secular environments, I would advise:

*Ask for a pool of PTO (paid time off) days to cover vacation and sick days in a single group. While the total number of days might be slightly smaller than the total if vacation and sick were separate, you have a lot more flexibility. In my experience and observation, people don't use their sick days and they lose them.

*If you have separate pools for vacation and sick, make sure you understand if sick days can used for scheduled medical appointments, caring for household members, etc. This should be clarified in advance.

*Secular employers pay for legal holidays, and you need to use vacation for yomtov. If you work for a frum company, I'd assume they treat yomtov in this same way, though not chol hamoed.

*See if you can get a few days deposited into your bank as a lump on a set day of the year, and then the rest accrue. That way you don't have to worry about having enough days when your PTO year begins, if you need to take time off shortly after that. For example, if you get 20 days of PTO, see if you can be given 5 of them on July 1, for example, and the rest of them accrue on the first of each month, or something like that.

*Many companies have a use-it-or-lose-it policy for sick days, and limit the number of vacation or PTO days you can roll over year to year.
[]

mommyhood

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 9:31 am
I've worked for frum companies and the standard entry level in my experience is around 2 weeks PTO. Since you're not entry level I would ask for yontif/chol hamoed paid plus 3 weeks PTO.
Reimbursement for unused vacation days is not standard I would not ask for that. Even big companies don't usually have that policy. You can usually carry over some days which you can use for the next year.
Taking an hour off here or there should not count towards your PTO. You definitely do not want to take advantage of this.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 9:44 am
I work for the US government. Starting is 13 vacation, 13 sick and 10 legal holidays. Over time you get more days capping at 26 vacation, 13 sick, and 10 legal holidays.

You can carry over unlimited sick days (which can be for yourself, family or appointments). Vacation you can carry over 30 days from year to year.

I don't specifically get off any days for yom tov, but I can either use my vacation or make up time with a set amount of time before or after that you can work extra.

Everything we do is in increments of 15 minutes. So if I come in 1 hour late for a doctors appointment I use one hour of my sick leave.

There is no maternity leave. They save your job, but you don't get paid. You can use your vacation and sick leave if you have. You can request people donate their leave to you. Or you can go without pay.

suzyq

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 10:31 am
I have worked for small, medium and now a very large company (all non-jewish). I have found average is about 4 weeks (20 days) of PTO - that includes vacation and sick days, plus 8-9 holidays (like X-mas, New Years, 4th of July, plus a couple floaters). If your company is already closed and you are getting paid for Jewish holidays, I would expect about 2 weeks additional vacation time. I am a salaried employee, so if I have to come in a bit early or leave a little late, my company doesn't penalize us (I'm not on the clock) but if I have to be out for a half-day or more, I do have to count it as PTO.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 10:53 am
I work in NYC in a corporate environment.
We have 10 personal days - (officially it's 5 sick days and 5 vacation days, but they don't ask) differentiate)
We get off for 7 legal holidays and Yom Tov. (This year it comes out to 16 paid holidays including Yom tov)
We are open Purim and Chol Hamoed, etc. (You can use PTO for that)

You don't automatically get more vacation days if your there longer, although people do work it out in their yearly review.

We get all our days on January 1st.

Vacation days do NOT roll over, they have a use it or lose it policy (lots of people take off the last week of the year Smile )

krembo

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 10:41 pm
At my job, you start with 10 PTO days and 10 sick days. Legal holidays there are around 7. The longer you work there, the more PTO you get. If you take off an hour or two for appointments it’s taken out of PTO.

Bleemee

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 10:56 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:

*See if you can get a few days deposited into your bank as a lump on a set day of the year, and then the rest accrue. That way you don't have to worry about having enough days when your PTO year begins, if you need to take time off shortly after that. For example, if you get 20 days of PTO, see if you can be given 5 of them on July 1, for example, and the rest of them accrue on the first of each month, or something like that
[]

Can you please explain this point?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics