Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Using oven on Yom Tov

Ella1

Post Mon, Sep 23 2019, 11:32 pm
I'm considering using my oven on Yom Tov and need some advice. I've never left my oven on before...
My oven has a Sabbath mode feature, so that means I can open and close the oven whenever I need to without concern halachically, true?
Is it realistic to plan on baking the day meals the morning of?
I know everyone's household works differently and all, but I'd like to hear how it works for you...and any helpful advice...
TIA!

s c

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 4:11 am
I leave my oven on over yom tov but only on low light for slow reheating. If I leave it on high enough to cook then food tends to burn quickly when reheating so it doesnt really work for me to cook from fresh on ym tov.

momomany

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 5:13 am
Ask your rabbi regarding usage of your particular oven. I leave me ovens on 250 for warming. No fresh baking

Twinster

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 7:32 am
We leave it on low throughout YT so I don’t have to worry about food overcooking or burning.

Just remember to disable the 12-hr shutoff, if it’s on now.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 7:59 am
My oven has a Sabbath mode feature, so that means I can open and close the oven whenever I need to without concern halachically, true?
True. I think everyone (or almost everyone) holds that way.

Is it realistic to plan on baking the day meals the morning of?
Star-K says you can raise or lower the temp but others say you cannot adjust the temperature, so ask your LOR.

A few gas ovens with no computer components or digital readouts can have their temps changed easily and do not need a Sabbath mode. This category includes some very high end and very low end ovens. I own an oven like this and sometimes roast some chicken or do other real cooking in the oven on Yom Tov.

cbg

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 8:16 am
Just remember allthus refers to YT
NOTshabbat even though it’s called
SABBATH MODE.

My LOR allows me to raise and lower for cooking
BUT not to lower before I go to sleep to keep the house cool

Also- if I need it on high for any particular dish it takes a long time to get to temp

Teomima

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 8:29 am
I have a nice old stupid oven that I plug into a shabbat timer, so it turns on and off as needed. I can switch temperatures when it's off (just a dial, there's no buttons/computer/digital anything) so I have it go on in the evening, at a low temp, for heating meals, and in the morning at a higher one for cooking lunch. We've definitely baked the morning of and been fine, but only for lunch meals. Suppers I find it easier to have prepared in advance.

So, in short, opening doors and cooking the day of is fine (assuming it works with your individual oven setting options).

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 8:36 am
cbg wrote:
Just remember allthus refers to YT
NOTshabbat even though it’s called
SABBATH MODE.

My LOR allows me to raise and lower for cooking
BUT not to lower before I go to sleep to keep the house cool

Also- if I need it on high for any particular dish it takes a long time to get to temp

Right. So I always plan to need to put something in that needs a nice low temperature after I cook, so that I can lower the temperature.

I try to get most of my cooking done in advance, so that my chag doesn't work out as shul-cook-eat-cook-eat-sleep-lather-rinse-repeat. But it does happen.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 8:45 am
If you leave it at 250 you can still slow cook at that temperature. It takes 5 hours for chicken, 7-8 for cut meat and potatoes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics