Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
First grader having a hard time
Previous  1  2

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:05 am
I think that's good for now. This really may be beginning transition issues. First grade is a huge leap into longer days, more work, and acting out is actually not out of the realm of normal as he adjusts. If this is still happening in November (after being back consistently from Y"T break), then you can re-evaluate if more steps are needed. Give it a little time for now.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 5:07 pm
I teach first graders too.
I agree that biting is not normal behaviour , that being said: 2 weeks into the term a boy bit another boy on monday.
what did we (th school/the team) do?

we adressed to the entire class that we have classroom rules etc. the child specifically was NOT metioned, he incident was GENERALISED: we all like to come to school happy, buy yossi isnt very happy today because he got hurt. we must make sure to make EVERYONE feel welcome, so please think before you act and lets support each other.

the boy who bit was HELPED by a seocnd teacher sitting close to him, encourigigng him to work etc.

we brought it up in a meeting with coteachers and the principal. we decided to talk to the parents.

NOONE WAS LABELED after 2 weeks and a bad day.

btw. he understands that biting is wrong he apologised andwe all smile now we move on.

(the child does need help, we will eventually suggest ergotherapy after yomim tovim, we will suggest a training for his graphomotorics etc...but we WILL NOT OVERWHELM HIS PARENTS NOW b4 rosh hashono, they have 2 babies and other problmes. we want them to have an easy transition to school, no stress. )

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 11:56 am
Bumping up, because he's still having a hard time. He hasn't had any more incidents with classmates, but he just keeps acting up in the afternoons, and he's still very unhappy about the workload.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 1:15 pm
Don't have any advice but I have a first grader who tells me every single morning that he doesn't want to go to school. Sad
He doesn't like english, the day is too long....
I bribe him with a yummy snack for the afternoon! He goes but he's not happy about it!

groovy1224

Post Tue, Nov 12 2019, 1:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bumping up, because he's still having a hard time. He hasn't had any more incidents with classmates, but he just keeps acting up in the afternoons, and he's still very unhappy about the workload.

When are the breaks that they are giving him? Maybe they're too early in the day? can he get more breaks in the afternoon when he seems to need them most? Then they can phase the breaks out or just decrease them as the year goes on.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children