Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Is it strange to give cookies or the like to DC bus driver?

applesbananas

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:24 am
my DD bus drivers both really go the extra mile. Compliments and smiles, playing music and just overall keeping her in a good mood everyday to and from school. I really really appreciate it and its just the beginning of the year but id like to show it. They arent jewish, is it odd to give honey cookies wrapped up on Friday? Any other ideas?

r1

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:27 am
applesbananas wrote:
my DD bus drivers both really go the extra mile. Compliments and smiles, playing music and just overall keeping her in a good mood everyday to and from school. I really really appreciate it and its just the beginning of the year but id like to show it. They arent jewish, is it odd to give honey cookies wrapped up on Friday? Any other ideas?

Not odd at all. I write happy sweet Jewish new year! On small boxes with honey cupcakes.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:30 am
Very, imo

polka dots

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:42 am
Who doesn’t love to be appreciated? Cookies or a box of chocolates... with a little thank you note. I wouldn’t make it about tom tov, just a general thank you gesture.

keym

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:48 am
My Rav holds that I shouldn't give Xmas/New Year's gifts. So I do Jewish New Year and Chanukah. I give honey cookies to my bus drivers, mailman, garbage collectors, etc. They appreciate it very much.
They know I'm Jewish so obviously I'm celebrating the Jewish New Year.

applesbananas

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:53 am
Ruchel wrote:
Very, imo

Lol ruchel Very Happy tell me how u really feel

applesbananas

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:53 am
TY everyone. I think I will do it...

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:02 am
Not weird at all - in the card explain Sweet Jewish New Year. But get a box/packaged food.
It can even be munchkins from Dunking Donuts for a sweet year. It is thoughtful and will be appreciated.
I would not do home baked-there is an ick/cleanliness/gross factor (not Kashrut in this case). I don't like when things are not packaged and from people's homes. Save your self the work and purchase something small and pre-packaged.

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:12 am
Not odd at all - would you be offended if someone gave you a token of appreciation on a day that was meaningful to that person?

I don't think people are ever offended by gestures which reflect appreciation for the other person.

I also believe in acts of appreciation when there isn't an occasion - no reason not to give cookies to a bus driver on a "non-occasion" either or any other person who regularly performs services for you or even just because Very Happy Random acts of kindness make the world a nicer place IMO of course. Very Happy

ddmom

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:12 am
BatyaEsther wrote:
Not weird at all - in the card explain Sweet Jewish New Year. But get a box/packaged food.
It can even be munchkins from Dunking Donuts for a sweet year. It is thoughtful and will be appreciated.
I would not do home baked-there is an ick/cleanliness/gross factor (not Kashrut in this case). I don't like when things are not packaged and from people's homes. Save your self the work and purchase something small and pre-packaged.

This!!!
Pre packaged food only!!!
I was told to avoid home baked goods for safety reasons, if the bus driver gets a major stomach virus the day after you don't want him to think your cookies did it!
But it's a beautiful idea! Write a card to go along!!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 11:17 am
applesbananas wrote:
Lol ruchel Very Happy tell me how u really feel

Like I write. But you do what you want

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 1:39 pm
Thoughtful, not odd. If they were Jewish I’d davka not give homemade goods because why should they trust my kashrut? But kashrut not being an issue, this is a very nice gesture. Even if they don’t eat it, it’s the idea that you thought of them.

watergirl

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 1:45 pm
I think its always wonderful to give gifts! Go for it!

I would not give something like honey cookies. These are a Jewish seasonal thing and I would even say that most people would not like them unless it was a "thing" to eat foods made with honey. I have non-Jewish co-workers and while of course I very much appreciate the kindness that one of them shows, I do not want to eat the holiday cookies she brings me. Forget the treif aspect - gingerbread is not my taste and I imagine that and fruitcake for their holiday season are like our honey cake... a certain appreciation for it required.

I would go with a store bought neutral treat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics