Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
One year old keeps getting sick
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 8:51 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Had he been checked for posterior tongue tie? Common cause of fluid build up in the ear and subsequent ear infections. Since the tongue is tethered too tightly, it can’t push as strongly against the palate when swallowing, and this pressure that is created (or lack of pressure) affects the clearing of fluid from the ears.
. No. Is it something I can see?

apples1

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:05 pm
Try kyolik garlic. It really really works. Check recommended dosage. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....85306

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:29 pm
Do you live in a basement?
We did, and our son was getting sick every other week- he even got pneumonia. Once we moved to an above ground house, he stopped getting sick.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:32 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
My boys had constant ear infections. We discovered it was related to food allergies. We tested and they were allergic to dairy and eggs. As soon as I stopped eating anything that had those foods (I was nursing) and they stopped eating those foods, the ear infections stopped.

This. My doctor also works with us by eliminating allergies from diet. This can be by testing for allergies and by bloodwork (IGE -which foods that are in his diet that are high). When my son was taken off dairy and eggs he stopped getting a runny nose and he stopped getting sick as often. Allergies are not always in the form of hives and rashes. They often cause extra fluid/mucus which leads to ear infections.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:38 pm
This is out of curiosity. Were you on strep group B abx while delivering him?

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:44 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
This is out of curiosity. Were you on strep group B abx while delivering him?

What does that have to do with anything?

Op, please try limiting dairy. hard cheese aren't as bad as leben, milk and yogurt.
Give it 3 weeks.
Kids that are allergic to dairy are often bad eaters. Oftentimes once they get detoxified from the dairy, their apatite improves.

And amother taupe, my kid's were like this tull I eliminated dairy from their diet..... and I was group b strep negative by one. And the other was a c-section baby.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
. No. Is it something I can see?

You’d be able to easily see an anterior tie (a tie that tethers the front of the tongue), but not a posterior. It is commonly missed by professionals who are not trained in tongue tie. I would go to an SLP who specializes in ties (many do NOT) because she can evaluate to see if the tie is affecting function or not (swallowing, eating, speech). She can likely then refer you to a pediatric dentist or ENT who also specializes in ties, if warranted.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:55 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
What does that have to do with anything?

Op, please try limiting dairy. hard cheese aren't as bad as leben, milk and yogurt.
Give it 3 weeks.
Kids that are allergic to dairy are often bad eaters. Oftentimes once they get detoxified from the dairy, their apatite improves.

And amother taupe, my kid's were like this tull I eliminated dairy from their diet..... and I was group b strep negative by one. And the other was a c-section baby.

Bc I was with my first who was sick for a year. Constant low grade fever, always coughing etc til at least 18m. I did a lot of reading (there's not much on this) and read a study that babies born on abx have ruined gut microbiome and it takes about a year to reestablish itself.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:25 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Do you live in a basement?
We did, and our son was getting sick every other week- he even got pneumonia. Once we moved to an above ground house, he stopped getting sick.

Yes sounds like mold exposure.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:33 pm
I don’t live in a basement and haven’t had any floods or leaks. I keep hearing about dairy and I’ve tried it once or twice but it’s so hard to get him to eat that I always gave up. I really should just get him tested instead of starving him without having concrete proof that it’s warranted.

I was not on antibiotics when I had him.

dankbar

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:37 pm
Check his blood counts

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t live in a basement and haven’t had any floods or leaks. I keep hearing about dairy and I’ve tried it once or twice but it’s so hard to get him to eat that I always gave up. I really should just get him tested instead of starving him without having concrete proof that it’s warranted.

The gold standard for testing is the elimination diet. It’s definitely worth a try to go off dairy again! It helps so many. So much of the dairy today is so inflammatory. I’d say the 2 next steps to try would be eliminate dairy and schedule an appointment to rule out tongue tie.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:46 pm
There are plenty dairy substitutes out there. Soy, almond, rice, or coconut milks. Non dairy yogurts and cream cheese and hard cheese. It's daunting at first but really doable.
You need to give it 2-3 weeks of complete dairy elimination. It takes that long for the body to clear out all remnants.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 10:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Dairy can be causing excess mucus and inflammation even if he doesn't have a true systemic allergy. Testing may or may not give you more information, but cutting it from his diet will. If it's making up such a larger portion of his diet it's very likely impacting him negatively, considering his medical history.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 12:01 am
Refuah Shelemah.
I hope this New Year brings him good health.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 7:56 am
Probiotics and multivitamins – the good ones! Also, get the Dr. to check him out.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 8:38 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Bc I was with my first who was sick for a year. Constant low grade fever, always coughing etc til at least 18m. I did a lot of reading (there's not much on this) and read a study that babies born on abx have ruined gut microbiome and it takes about a year to reestablish itself.

Wow, I never thought about that, but it makes a ton of sense! We really should hear about these things more.

OP, check all around your house for hidden mold. You can hire an inspector to really check in places you wouldn't be able to see easily. I bought a house once, and it had a tiny leak in the roof. I fixed the roof, and then checked the wall. The entire space between the sheetrock was solid BLACK! I had to do a complete tear out and rebuild, treat the wood, and do it all in masks and paper coveralls. I had the windows open for weeks while we were doing the work. The only way you'd have ever known that there was mold there, was a tiny bit of paint that had bubbled up near the ceiling.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 8:51 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Dairy can be causing excess mucus and inflammation even if he doesn't have a true systemic allergy. Testing may or may not give you more information, but cutting it from his diet will. If it's making up such a larger portion of his diet it's very likely impacting him negatively, considering his medical history.
He won't starve. Chances are within 3 days of cutting completely his taste will expand and you'll find him more willing to try other things. Dairy is addictive that way, and children tend to restrict themselves to addictive foods.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 8:53 am
dankbar wrote:
Check his blood counts
peripheral blood counts won't tell you much regarding immune function but a full immune workup might

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 8:55 am
Oh, there is also a lot that can be done with food to strengthen the immune system – fresh garlic comes to mind, but I know there is more!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics