Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Who here remembers the early days of Imamother?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

pause

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 11:42 pm
I haven't been here as long as some of you, but those were still the days of the chatroom and Freidasima and Seraph and many others.

marina

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 11:48 pm
I was here from the start but forgot my previous usernames lol Iā€™m sure some others remember

sky

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 12:36 am
I think 2008 while researching double strollers. Just threw that stroller out. Smile

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 1:22 am
Me. I think I joined in 2006. My neighbor told me about it. She was very, very active. We both ended up moving to different cities, so we lost touch. I don't think she is here anymore (or if she is, under a different name).

I don't remember the one from New Zealand with the ABC buggy, but I remember ewa-jo, tefilla, rosegold, crayon, motek, yesha settler, shallhevet, chocolate moose (who before that was sara something, I think), chavamom. wasn't there someone also chavelemomalah? Or something like that. I think the woman who owns the Shirtstop started her business through this site-- it was just her selling boys pants in her basement 10 years ago.

Also, when my son was 1.5 I bought a really cute personalized "al nitilas yadaim" cup from someone who sold them from her house in Crown Heights and she shipped it to me. that was a long time ago.... I think her name was Fraida.

Oh, and there was also BatyaD, mimsy, and queen. Also-- anyone remember DefyGravity? Atali or Atari or something-- her husband was Austrailan. BinahYetira, too. there was someone named Shayna from Pittsburg, and a woman who's username was Minivan or something like that.

Remember the advisors?

I learned about the HaKol B'seder hotline from this site. I don't think the hotline is around anymore.

grace413

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 1:27 am
I've been here since 2005.

Learned a lot about all kinds of things, people different from me, great recipes and unfortunately sometimes how people can be really nasty.

I think Ima is a great resource and very grateful to Yael for starting it.

clowny

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 1:30 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
For the newer ones here, what is the chat you are all talking about?

There used to be a chatroom where you were able to have a live chat with whoever entered the chatroom.
Every time somebody typed your sn it made a beeping sound.
Who remembers the meow sound you were able to make in that chatroom?? Lol!!
Memories....

Einikel

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 1:33 am
clowny wrote:
There used to be a chatroom where you were able to have a live chat with whoever entered the chatroom.
Every time somebody typed your sn it made a beeping sound.
Who remembers the meow sound you were able to make in that chatroom?? Lol!!
Memories....

Curious why was it stopped?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:24 am
I've "only" been here for 10 years, and when I see threads from further back it makes me wish I knew some of the posters. They seem like really wise or funny people.

I found out about this site because Marina mentioned it in one of her LiveJournal comments, and I got curious. I was just a baby-Frummie back then, and I'd been searching for a community I could hang out in.

The rest is history! Very Happy

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 2:37 am
Firebrick, I think her SN was mimivan.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 3:43 am
Also Roza, Freilich, Chen...

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 4:15 am
DrMom wrote:
I remember the camp thread. Not sure how long ago that was...
I was curious, so I went looking for it Wink
It was in 2011 (https://www.imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155115) So many posters in that thread that are no longer here.

Ive been here since 2005. Its very different now. I found this site a month after I got married. Its been a long and interesting road this site Smile

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 5:34 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
So interesting! I wonder why that is...

I think many old time chassidish posters left after the citifield asifah.

professor

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 5:38 am
When did it start?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 6:24 am
Quote:
Remember we used to post our actual text in different colors as amother so we could distinguish ourselves from each other?

I had totally forgotten about that! Yes! What a blast from the past. Very Happy

I remember I was always scared to post private stuff anon during less busy times of the day. On the page where you can see who's on the site, it would sometimes be like fewer than 5 people, so I was paranoid that people would figure out it was me. Now there's usually hundreds of people on.

Chat was fun. People really shared themselves and reached out to others.

I remember there being tons of Lubavitchers here and at a certain point a lot of them left. I don't remember why though?

Someone asked if I'm from Scranton or Baltimore - nope!

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 6:24 am
professor wrote:
When did it start?

I think 2004

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 6:32 am
I was also just thinking that it's funny how certain thread topics still catch my eye, it's 15 years but still anytime someone posts asking about how to get their house organized because it's a wreck and they don't know how to manage, I open it up with hopes that finally I'll get the tip that will make my house magically perfect! I already know exactly what people are going to post on the thread - someone will recommend Flylady, then someone will note that Flylady emails are spammy and annoying, then someone will suggest that hotline that's now kind of controversial because of vaccines - and there's going to inevitably be someone who posts that she doesn't understand how people can go to bed at night without doing dishes - but still I open those threads. Hope springs eternal!

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 6:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Quote:
Remember we used to post our actual text in different colors as amother so we could distinguish ourselves from each other?

I had totally forgotten about that! Yes! What a blast from the past. Very Happy

I remember I was always scared to post private stuff anon during less busy times of the day. On the page where you can see who's on the site, it would sometimes be like fewer than 5 people, so I was paranoid that people would figure out it was me. Now there's usually hundreds of people on.

Chat was fun. People really shared themselves and reached out to others.

I remember there being tons of Lubavitchers here and at a certain point a lot of them left. I don't remember why though?

Someone asked if I'm from Scranton or Baltimore - nope!

Yael is lubavtich, so a lot of early posters were. I think a lot of posters have moved to facebook. I am on a few very active chabad fb groups. (and recognise a lot of posters from here! also on non chabad groups)

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 6:46 am
Raisin wrote:
Yael is lubavtich, so a lot of early posters were. I think a lot of posters have moved to facebook. I am on a few very active chabad fb groups. (and recognise a lot of posters from here! also on non chabad groups)

How does it work when people move to a Facebook group? All of a sudden people aren't concerned about sharing their real life names? Or they somehow have aliases on Facebook? That's hard, because Facebook does not make it easy to set up a second account. They often ask for ID.

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 6:56 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
How does it work when people move to a Facebook group? All of a sudden people aren't concerned about sharing their real life names? Or they somehow have aliases on Facebook? That's hard, because Facebook does not make it easy to set up a second account. They often ask for ID.

I recognise people from Imamother on facebook. Some people I got to know in real life, or I already knew them, or I friended them on fb. (or their user name was very similar to thier real life name) They no longer post on imamother, but often are very active in fb groups. I am also active on fb groups but something about imamother is very riveting. I think the fact that people can be anonymous here makes a very big difference. Some fb groups allow anonymous posts but it is via a mod.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Sep 26 2019, 7:09 am
Raisin wrote:
I recognise people from Imamother on facebook. Some people I got to know in real life, or I already knew them, or I friended them on fb. (or their user name was very similar to thier real life name) They no longer post on imamother, but often are very active in fb groups. I am also active on fb groups but something about imamother is very riveting. I think the fact that people can be anonymous here makes a very big difference. Some fb groups allow anonymous posts but it is via a mod.

I used to belong to a mommy forum most of whose members were non Jewish. In a way, it was nice, because it afforded me an extra measure of privacy, since the chances of my meeting someone from that forum IRL were so small. (Thus, no need for amother, though many of us used to make up anonymous usernames sometimes anyway, to discuss a sensitive topic.) Over the last few years, the forum shrank. Many members moved to FB, almost all under their own names. I noticed that the FB group was much more boring. No major discussions about anything because no one wanted to insult anyone who had a real name. But no real loss, since political correctness had driven away so many people from the original forum in any case.

And yet, social media itself is incredibly inflamed. People insult each other all the time. It's crazy out there. So I don't know what the dynamics are that lead to some groups of people posting politely and dully, and some groups of people cursing each other out like sailors.

I belong to some groups on FB, but it is very different posting when you know your relatives or the rebbetzin of your shul or your kids' teachers can see what you are posting! I prefer the anonymity we have here.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics