Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
My baby keeps waking up to eat
Previous  1  2

tichellady

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 10:33 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
This was 25 yrs ago. LOL
But I use to feed the last bottle at 11:30/12
This way I got at least 5-6 hrs sleep

Also, I’m not sure how pediatricians feel about this today, so, please ask before doing this
PLEASE ASK BEFORE DOING THIS!!!
I was told to put a scoop full of cereal into the bottle to keep the baby full longer.
PLEASE ASK YOUR PEDIATRICIAN BEFORE DOING THIS!!!

This is not something recommended today

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 12:35 am
abaker wrote:
Forget the "should" rules for sure. My babies have eaten during the night until approx 18 months old. Always breastfeed which I know digests quicker, but it's very possible a 6 month old actually is hungry in the middle of the night, even on formula.

18 months?! Poor you!

So my babies did still wake at 6 months, but I started reducing the amount at a feeding, on at a time, till the feeding was eliminated.

For example: if 6 mo baby was waking 3x night and eating 3 oz each time, I would start putting 2.5 oz for last feeding for 3 nights, then 2 oz for 3 nights, etc till 1 ounce, then switch to water. After a few nights baby only went to 2 feeds, then 1, then none.

It's a method from "12 hrs by 12 weeks" (that didn't work for me, but eliminating the feeds did).

BH my babies were sleeping through the night at 7-8 months. I highly recommend it.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 12:43 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
18 months?! Poor you!

So my babies did still wake at 6 months, but I started reducing the amount at a feeding, on at a time, till the feeding was eliminated.

For example: if 6 mo baby was waking 3x night and eating 3 oz each time, I would start putting 2.5 oz for last feeding for 3 nights, then 2 oz for 3 nights, etc till 1 ounce, then switch to water. After a few nights baby only went to 2 feeds, then 1, then none.

It's a method from "12 hrs by 12 weeks" (that didn't work for me, but eliminating the feeds did).

BH my babies were sleeping through the night at 7-8 months. I highly recommend it.

Every single medical professional I have spoken to is against that method and that book. Words like "neglect" "dangerous" and "abuse" were used.
Babies wake up at night. They need to eat often. It's part of parenthood. Deal with it or hire someone who can.

amother
Amber

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 2:10 am
I know its hard, but I think 6 months totally, absolutely normal to wake up. Please don't rush life.
My 2.5 yr olds woke up to breastfeed (though I don't think its the food they are actually looking for.)

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 3:01 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Every single medical professional I have spoken to is against that method and that book. Words like "neglect" "dangerous" and "abuse" were used.
Babies wake up at night. They need to eat often. It's part of parenthood. Deal with it or hire someone who can.

This

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 5:48 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

My Ped actually recommended 12 hours by 12 weeks except for the 4 hours during the day part.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 6:08 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

Nope. Not my ped. At my 3 month visit she said, baby shouldn’t need to Be eating overnight anymore and we said, correct. She’s not.

nicole81

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 6:28 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
A 6 month old baby shouldn’t need to feed in middle of the night and is likey waking out of habit.

I did have one baby who woke up twice a night or more to eat a full feeding until exactly 1 year old. He preferred to eat smaller amounts throughout the day and night, no matter what I tried. I'm a fan of feeding babies when they wake, given a diaper isn't the issue, since they don't tend to overeat.

OP, I'd say go to your baby, offer a paci, some soothing noises and touch, and if s/he's still just as upset, go ahead and feed your baby! If s/he needs a full feeding, you have your answer. You can also start trying to add more to the daytime bottles to eliminate the night waking. A bottle of water at this age is definitely not appropriate.

If the baby plays with the bottle and doesn't really eat, then it's about wanting cuddles, attention, security, etc... which is completely understandable if you used to nurse! You can choose to cuddle and soothe for now, or to gradually try to scale back over a couple of weeks. This stage doesn't last forever, but the need for sleep is real.

banana123

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 8:26 am
nicole81 wrote:
I did have one baby who woke up twice a night or more to eat a full feeding until exactly 1 year old. He preferred to eat smaller amounts throughout the day and night, no matter what I tried. I'm a fan of feeding babies when they wake, given a diaper isn't the issue, since they don't tend to overeat.

OP, I'd say go to your baby, offer a paci, some soothing noises and touch, and if s/he's still just as upset, go ahead and feed your baby! If s/he needs a full feeding, you have your answer. You can also start trying to add more to the daytime bottles to eliminate the night waking. A bottle of water at this age is definitely not appropriate.

If the baby plays with the bottle and doesn't really eat, then it's about wanting cuddles, attention, security, etc... which is completely understandable if you used to nurse! You can choose to cuddle and soothe for now, or to gradually try to scale back over a couple of weeks. This stage doesn't last forever, but the need for sleep is real.

Baby's need for cuddles and attention is also real, especially if baby is in daycare during the day and shares attention with siblings during the afternoon and evening hours.

Babies need cuddles in order to develop emotionally and mentally.

nicole81

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 9:08 am
banana123 wrote:
Baby's need for cuddles and attention is also real, especially if baby is in daycare during the day and shares attention with siblings during the afternoon and evening hours.

Babies need cuddles in order to develop emotionally and mentally.

I completely agree with you, and no mom should feel guilty if she's reached the breaking point where her very basic need for sleep is more important to her and baby's overall well-being than a night of cuddles.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Oct 04 2019, 10:03 am
nicole81 wrote:
I completely agree with you, and no mom should feel guilty if she's reached the breaking point where her very basic need for sleep is more important to her and baby's overall well-being than a night of cuddles.

I think it needs to be said that a lot of daycare babies nurse more at night to make up for the cuddles and feedings they're not getting during the day.

If the baby is formula-fed anyways, mom and dad can take turns waking up for night feedings. Or perhaps a babysitter can be found for an afternoon or two a week so that mom can make up missed hours of sleep. Or maybe dad can let mom sleep four hours straight on Shabbat afternoon. Or maybe the parents can go to bed earlier so that even if baby wakes up three times in the night, they still get 6-7 hours of sleep (10-1, feeding till 2, 2-5, feeding till 6, 6-7, for example - and that's a gross exaggeration of how long feeding takes if you're not talking about a newborn). Or maybe each parent can do one nighttime feed, so that each gets 4-5 hours straight each night - mom does 1am, dad does 4am, for example.

I don't see a need or reason to completely deprive baby of his/her needs in order to allow mom uninterrupted sleep.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics