Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Nursing a newborn
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 2:34 am
Dreading making it through yom Kippur with a baby who is adjusted age of 2 weeks and just starting to nurse but exclusively . Any ideas / tips ? I was already told I can do shiurim is needed .

BA

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 2:52 am
drinking tons for 3 days leading up to the fast really helps!
as does drinking shiurim.
I've done both for yom kippur pending the needs of the baby and therefore the psak. you can also have formula on hand just in case to finish a feeding with an extra ounce to make sure the baby is full

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 3:28 am
You'll do great! Make sure you figure out what you will use for shiurim if needed, plain water is less ideal.

I exclusively nursed 2-month old twins on Yom Kippur, and I didn't even need shiurim.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 8:33 am
Generally drinking shiurim is enough to maintain your supply and feel comfortable enough to get through the day.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 9:22 am
Would you give bottles on yom kippur? I'm giving now one bottle a day so my baby should take bottles on yom kipper.
I've never heard of a nursing mother get a heter to do shuirim, women 3 days post partum have to fast.

sweet3

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 9:25 am
I have such bad memories of nursing my last baby on yom kipper that I am pumping a bottle a day to feed my newborn on yom kipper iyh. It took me a few days to get back to myself.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 9:27 am
sweet3 wrote:
I have such bad memories of nursing my last baby on yom kipper that I am pumping a bottle a day to feed my newborn on yom kipper iyh. It took me a few days to get back to myself.

This. Is it possible to pump and freeze to use as backup?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 5:42 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Would you give bottles on yom kippur? I'm giving now one bottle a day so my baby should take bottles on yom kipper.
I've never heard of a nursing mother get a heter to do shuirim, women 3 days post partum have to fast.

My baby can't digest formula , we haven't been able to find one he doesn't vomit .

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 5:43 pm
[quote="amother [ Pewter ]"]This. Is it possible to pump and freeze to use as backup?[/quote

I can try but I barely manage to make enough for him each day, I don't have any freezer stash .

mig100

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 6:00 pm
Im in similar position and also nerveous about fasting.

If I'd give mostly formula one day would it affect my milk supply assuming I'm not uncomfortable

tichellady

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 6:28 pm
I did shiurim with food and drink and was ok

rowo

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 8:21 am
I’ve never had such a young baby on y’k, but from my experience with nursing y’k itself is fine, sometimes the day after I feel it.
Stay in bed just resting and nursing if you need to. Making sure to drink lots before and after the fast.
If you have a heter for shiurim, use it, and don’t wait till you feel really bad, start the shiurim before you get to that stage, to prevent it. (Unless your rov told you otherwise of course)

Shuly

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 6:22 pm
Get the Kalei Tzom pills for nursing mothers. They really work.

jsb

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 10:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My baby can't digest formula , we haven't been able to find one he doesn't vomit .

Especially given those circumstances I would definitely talk to a rav. Hatzlacha rabba and Mazel Tov!!

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 10:21 pm
Can someone pls tell me how much is the shiurim?

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 11:06 pm
Shuirim are an ounce every 9 minutes.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 1:52 pm
jsb wrote:
Especially given those circumstances I would definitely talk to a rav. Hatzlacha rabba and Mazel Tov!!

We have spoken to a rav and because of all this he told me I can do shiurim and to just make sure to be on top of it so hopefully my supply won't dip too much . I am just worried because I have no back up if it dips, although maybe I can try to get donor milk again from the NICU. I am just afraid to have a miserable baby . Right now I am his only food source and doing everything under the sun that I can think of in guidance with lactation consultants (Gatorade, brewers yeast , fenugreek , lactation pills, trying to get some sleep, tons of hydration) to keep my supply enough but I still do barely enough with nursing and pumping about 8 times a day. Basically he nurses for a few minutes and then takes a bottle . He was a premie and doesn't have strength for nursing for a full meal yet but I am struggling to keep up with his appetite . Pumping is not as affective as nursing and it doesn't help that he has a weak suck.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 1:53 pm
Shuly wrote:
Get the Kalei Tzom pills for nursing mothers. They really work.

Last time I tried one it was my worst fast . Vomitting, migraine , the works . I don't know if it was that or the nursing but I am a little afraid to try again .

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 1:55 pm
mig100 wrote:

If I'd give mostly formula one day would it affect my milk supply assuming I'm not uncomfortable

I would guess that it would dip your supply for a day or 2 but so does fasting stam so I would give formula and nurse just for comfort if you have that option.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Sep 29 2019, 2:03 pm
mig100 wrote:

I had a brand new baby last YK and was very nervous. BH it all worked out. I was able to primarily nurse, but I did give a bottle of formula or two to help. I didn’t really want to introduce a bottle so early, but it was necessary given the timing. It didn’t affect my supply or his nursing after that.

OP, your situation is obviously very different. Please make sure to drink A LOT the few days before the fast (makes such a difference), rest as much as possible, and make sure to take those shiurim if that is your psak. See if someone can help watch older kids so you can rest more. Your baby needs you!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur