Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Paying housekeeper when she doesn't come

amother
OP

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 6:52 am
How do you handle paying your housekeeper on days like rosh hashana? Does she come and not do laundry or vacuum? If she doesn't come, do you still pay her in full, partial, or not at all? Thank you.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 7:27 am
I always have her come on YT. If I decide to give her off like if I go away I pay her because she didn't cancel on me, I canceled on her.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 7:31 am
Of I cancel on her, I pay her. If she cancels on me, I don't pay her.

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 7:32 am
No machines.
She helps set the table, prepare the meal, clean up after the meal, fold and put away laundry, babysit the kids

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 7:49 am
We pay what she does, generally we'll take another day

Fabulous

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 7:51 am
You also have to have things clearly spelled out. If I was home, I would have her and she did everything except vacuum and laundry. Tons of dishes and organizing and floors and bathrooms etc or I gave her the option of going somewhere else or not coming sometimes and if it was her choice- not get paid

SingALong

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 1:34 pm
I offered mine hours on Sunday and shortened hours Monday and Tuesday, just to wash and put away dishes and clean up dining room and kitchen. She wasn’t thrilled about it, the loss of hours.

tichellady

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 3:40 pm
Mine is coming and will watch my baby so I can go to shul and maybe tidy up and do dishes. If you cancel on her and she holds that time for you I would either pay her in full or see if you can give her another date/time instead.

amother
White

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 5:10 pm
Mine just got upset at me and quit. She came one day this week but I always pay her Friday (when she didn't cancel ...she cancelled every other time literally) and now she quit. Dh isn't thrilled about me paying her after she had been playing games so often.... Sad

happyone

Post Fri, Sep 27 2019, 5:14 pm
dhe helps with good prep, making beds, sweeping up. clearing etc.

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 8:58 pm
In Brooklyn I never took on yomtov and didn't pay for that. It didn't seem to bother her. I only had help twice a week. I can see it being different if you have someone every day.
Now I'm in Toms River and my lady wasn't happy when I told her not to come yomtov. I'm not sure if the norms are different here.

allthingsblue

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 10:49 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
Mine just got upset at me and quit. She came one day this week but I always pay her Friday (when she didn't cancel ...she cancelled every other time literally) and now she quit. Dh isn't thrilled about me paying her after she had been playing games so often.... Sad

Dh has no choice. Halacha is halcha. If she worked, she needs to be paid.

MiracleMama

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 11:09 pm
I am so thankful when housekeeper is here on YT. We have a lot of guests and she gets all the kitchen and dining room put back together, cleans the bathrooms used by guests, etc. I would never not want her to come. (But if I did chose to cancel her I would certainly feel obligated to pay her for the loss of work).

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 11:32 pm
I pay by the hour. She cancels on me often. She is aware that I will not need the same type of help on Jewish holidays. I only pay for the hours she works. Last Thursday I explained that next week will be different. I asked her if she can come to straighten up for 1 hour each day of yomtov. She didn’t want to and said it’s not worth it for her so I’m not paying her for those days.

nicole81

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 11:43 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I always have her come on YT. If I decide to give her off like if I go away I pay her because she didn't cancel on me, I canceled on her.

This. It's not right to take away someone's parnossah just because you don't need their services on a day they were relying on working and getting paid.

My babysitter/housekeeper likes extra days off to spend with her kids since she works full time by me, so I always tell her that I'm home on these days in case she wants to take off. But if she wants to come in, by all means she should.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Sep 28 2019, 11:57 pm
nicole81 wrote:
This. It's not right to take away someone's parnossah just because you don't need their services on a day they were relying on working and getting paid.

My babysitter/housekeeper likes extra days off to spend with her kids since she works full time by me, so I always tell her that I'm home on these days in case she wants to take off. But if she wants to come in, by all means she should.

When I had a full time housekeeper I did the same- she knew that she had the option of working and getting paid, or taking an unpaid vacation day. I never pressured her either way, and sometimes she chose to work and sometimes she chose to take a day off.

Either way, this is something I discuss before hiring someone, so there are no unpleasant surprises on either end. We travel a couple of times a year and I can't afford to pay fully for those times, so I make it clear before anyone starts working for me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics