Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Day Care
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

1stimer

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 12:27 pm
lucky, did the mother know? Would you tell the mother in that circumstance?

lucky

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 1:09 pm
The mother knew, but the convenience of having a babysitter next door was more important to her.

queen

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 1:56 pm
lucky wrote:
........but the convenience of having a babysitter next door was more important to her.

someone JUST told me- get that word out of your head, babies are just not convenient!!! Smile

(the above is being written in a good light, not complaining at all!!! but a perspective. Kids need us and our attention. Looking for convenient options is not always the best way to go.)

shoy18

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 3:22 pm
your right queen convient is not a word you use when talking about babies

happymom

Post Tue, Aug 30 2005, 4:11 pm
I feel bad for that baby.

raizy

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 10:12 pm
I work from home I opened a day care so I get a income yet I stay home with my babies. and the plus side is that my baby has instant company . I try to match at least one kid to his age. I have one kid who is 4 days older then my baby . now that is matched allright. but u cant all be so lucky as me...

but it is hard . everyone works this days. I dont know of anyone who stays home. at least in mtl it is only till 2 . do u know I had a baby who was 3 weeks old who started to come to me. now I have a 3 mth old.

what are this poor mothers thinking. the babies grow so fast in the 1st 3 yrs. enjoy every minete of it...

raizy

Post Thu, Sep 01 2005, 10:21 pm
I run a day care and let me tell u I hear everything that is going on. my [cleaner] told me she wished that I am in her neighborehood bc I am so good and she is scared to send her kids to day care bc u never know what the day care lady will do or wont do..

also if your baby is happy then it is a good sign that she is well taken care of.
if the baby is running backl to u that is also a good sign that she likes going to her day care.

I have a funny story here . one mother called me up one day and complained bc her kid that day ran back to me and didnt want to go home... !!! she liked my place better then her mother strollers. well I told this mother. how about picking her up and carrying her home. you havent seen your child in 5.5 hrs. .my hubby said the kid has a better time in my house then in her house. he is most proberly right.
I had anther kid who refused to go home every day. she liked my house better. what should I say she comes from a weird house and my house was much quiter and calm . and peaceful. and her house was a war zone. so not always is the child better of with the mother. sometimes a child thrives better in a good loving home day care. then in a war zone.....

happymom

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 12:05 am
Raizy, I agree with you that if the family is messed up, they need help. I guess a normal babysitter is better then a problem house....

lucky

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 8:05 am
THe local school where I live, provides on site babysitting for the teachers and staff.
The matzoh bakery also offers babysitting on site.

happymom

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 10:21 am
I was asked to be a helper in the babysitting program of one of the schools where I live. I thought that would be perfect because thats what Im looking for.... When I found out details I was shocked (well, not really knowing about day care...) There is ONE crib for SEVEN babies and I would be the second babysitter. There are hardly any toys and the room is FILTHY and tiny with no windows. Im sure this is an extreme case... but my point is not always is school babysitting good.... although it is a nice option for mothers who teach if the conditons are good and they have the right amount of babysitters for all those babies!

raizy

Post Fri, Sep 02 2005, 4:39 pm
is it legal . because in mtl they are very strict. u should see the day care center in scvere it is beatyful. they have two room full of window the whole hall is one big window so they can see both rooms at once. every child has there own crib and high chair . no sharing anything. everything has a name on it. enouch staff . I can go on and on. I once had to do a papeir for my college and I sure picked a good place.

Motek

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 9:49 pm
Yael wrote:
I cant stand it that almost every child over the age of 18 mo. is in day care. I kept levi home till this yr and he will be 3 soon. I'll tell you that he had no friends to play with during the day b/c all kids his age were in playgroup. but I dont regret my desision. I think he's a happy, secure and self confident kid b/c he's home with me and I'm able t give him the attention he needs

happymom, yael - you're doing the right thing and more power to you

happymom

Post Sun, Sep 04 2005, 9:57 pm
Thanks motek. It makes me really happy when people are aware of whats right... it makes me sad when I speak to people who arent ... so thanks:)

Motek

Post Mon, Sep 05 2005, 10:38 pm
you're welcome

and it's comments like these:

Quote:
Let's not put down mothers who send their kids to daycare. If that is the best choice for you- great.

that are disturbing

best choice for "you" meaning the mother? how about considering what is the best choice for the baby????

is there anybody who will say that a baby is BETTER OFF in daycare than with its own mother (talking about your average, normal person)?

amother

Post Mon, Sep 05 2005, 11:08 pm
Motek wrote:
is there anybody who will say that a baby is BETTER OFF in daycare than with its own mother (talking about your average, normal person)?

If a family can't afford food, clothing, and shelter for themselves and their child unless the mother works, then yes the baby is better off in daycare rather than impoverished and hungry and with it's own mother.

happymom

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 8:57 am
amother if that is the situation than youre right we cant judge. On the other hand its a good thing for parents to see if there are ways to make moneyn without leaving the baby. many times there are.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 6:03 pm
Quote:
amother if that is the situation than youre right we cant judge. On the other hand its a good thing for parents to see if there are ways to make moneyn without leaving the baby. many times there are.

Motek, most women I know work to put food on the table and pay the bills. This whole stay at home vs. working mom thing has been hashed and rehashed in many other threads.

Quote:
best choice for "you" meaning the mother? how about considering what is the best choice for the baby????

if you read the rest of my post, it is clear that I mean the best choice for you, the family unit. Most of the time it means what is best for the child, but sometimes it can also mean what is best for the parents, or best for the people who own the grocery stores or best for the teachers who teach in expensive jewish day schools.

Frankly, I'm really sick of the polarity expressed on this topic, in this forum and elsewhere. Either you are a working mom who is selfish, materialistic and neglectful or you are a stay at home mom who is lazy, eats bonbons all day on the couch and can't have an intelligent conversation on anything except diaper brands. Let's move beyond the cliches.
Instead of trying to bash one set of people or another, why don't we focus on why childcare in this country is so poor and what can be done about it. Why are the only people working in daycares ( by and large) underqualified, overworked and underpaid ?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 8:13 pm
(Different amother here.)

I usually don't feel hurt while reading threads, but here I must say it is not the case. I am working to keep my family eating while my husband finishes school. I want nothing more than to stay home with my baby, but that is not a possibility right now. I think it would be selfish of me to stay home with the baby and depend on others for help. It is not easy even to leave my baby with the sweetest of baby-sitters, but it's what I need to do for the good of the family. Please think before you write. It is very painful to be told that you are not being the best mother you can be.

*Also, some women need to spend time out of the house in order to function. I know that since starting to work, I cherish the time that I spend with my baby more than when I was spending all day at home. These women who need time to themselves should not be put down either.

happymom

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 8:33 pm
No one here said that IF YOU NEED THE MONEY you have to stay home. That isn't what this thread is about! This is about IF YOU HAVE THE CHOICE that being with your baby is best. If someone has a choice to be with their baby, or not and wants to know which one is better, obviously babies are happier with their parents!

No one said if you work you are a bad mother... I just find it strange when mothers send their babies to BAD daycares and do it because its "convenient", or cheaper then another one, and their babies are unhappy! I mean people whos priorities are themselves and NOT their babies.. thats what bothers me....

This whole working thing to make yourself feel better is a non jewish concept. It used to be woman stayed home to take care of the family, and men supported. Now its very different. Some woman think they MUST work to be happy. If doing whats best for you AND you baby was priority, people wouldnt be so quick to run to work when thier bbaies are only six weeks old!! I know many mothers who feel they must work and work from home because they want to be with their babies, which I think is great!!

Being a mother is NOT an easy job.. Its very hard staying home all day with a baby.... who says being a mother is easy? Thats why I think its important to get out once in a while... exersize get together with friends etc....

Whoever is getting offended by this thread should read the WHOLE THING. I wrote many times that I am not talking about situations where there will be no money unless the mother works. Im sure people agree on that point... Im talking about an attitude....

stem

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 9:27 pm
One woman who raised all 9 kids as a stay-at-home mother once told me (in one of my moments of depair), that if we don't feel like we are satisfied/happy/fulfilled being home raising the kids, then we have to find a way to teach ourselves to become that way. It's our most important role in life. She made it sound so matter-of-fact and simple. I guess the hard part is figuring out how to do it.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics