Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Which US cities are good for eczema sufferers?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 8:31 pm
I'm looking to take my DC for a week or two in middle of the winter when the eczema is at its peak, so that it can clear up before it gets infected, the story of my life each winter so far.

I'm looking into what the best location is. So far I've been hearing about Tucson, AZ which I heard is good for asthma, but IDK about how it affects eczema, and I hear Miami, FL is great but IDK if it's the sun, the humidity, or the ocean water. Will Orlando (where there are more kosher activities for us) accomplish the same? Are there other locations that are better?
All suggestions welcome.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 8:50 pm
My relative goes to Arizona with her eczema kids.

gibberish

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 8:59 pm
It depends on the cause for the eczema. Traveling won't necessarily help.

Often it is food related and the weather won't make a difference. Sometimes it's the east coast trees that are not found in the Arizona desert, so going to Arizona will help. Some people get eczema from the cacti in Arizona and it clears up when they travel east.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 9:08 pm
gibberish wrote:
It depends on the cause for the eczema. Traveling won't necessarily help.

Often it is food related and the weather won't make a difference. Sometimes it's the east coast trees that are not found in the Arizona desert, so going to Arizona will help. Some people get eczema from the cacti in Arizona and it clears up when they travel east.

It is food related but not food dependent, meaning even when kid is on strict diet, winter always brings on bad eczema, and summer even with cheats is always way better. This kid is also allergic to lots of local (NY, duh lol) trees and plants and dust.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 01 2019, 9:08 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
My relative goes to Arizona with her eczema kids.

Do you know where in AZ? Does it matter?

simcha2

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 3:21 am
Maybe Houston. Warm and humid. The winter is bad because the air is so dry.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 6:39 am
simcha2 wrote:
Maybe Houston. Warm and humid. The winter is bad because the air is so dry.

By that logic, AZ is not a good choice becasue even though there's lots of sun, it's very dry too.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 6:41 am
In my family, skin conditions that get worse in the winter are due to the dry air, especially indoor heating. Can you run humidifiers in your home all winter to offset some of that? Going to Miami has helped our skin, but I don't know that a week would help long term. It can take a week just to calm down a bit.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Oct 02 2019, 8:05 am
I know you asked about the US, but of course Yam Hamelech is excellent for this.

Zeleze

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 3:58 am
Davos In the Swiss Alps helps for a good few months, just a little far from the US

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 4:46 am
ShishKabob wrote:
I know you asked about the US, but of course Yam Hamelech is excellent for this.

My kids with eczema have it worsen at Yam Hamelech. They cant go in the water due to the burning sensation on their skin.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 7:55 am
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
In my family, skin conditions that get worse in the winter are due to the dry air, especially indoor heating. Can you run humidifiers in your home all winter to offset some of that? Going to Miami has helped our skin, but I don't know that a week would help long term. It can take a week just to calm down a bit.

It's interesting you say that because I noticed it on my own that when I run a warm air humidifier for a cough or other respiratory issue, the eczema calms down. It takes the edge off of it. But that year when we used it all winter every night, mold grew in the room. Since then I hold off on using it until the depths of the winter and even then only minimally.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 7:56 am
ShishKabob wrote:

My CC points won't get me that far. Sad

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 7:57 am
Zeleze wrote:
Davos In the Swiss Alps helps for a good few months, just a little far from the US

Nope, not gonna work. Too far. We can't be away that long either.

Chaya123

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 7:57 am
I agree that it depends what the eczema is coming from. Personally, for me, humidity and heat make it much worse so these warm places wouldn't help. Actually, the time that my allergies and eczema were best was in Jerusalem during my sem year. I couldn't believe what a diff life it was!

Chaya123

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 7:58 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
My kids with eczema have it worsen at Yam Hamelech. They cant go in the water due to the burning sensation on their skin.

Yes same here. I could never touch Yam Hamelach bec of all that salt. It's literally salt on the wounds!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 8:00 am
Chaya123 wrote:
I agree that it depends what the eczema is coming from. Personally, for me, humidity and heat make it much worse so these warm places wouldn't help. Actually, the time that my allergies and eczema were best was in Jerusalem during my sem year. I couldn't believe what a diff life it was!

Jerusalem has a pretty mild climate compared to NY. Definitely warmer.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 8:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's interesting you say that because I noticed it on my own that when I run a warm air humidifier for a cough or other respiratory issue, the eczema calms down. It takes the edge off of it. But that year when we used it all winter every night, mold grew in the room. Since then I hold off on using it until the depths of the winter and even then only minimally.

Use a cool must humidifier and clean it regularly with bleach.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 8:45 am
I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't really think changing climates for max 2 weeks will be enough to clear up much, at least without other variables put into place (dietary changes being a major one)....one thing I did find is that sweat exacerbates my kids' eczema but swimming in chlorinated pools helps because it does kill off the infections. If you have an indoor pool for the winter you can get membership to, it may be worth it.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 03 2019, 8:48 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I don't really think changing climates for max 2 weeks will be enough to clear up much, at least without other variables put into place (dietary changes being a major one)....one thing I did find is that sweat exacerbates my kids' eczema but swimming in chlorinated pools helps because it does kill off the infections. If you have an indoor pool for the winter you can get membership to, it may be worth it.

Good luck and enjoy your vacation!

Of course it's with dietary changes. We're not looking to get away scot-free. But in winter even with dietary changes the eczema gets really bad.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics